Approximate living expenses in UK

Watch
gianca_dlra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Approximately how much living expenses are due in the following cities as an international student?
-Manchester
-Bristol
-Birmingham
-Sheffield
Including both academical issues and personal lifestyle.
Thank you!
Lobster Guy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think you'll find your answers on here.
https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/cos...ving-in-the-uk
Lucerobris
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can speak for bristol as I am an international student there. Rooms would be £595 for a decent room in Clifton village which is right next to most of the uni buildings. A studio in some student accommodation is around £600-£750 for companies like Vita Student. I was in WaterLane Apartments and was £650 for a single studio. Included wifi, gym, cinema room, etc. Was very nice. Bus rides with the student discount would be like £45 a month? I dont know. I walked everywhere and most students walk everywhere. I always advice getting private accommodation/ studios instead of rooms. Doesnt matter how much it cost, the convenience of privacy and peace of mind should not be on a budget. Food wise is fine, most of the time you can turn up to tesco after 6pm and there are loads of things reduced. Most supermarkets reduce their prices on things going off. But mind those items have a "best before" and "expired" and "display until" all means different. Just yesterday I spent under £2 for a whole loaf of bread, turkey ham, oranges and a pasta pot. All which I can eat for 2/3 days so food can be super cheap! Eating out in Bristol can be super cheap too. 90% of restaurants throughout the city does starter + main course for like under £20. So a lot of socials of the student societies will meet/ have their ball meal in such places. Also you can download wriggle app, which gives you discounts on restaurants or Too Good To Go app which you buy a "magic bag" for like under £4 and you get a goodie bag with items that can reach as much as £25. Overall, bristol can be quite affordable and so much to do! Just research. Theres a lot of activities to do that are for free too, like banksy tours, bristol balloon fiesta, museums, hiking, etc
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gianca_dlra)
Approximately how much living expenses are due in the following cities as an international student?
-Manchester
-Bristol
-Birmingham
-Sheffield
Including both academical issues and personal lifestyle.
Thank you!
Hey,

I've been studying at the University of Sheffield for two years now and I'm an international student myself. I initially came here not knowing anything about the cost of living, so I allocated around 2-3 months for budgeting to see how much I'd normally spend (since it was a completely different environment, a different country and a different currency). I recommend doing this if you can, because you'll get a clearer picture of your own spending habits and needs. According to my calculations, my average for groceries was around £50/week in my first year, usually shopping from the closest supermarket (which was a Morrisons, 10 minutes away from the Uni accommodation). I was paying around £140/week for rent, and that was definitely not the cheapest option in terms of accommodation, there are others at a lower price which are just as nice. Going out was costing me about £20/week, but that varied a lot depending on how often I'd go out, because in my case it wasn't really a weekly thing.

In my second year, I lived closer to an Aldi, so my grocery expenses went down to around £30-40 per week, and I was paying a lot less for accommodation (around £100/week). I also got a casual/part-time job to gain some extra money and I naturally started going out less often (and spending more wisely when I was).

I'd say Sheffield is a pretty affordable city and you can definitely budget according to your needs and preferences. There are also loads of part-time job opportunities, either within the University or the Students' Union, or just around the city. If you'd like to know more about what it's like to study at Sheffield, feel free to ask!

– Andreea
BA Politics & Philosophy
2nd Year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.55%
Confident (14)
9.09%
Indifferent (16)
10.39%
Unsure (37)
24.03%
Worried (80)
51.95%

Watched Threads