English language and literature (combined) a level

Watch
tarasewiczE11387
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Does anyone know anything about this a level? My sixth has very little info on it but it sounds interesting enough as a third..? From what I figured- very little resources; hope someone can share their experience. Thank you to the moon and back! (?)
username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did English combined for AS, and it was really good! I only dropped it because I got better marks in my other options. There will be LOTS of reading of every kind of writing, but usually it's interesting stuff (my favourite was studying A Streetcar Named Desire, but yours may be different depending on examboard). From what I remember of when we were preparing for A Level (year 13) there's more language stuff and coursework.
Hannahmatopoeia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I took the AQA Lit/Lang course (finished this year)

We studied The Handmaid's Tale, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Great Gatsby, John Donne poems and an anthology of texts about Paris.

For the combined course, you need to build up a knowledge of linguistic terminology (not just terms like metaphor, but also plosives, homodiegetic narratology...) (DM me if you take this course and want a Quizlet!) - this is one of the main differences between the combined course and the lit course.

As it's a combined course, you do get to study novels , but another key difference is that you also study all kinds of other texts ('multimodal' literature, eg. magazine articles/blogs/audio transcripts from adverts). I really enjoyed this as an alternative to just studying literature as it meant that I'm now more able to apply analysis to any text I'm given!

The coursework is quite unusual - I found it really useful to start early! You have to compare a literary text (in my case everyone used the Wasp Factory) with a non-literary text (again eg. magazine article...) and include the linguistic theories of others in applying analysis (eg. Goffmann, 19**, put forward the concept of face work, whereby someone can make someone feel confident or weak through their use of conversation... This applies to my text here...)

It's a good idea to choose your coursework theme (there will be a few) as early as possible, and to start collecting the names of the individuals who coined the terminologies.

I really enjoyed studying the combined course as opposed to either of the separate courses. I came out of GCSEs with the same grade in both lit and lang, and I liked the idea of being able to build up my knowledge of terminology as well as read something new!

As well as the unconventional texts, coursework and approach, the exam style will be a little bit different for one paper. In my case, this was the Gatsby exam paper. You have to write a creative piece in the style of the novel, from the perspective of a set side character, and then analyse your own work with reasons for your use of specific techniques (tip: deliberately include a set example of a few in each one so you can give a standard response each time!). This was a really nice change, especially with the creative element.

The best thing about the whole course: open book exams! You can take an unmarked copy of all of your texts into the exam, so no more quote memorisation!

I hope this helps feel free to message me if you have any more questions!
tarasewiczE11387
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Hannahmatopoeia)
I took the AQA Lit/Lang course (finished this year)

We studied The Handmaid's Tale, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Great Gatsby, John Donne poems and an anthology of texts about Paris.

For the combined course, you need to build up a knowledge of linguistic terminology (not just terms like metaphor, but also plosives, homodiegetic narratology...) (DM me if you take this course and want a Quizlet!) - this is one of the main differences between the combined course and the lit course.

As it's a combined course, you do get to study novels , but another key difference is that you also study all kinds of other texts ('multimodal' literature, eg. magazine articles/blogs/audio transcripts from adverts). I really enjoyed this as an alternative to just studying literature as it meant that I'm now more able to apply analysis to any text I'm given!

The coursework is quite unusual - I found it really useful to start early! You have to compare a literary text (in my case everyone used the Wasp Factory) with a non-literary text (again eg. magazine article...) and include the linguistic theories of others in applying analysis (eg. Goffmann, 19**, put forward the concept of face work, whereby someone can make someone feel confident or weak through their use of conversation... This applies to my text here...)

It's a good idea to choose your coursework theme (there will be a few) as early as possible, and to start collecting the names of the individuals who coined the terminologies.

I really enjoyed studying the combined course as opposed to either of the separate courses. I came out of GCSEs with the same grade in both lit and lang, and I liked the idea of being able to build up my knowledge of terminology as well as read something new!

As well as the unconventional texts, coursework and approach, the exam style will be a little bit different for one paper. In my case, this was the Gatsby exam paper. You have to write a creative piece in the style of the novel, from the perspective of a set side character, and then analyse your own work with reasons for your use of specific techniques (tip: deliberately include a set example of a few in each one so you can give a standard response each time!). This was a really nice change, especially with the creative element.

The best thing about the whole course: open book exams! You can take an unmarked copy of all of your texts into the exam, so no more quote memorisation!

I hope this helps feel free to message me if you have any more questions!
Thank you for the beautifully put summary (-honestly better than the spec lol). I'm not sure I'll be taking it this year however I'm certain it will help many who are thinking about it:jiggy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (118)
25.27%
Better than expected (97)
20.77%
Worse than expected (252)
53.96%

Watched Threads