mc1927
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just wondering why whenever you go onto YouTube or search for PGCE review blogs they are nearly always from primary school teachers.

It's really annoying that hardly any secondary trainees/teachers relay their experiences.

I'm lucky in that I know a few secondary school teachers and a previous PGCE student from my course last year, but does anyone know why the web is dominated with the experiences of primary PGCE students and not Secondary?
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why don't you break the mould and vlog your own experience going through it.

Be the change...
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 1 week ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mc1927)
Just wondering why whenever you go onto YouTube or search for PGCE review blogs they are nearly always from primary school teachers.

It's really annoying that hardly any secondary trainees/teachers relay their experiences.

I'm lucky in that I know a few secondary school teachers and a previous PGCE student from my course last year, but does anyone know why the web is dominated with the experiences of primary PGCE students and not Secondary?
Secondary teachers especially are strongly encouraged to lock down their social media because otherwise students could find them, and this can cause real problems.

This is drummed into Secondary PGCE students so much that they probably wouldn't want to post about their experience on youtube, even if it was theoretically anonymous.

FWIW, I did blog about half my Secondary PGCE experience a GYG here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5551588

I don't know if time pressure is a thing as well? I think on a secondary PGCE, you often have longer commutes, and sometimes more after school commitments, even though once in the job, primary teachers tend to work more hours?
Prefect1992
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Secondary teachers especially are strongly encouraged to lock down their social media because otherwise students could find them, and this can cause real problems.

This is drummed into Secondary PGCE students so much that they probably wouldn't want to post about their experience on youtube, even if it was theoretically anonymous.

FWIW, I did blog about half my Secondary PGCE experience a GYG here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5551588

I don't know if time pressure is a thing as well? I think on a secondary PGCE, you often have longer commutes, and sometimes more after school commitments, even though once in the job, primary teachers tend to work more hours?
This, also those on Primary PGCE courses are often encouraged to blog about it as it looks good on the university and then you get the inevitable shill videos hosted/ promoted on youtube. Not trying to throw shade at the profession here, but it's just the disingenous practices used to attract potential candidates that irritate me. It's always these happy go lucky videos that make the job seem like a complete doddle or the videos that make it look like you actually get appreciated...
Last edited by Prefect1992; 2 weeks ago
username5359312
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From experience, I'd say secondary teachers perhaps wouldn't because they don't have as much free time due to aspects such as additional GCSE/A-level interventions or just generally greater workloads due to higher numbers of students - I teach 400 pupils and I'm responsible for curriculum setting, marking books and frequent assessments alongside maintaining various performance tracking data and more. My friend who's a primary school teacher marks books far more frequently than I do, but at the same time they're not marking and providing individualised feedback on essay style questions for 90 year 10 students preparing for their GCSEs... on top of 100+ 30 mark Year. 8 assessments and the rest. Rather, they're marking spelling, understanding of adjectives etc. and are solely responsible for one class for the whole year.

In another light, I'd argue teenagers are more likely to be on such social media platforms and therefore many teachers may be cautious about having an online presence. There are many safe guarding aspects that both sides need to consider and to be honest, I wouldn't want the stress of this on top of my usual stress if a student were to find a video/a parent were to complain etc. I've never been actively discouraged from using social media accounts or having an online presence, but in training we are made aware of the risks associated with this.

ALSO, what is there to talk about? I'd love to make videos on behaviour management techniques, experiences, planning strategies etc. but then that's giving away my secrets to any potential student viewers!!!!! lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (6)
4.2%
Confident (14)
9.79%
Indifferent (15)
10.49%
Unsure (31)
21.68%
Worried (77)
53.85%

Watched Threads