Turn on thread page Beta

help- my guinea pig has a sore infected eye:( watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i was cleaning his cage out earlier and noticed his right eyelid was sore and inflamed, and it looks like the area around leading up to his nose has been badly scratched. it has scabbed and i wiped the area with a bit of saltwater on cotton wool to clean it and help heal.
    my question is: will it heal by itself or is it something more serious needing antibiotics do you think?

thanks

x

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about it, or even questioning what you should do, the best course of action would be to take it to the Vets. At the very least they can put your mind at ease.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Super-Sneff)
    If you're worried about it, or even questioning what you should do, the best course of action would be to take it to the Vets. At the very least they can put your mind at ease.
    yeah you are right i probably should take him to the vets. i'll see how it is tomorrow nand if it's not gotten any better or is goin even worse then i'll take him to the vets straight away. ive only had him two weeks poor thing. i really dont know how he's done it:cry:

ReputationRep:
    its scratched and you used salt water? did you want your guinea pig to burn or something?
    that aside my dog had something similar we put mittens on her so she couldnt scratch/rub it and it went away in 2 days!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by chr15chr15)
    its scratched and you used salt water? did you want your guinea pig to burn or something?
    that aside my dog had something similar we put mittens on her so she couldnt scratch/rub it and it went away in 2 days!
    i didnt put in in the eye. just the area around. saltwater doesnt burn anything- how else would we survive in the sea lol. saltwater actually helps to heal wounds.
    i dont know if they have mittens for guinea pigs

ReputationRep:
    you clearly have never put salt in a cut then?
    by mittens i mean those cloths you use for polishing and elastic bands!
    i think we had to use 2 on each feet to make them thick enough though!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ahhh he does have rather long claws. hmm the pet shop said they were fine and ive only had him two weeks i guess they do need cutting. i really have no idea how he got the sore eye and the cut. unless he like charged into a really sharp piece of carrot...

ReputationRep:
    The vet can give you antibiotic eye drops/cream to administer; it will sooth the pain and time will heal it. Ive seen scratched eyes over the years and its nothing an antibiotic wont cure, if its left unattended though it will become affected and very sore and unberable. Take your piggy to the vet first thing tommorow ok, for his sake

hope it goes well xx

ReputationRep:
    I would take your guinea pig to the vet just to get it checked out. It does not sound seriously but just go and get it over and done.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thanks for the replies guys i will take him to the vets asap (im workin today). hopefully its nothing mnajor and he's not gone blind or anythin. he's been shivering and chattering his teeth as well when i try to tned to the cut. i think that means he's frightened and a bit peed off. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    have you checked his eye to see what might be causing it to scratch...a piece of sawdust maybe or something from his bedding?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.