MarlianNami
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
My school has really let me down, and so have I. I really want to study medicine, im up to date with Biology. But my other sciences Chemistry and Physics I am failing badly. The school hasnt been teaching us and ive forgotten everything Ive learnt.

Im in year 11 now as of September and will take my gcse in Yr 11. Do you think I can still get 7s and 8s I will need to do it at A Level?

How can I help myself learn the whole topic in 1 school year
Last edited by MarlianNami; 5 days ago
Maha03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Heyy! Don't worry so much, you have 1 more year in hand! I had studied chemistry for my year 11 which I completed this year. I had A* in my mocks and trust me there is a lot of material online through which you can help yourself . I would suggest, you can use this month to revise whatever you have forgotten with your notes and textbook.
You can also use your specifications as a checklist of what you have and have to learn next. I used to watch 'Science with Hazel' on YouTube as she solves past paper and explains the answer well so you can understand where you might be going wrong. There are lot more channels online which you could use.
Making flash cards to remember chemical formula and reactions might also help.
I suggest to solve alot of past papers as they help massively for exam practice.
Don't worry, if you can ace biology you can do this too ! believe in yourself and I wish you very best for year 11 and gcse!
hope I could help
cirrostratus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Heya I'm in year 12 and let me say this: you probably can get those grades so long as you're naturally academic/inclined to science [which i' assuming you are since you wanna do medicine] and you work smartly [not hard]. GCSEs aren't as good at sifting out the "dummies" from the "clever clogs" as we often think.

You cover everything once [at least] in year 11 so buy yourself an EXAM-BOARD SPECIFIC revision guide [textbooks won't help much since it's just GCSE and you've only 1 year left] for Bio, Chem, and Physics. It doesn't have to be brand-new; why not get a second-hand from Amazon? Gradually progress through it and convert the knowledge into flashcards/mindmaps if you want.

I self-taught the three sciences between January year 10 and exam season [so abt 1.5 years] and got two 9s and an 8 (Chemistry) so I'll tell you what I did

1) Read the specifications for your exam boards! You don't have to print them out [and if you do, don't print out every sheet because most of it is irrelevant to us students] but save them on your computer [which should be organised for your subjects]. The specs contain a checklist of all the things you'll need to learn to guarantee a grade 9. PRINT OUT ALL FORMULA SHEETS! Make flashcards for the formulas and equations that you'll need to memorise.

2) You can easily begin now; count the number of pages in your revision guides and count the number of weeks left between today and exams. Exclude holidays from your total so you can still take days off. Then, divide the Number of Pages by the Number of Weeks so you know how many pages you'd need to cover each week.

3) My self-study method was somewhat similar to (2) but since you're at school, it can be easier. ALWAYS ask your science teachers what they're gonna cover in the following week so you can prep. Watch Freesciencelessons on youtube and GCSEPod [if you have subscription] or Bitesize or anything else to help you. It's not about self-teaching but just going over everything lightly so you're somewhat familiar with the new terms etc.

4) This may seem controversial [idk] but if the homework seems unnecessary [i.e. tons of HW on a topic you're already great at] then you don;t have to do it. Only focus on homework that challenges you, and switch useless homework for something more stimulating.

5) Try to revise for topic assessments. I don't mean hardcore revision but just do a few exam questions to prep yourself.

6) As you near the exam season next year, you'll need exam papers. Revision and practice all-in-one guides probably already have a set and you can also get practice papers on your exam board website. Your teacher can help with this. Exam questions and papers seem daunting but they're the best way to study and remember things because they focus on active recall rather than the passive acknowledgment of info. Active-recall can also come from blurting. Type in "Unjaded Jade Blurting" on youtube.

However, active recall-based revision [questions, quizzes, flashcards, summarising, blurting, teaching others] may leave you feeling dumb or incompetent whereas passive study [rereading/rewriting notes or highlighting etc] makes us feel smarter and more satisfied with our progress. This is because passive study focuses on things we already know whereas active recall hones in on the things we struggle with. Human nature makes us want to validate our 'knowledge' and feel good about ourselves even though we barely know anything. Though active revision will make you worry more abt your potential/intelligence, it WILL help when you're in exams and you remember that mistake you used to make and how not to make it.

I hope this helped
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
take advantage of the summer you have left to catch up on content- you will have covered some in school so you've got several months worth of content to cover. have you been teaching yourself the content during lockdown?
get revision guides if you haven't got them already as this'll sum up the content in a concise way. create a revision/study timetable to organise your time so you don't feel as overwhelmed. you've got this :rave:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (20)
18.35%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (28)
25.69%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (61)
55.96%

Watched Threads