What is workload like for A-level History and English lit?

Watch
vanillacoke
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I chose the wrong subjects for A-level and completely went against my natural abilities (Essay and humanities subjects) and instead chose hard sciences with hopes of doing a STEM degree for the money which lead me to perform badly at sixth form. I know my results are going to be awful and I am thinking of effectively redoing year 13 through a distance learning course and sitting the exams next summer as a private candidate.

I plan to keep one of the three subjects I did at A-level (Biology) and start new with two of the subjects I should have done originally, History and English lit.

My question is, is it possible to get History and English lit done in one year, including coursework, with one to one tutoring? Or is the workload too much?

(I achieved an A and two 8s in History and English Lang and lit respectively at GCSE).
If anyone could help me would be appreciated.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by vanillacoke)
I chose the wrong subjects for A-level and completely went against my natural abilities (Essay and humanities subjects) and instead chose hard sciences with hopes of doing a STEM degree for the money which lead me to perform badly at sixth form. I know my results are going to be awful and I am thinking of effectively redoing year 13 through a distance learning course and sitting the exams next summer as a private candidate.

I plan to keep one of the three subjects I did at A-level (Biology) and start new with two of the subjects I should have done originally, History and English lit.

My question is, is it possible to get History and English lit done in one year, including coursework, with one to one tutoring? Or is the workload too much?

(I achieved an A and two 8s in History and English Lang and lit respectively at GCSE).
If anyone could help me would be appreciated.
Possible, but you might not perform as well.
Would be easier if you really enjoyed them.
English has books plays and poems.
History has large volume. It might drown you.
If you are 19, then you could consider an Access course, but less likely if you got a really good grade for Bio.
You should have made the choice last Summer and resat Y12.
vanillacoke
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I do really enjoy them especially history, I've always been interested in it at school and outside of it. Would be somewhat rusty having not done real essays for along time but still feel I could do it.

I might do English language/literature instead of just English literature as it seems the workload is a bit less? Could be wrong but if it is it could take some pressure off, although literature is still held in higher regard at most unis so not sure.
Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Would you be retaking your Biology A-Level or just using your achieved grade in it? I would suspect that doing English and History alone in one year would be feasible, but adding in revision in a third subject might make it difficult.

I did A-Levels in English Lit, RS and French (which I already spoke at a high standard, but still had to do some preparation for) as a private candidate in the space of a year and a half - I started in February 2018 and took my exams in summer 2019. This was a reasonable workload, but I imagine it would be quite intense to try and do the same amount of work in less time. It would depend on how much Biology revision you would need, I suppose (I have heard that it is a very content-heavy subject).

Have you chosen your distance learning provider yet? The only one I would recommend is Oxford Open Learning, which is remarkably helpful and rigorous and fully supervises the coursework components for English and History.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (38)
5.81%
Uncertainty around my education (77)
11.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
11.01%
Lack of purpose or motivation (83)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.66%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.66%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (70)
10.7%
Financial worries (41)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (26)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (39)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (19)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (63)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (52)
7.95%

Watched Threads