Have to make a terrible decision today. Advice?

Watch
integrityoflife
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So today is the last day that I can cancel accommodation for a university course that I am unsure whether or not I want to do. I like the subject, but it wouldn't lead to any jobs that I like.

It's too late to defer from the university that I have applied to, so that is no longer an option.

I've considered doing a gap year with the intention of applying for a law degree (instead of the English degree I have applied to) but reapplying amidst this pandemic (and while lots of people are differing = less spaces next year) sounds so uncertain, especially with my lack of a solid gap year plan.

My current choice gives me some brief stability but it could be a major waste of money and I have no desire to do any jobs that come after an English degree.

I have researched both options extensively and have no idea what to do anyway.

I have no idea what to do and I'm paralysed by uncertainty.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

(Thank you.)
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by integrityoflife)
So today is the last day that I can cancel accommodation for a university course that I am unsure whether or not I want to do. I like the subject, but it wouldn't lead to any jobs that I like.

It's too late to defer from the university that I have applied to, so that is no longer an option.

I've considered doing a gap year with the intention of applying for a law degree (instead of the English degree I have applied to) but reapplying amidst this pandemic (and while lots of people are differing = less spaces next year) sounds so uncertain, especially with my lack of a solid gap year plan.

My current choice gives me some brief stability but it could be a major waste of money and I have no desire to do any jobs that come after an English degree.

(Thank you.)
Just a couple of things.

Only you can make this decision

You can still go into law with a English degree but you would have to the GDL (graduate diploma in law) after your degree. Lots of humanity subjects also dont link directly to one industry, if you learn lots of skills you can still get a good grad job

Despite what you think about students differing, at this moment in time, less students have differed (by 1% relative to last year).
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Call the university and ask if it is possible to switch from English to law. Someone might come along and say that is impossible but I think people have managed it over the years.
Also half of lawyers read another subject for their degree and then do the GDL conversion course after
DrPuddleduck
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would say don't do a degree if it's not leading you anywhere.

Basically degrees are unbelievably expensive; it's a debt that will keep piling up and will haunt you for years and years. If the degree is lining you up for a great job that you feel confident you'll like and be good at, then it's worth the money. If not, I'd definitely wait a year, or if you can convince your university to let you switch to a different (better) course then do that.

I definitely think you should cancel the accommodation if you're on the fence about the degree. Even if you do decide to still go there, you can always sort yourself out with a room to rent somewhere.
Last edited by DrPuddleduck; 2 weeks ago
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

(Thank you.)
As others have said, you can still go into law after your English degree. There are lots of law places available via clearing - in some decent unis too - Exeter, Lancaster, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester. You will need AAA for most of them so you can still begin the law course in Sept.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

(Thank you.)
Hi integrityoflife,
If you want to study English - do it!
There's no set job after studying English - you'll be able to do virtually anything you want to do after your degree, include becoming a lawyer.
If you enjoy the subject, do it! You can apply for internships, jobs and work experience alongside your degree which will have a greater affect on your job application than your actual degree title. Furthermore, studying any degree, including English will give you valuable skills that are important to employers.
Like I said, there's no set jobs you'd have to do after studying English, the majority of careers will be open to you.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (124)
24.55%
Better than expected (105)
20.79%
Worse than expected (276)
54.65%

Watched Threads