A Level German beeing recognised by unis? Watch

The Man111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys,
i have been told that because my nationality is german, unis would not recognise A level german...is that true or false? btw i born in iraq and my mother's tongue is arabic not german and iam iraqi myself

Iam sorted with my A levels except german.

Iam hoping to get AAA, German A, maths A and Chemistry A in order to go into my course...

Iam reali confused and totally down.

Thx guys
The Sherminator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is probably true I am afraid. They don't recognise native language A-levels, and as your nationality is that, it is true.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The best thing is to contact the universities in question for your course and see what they say. I'm in a similar position regarding French (though actually, my only connection is having lived and been educated in France for five years and now being fluent), though none of the universities I intend on on applying to will accept my A-Level in French.

The best thing is to contact the universities and see what they say as each department in each university has different views on the issue.
sharp910sh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most unis won't accept it as, the level you speak at when doing german, is nothing like english lit or eng lang. Just call up the unis.
Muppety_Kid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Man111)
Hi guys,
i have been told that because my nationality is german, unis would not recognise A level german...is that true or false? btw i born in iraq and my mother's tongue is arabic not german and iam iraqi myself

Iam sorted with my A levels except german.

Iam hoping to get AAA, German A, maths A and Chemistry A in order to go into my course...

Iam reali confused and totally down.

Thx guys
As The Sherminator says (and is ordinarily the case), if you have an A level in your mother tongue, it's not regarded as particularly...err...on the same level as someone else's A level in the subject because you haven't had to put as much work in. However, I imagine that your nationality won't affect the "value" of your A level in German if you explain that German's just your nationality, and you don't have any further connection. Being German doesn't mean you automatically speak the language!
The Man111
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Muppety_Kid)
As The Sherminator says (and is ordinarily the case), if you have an A level in your mother tongue, it's not regarded as particularly...err...on the same level as someone else's A level in the subject because you haven't had to put as much work in. However, I imagine that your nationality won't affect the "value" of your A level in German if you explain that German's just your nationality, and you don't have any further connection. Being German doesn't mean you automatically speak the language!
yeh thats what i was thinking...

iam just a german citiezen doesnt make me speak fluent german...i actually have to reviese for german as my other subjects in order to achive my goals

by the way
my german passport got expiered 2 months ago...can i make a british passport? as EU is united or something like that
The Sherminator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

iam just a german citiezen doesnt make me speak fluent german...i actually have to reviese for german as my other subjects in order to achive my goals

by the way
my german passport got expiered 2 months ago...can i make a british passport? as EU is united or something like that
If you held a German passport, I highly doubt they will accept that as part of your offer, unless you specifically ask and talk about it with each uni.
Try it though.
Muppety_Kid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

by the way
Nope, not as far as I'm aware. To get a British passport, you have to be British, so you'd have to apply for citizenship (which means passing yet another exam!). The fact that we're in Europe and Germany is too just means that we've got more freedom when travelling between countries. For example, Britain hasn't signed up to it, but a few other European countries have an ID card you can use instead of your passport (it might even be your driving licence...), so it's one less thing to remember. I think our agreements with European countries also mean there are different restrictions on what you can bring through customs in terms of duty free goods, although I'm not sure.

Anyway, the short answer is no, you can't have a British passport. Even if you did become a British citizen, I think you'd have to give up your German citizenship (not that it'd bother you, I imagine).
alejang
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, i was just wondering if you had any problems with the german A level in the end...im in the same situation. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (148)
27.82%
No (384)
72.18%

Watched Threads