JessD3333
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, does anyone have any book recommendations to explore modern languages (specifically French and Spanish) further/ get a deeper understanding of the subject? It would be really useful especially if you have already applied to uni/are currently at uni.

Thanks
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Espançais any recommendations?
KittyN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I do French at uni. What kind of books are you looking for? French novels and things? Or books about French history, French grammar, or something else?
KittyN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I do French at uni. What kind of books are you looking for? French novels and things? Or books about French history, French grammar, or something else?
Espançais
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
PetitePanda thanks for the mention!
It depends what you fancy reading 😊
A really good way to find out more about the culture is to read literature of different kinds. When I was in sixth form I read some short stories and some poems, and I watched a few plays on YouTube, as well as films. If you can say whether it's literature you're looking for or history etc, I can give more detailed suggestions
JessD3333
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by KittyN)
Hey, some novel recommendations or books about french history would be great
JessD3333
Rep:
?
(Original post by Espançais)
PetitePanda thanks for the mention!
It depends what you fancy reading 😊
A really good way to find out more about the culture is to read literature of different kinds. When I was in sixth form I read some short stories and some poems, and I watched a few plays on YouTube, as well as films. If you can say whether it's literature you're looking for or history etc, I can give more detailed suggestions
Thank you! I will definitely look at plays, poems and short stories. Literature would be great as the degrees I am looking at focus on it more however if you had any history recommendations that would also be really helpful
Yourbooksplug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I understand your zeal for learning new languages. I will like to inform you that I have all the necessary books and novels that you will be needing to learn French and Spainish. You will get this books in PDF format (ebooks) half the price of what it is listed. Pm for deets.
Espançais
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by JessD3333)
Thank you! I will definitely look at plays, poems and short stories. Literature would be great as the degrees I am looking at focus on it more however if you had any history recommendations that would also be really helpful
My degree (Oxford) is also very literature focused - is this for your personal statement? The Penguin book of short stories in Spanish is good, bc it has the English translation alongside. Also watching plays on YouTube is fun, I would very much recommend Molière's Tartuffe (very funny, still relevant to today's society) and maybe some golden age Spanish playwrights like Calderón, if you're into that. You can get a lot of older Spanish poetry online,especially the ballads from medieval to modern, poets like Machado and García Lorca. Think about what you've enjoyed reading / studying in English and go for a similar era/ genre in French or Spanish. The best piece of advice I got was to try and find "threads" through the reading, so one book leads to another which leads to some research on X which lead to an interest in.... For history, I'm currently reading A Penguin History of Latin America, which is good, but a solid skim through some wiki pages should give you enough background on the literature for now if it's a literature based course. Of course, if you're particularly interested in an aspect of history, you could do your own mini research project into it which always looks good (can include films, documentaries, contemporary books etc as well as history books)
Espançais
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'd also say, if you're not enjoying something, try something else - life is too short to struggle through a novel you're not into!
JessD3333
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yourbooksplug)
I understand your zeal for learning new languages. I will like to inform you that I have all the necessary books and novels that you will be needing to learn French and Spainish. You will get this books in PDF format (ebooks) half the price of what it is listed. Pm for deets.
Thank you!
JessD3333
Rep:
?
My degree (Oxford) is also very literature focused - is this for your personal statement? The Penguin book of short stories in Spanish is good, bc it has the English translation alongside. Also watching plays on YouTube is fun, I would very much recommend Molière's Tartuffe (very funny, still relevant to today's society) and maybe some golden age Spanish playwrights like Calderón, if you're into that. You can get a lot of older Spanish poetry online,especially the ballads from medieval to modern, poets like Machado and García Lorca. Think about what you've enjoyed reading / studying in English and go for a similar era/ genre in French or Spanish. The best piece of advice I got was to try and find "threads" through the reading, so one book leads to another which leads to some research on X which lead to an interest in.... For history, I'm currently reading A Penguin History of Latin America, which is good, but a solid skim through some wiki pages should give you enough background on the literature for now if it's a literature based course. Of course, if you're particularly interested in an aspect of history, you could do your own mini research project into it which always looks good (can include films, documentaries, contemporary books etc as well as history books)
Thank you so much for the literature recommendations! Yes it is mainly for my personal statement but also to read further into languages. French and Spanish at oxford is my dream university course so you replying is so helpful. The thread idea is great I will definitely try to achieve that, and I will do some more history research too.
JessD3333
Rep:
?
I'd also say, if you're not enjoying something, try something else - life is too short to struggle through a novel you're not into!
noted, thank you!
Espançais
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thank you so much for the literature recommendations! Yes it is mainly for my personal statement but also to read further into languages. French and Spanish at oxford is my dream university course so you replying is so helpful. The thread idea is great I will definitely try to achieve that, and I will do some more history research too.
Ayyyy that's brilliant, I love my degree! Lmk if you have any more questions about the course/ admissions / books etc and I'll do my best to help
JessD3333
Rep:
?
Ayyyy that's brilliant, I love my degree! Lmk if you have any more questions about the course/ admissions / books etc and I'll do my best to help
Thanks so much, I'm glad you enjoy it! Did you do English literature A-level, If you didn't how did you prepare for the interview? Do you have any other interview tips?
Espançais
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks so much, I'm glad you enjoy it! Did you do English literature A-level, If you didn't how did you prepare for the interview? Do you have any other interview tips?
I did do English literature A level and it definitely helped. I practiced talking about poems and short prose extracts (both in French / Spanish and in English) which was useful. My friend was applying for English at Cambridge so we practiced together. I'd say also be prepared to talk about books you put on your ps, and preferably expand with related stuff you've read. They tend to push you to analyse whatever literature you might mention in your interview, as well as the text they give you (which might be in the target language or in English, or one of each). The bit in the language is usually quite short, just a simple bit of conversation about the country or something A level-y. In general, I'd say try to keep calm and give yourself time to think. If you change your mind about something, that's okay too. And don't be afraid to disagree a little with the interviewer, sometimes they might play devil's advocate just to see how you think
JessD3333
Rep:
?
I did do English literature A level and it definitely helped. I practiced talking about poems and short prose extracts (both in French / Spanish and in English) which was useful. My friend was applying for English at Cambridge so we practiced together. I'd say also be prepared to talk about books you put on your ps, and preferably expand with related stuff you've read. They tend to push you to analyse whatever literature you might mention in your interview, as well as the text they give you (which might be in the target language or in English, or one of each). The bit in the language is usually quite short, just a simple bit of conversation about the country or something A level-y. In general, I'd say try to keep calm and give yourself time to think. If you change your mind about something, that's okay too. And don't be afraid to disagree a little with the interviewer, sometimes they might play devil's advocate just to see how you think
Thank you so much, these are great tips
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise