The Student Room Group

I ploughed through a zebra crossing by accident.

Usually, it's me pointing the finger at inconsiderate drivers on here.. a turn!

I was driving through a village this afternoon and I'm not particularly familiar with this street in question. For whatever reason, worrying about my speed (it chop and changes from 20-30-20 etc often) and just general being aware of other things... I didn't quite spot the zebra crossing right in front of me.

It feels as if I probably spotted the crossing but it didn't register in my mind on time but either way it was clear when I did notice that I was literally touching the crossing at this point and it'd have been dangerous to me (and pointless cos I'd have passed the crossing) to do an emergency stop.

There were kids waiting on the roadside and thankfully they did not cross the street. They stayed put.

Was wondering if there are usually cameras that pick up this kind of thing? I looked it up and apparently not giving way at a crossing is 3 points and £100.

I know what I did was negligent and as someone with quite young siblings back home, I'm relieved that it's nothing more than me moaning on TSR about possibly getting nabbed by a camera or someone's dashcam.
If a pedestrian has stepped onto the road, it is the driver responsibility to stop and allow them to reach the other side safely. ... Failing to stop at a zebra crossing while a pedestrian is still on the road could land you with a hefty fine and points on your licence.
Why was a zebra crossing the road?
Reply 3
Original post by Lobster Guy
If a pedestrian has stepped onto the road, it is the driver responsibility to stop and allow them to reach the other side safely. ... Failing to stop at a zebra crossing while a pedestrian is still on the road could land you with a hefty fine and points on your licence.

Nah. The kids didn't step out, were just stood on the pavement waiting. I feel they saw me coming while all the other traffic (behind me and on the opposite side) stopped.
Original post by Andrew97
Why was a zebra crossing the road?

:biggrin: I shouldn't laugh but guilty lmao
Original post by FRS500
Nah. The kids didn't step out, were just stood on the pavement waiting. I feel they saw me coming while all the other traffic (behind me and on the opposite side) stopped.

:biggrin: I shouldn't laugh but guilty lmao

I'm sure it'll just pass, you better hope. It would have been worse if someone had stepped on the road. Best of wishes with it all. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by FRS500
Usually, it's me pointing the finger at inconsiderate drivers on here.. a turn!

I was driving through a village this afternoon and I'm not particularly familiar with this street in question. For whatever reason, worrying about my speed (it chop and changes from 20-30-20 etc often) and just general being aware of other things... I didn't quite spot the zebra crossing right in front of me.

It feels as if I probably spotted the crossing but it didn't register in my mind on time but either way it was clear when I did notice that I was literally touching the crossing at this point and it'd have been dangerous to me (and pointless cos I'd have passed the crossing) to do an emergency stop.

There were kids waiting on the roadside and thankfully they did not cross the street. They stayed put.

Was wondering if there are usually cameras that pick up this kind of thing? I looked it up and apparently not giving way at a crossing is 3 points and £100.

I know what I did was negligent and as someone with quite young siblings back home, I'm relieved that it's nothing more than me moaning on TSR about possibly getting nabbed by a camera or someone's dashcam.

My understanding is that unless they had stepped on to the road you are legally in the clear, but obviously that doesn't stop the pedestrians thinking you're a bit of a knob (you're a good user, I'm sure this was a one off, don't take offense!).
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
My understanding is that unless they had stepped on to the road you are legally in the clear, but obviously that doesn't stop the pedestrians thinking you're a bit of a knob (you're a good user, I'm sure this was a one off, don't take offense!).

Haha no offence taken! I'll defo be a lot more aware next time passing through
Reply 7
i know this is 3 years old but can i ask if you ever got points or anything? just had a silimar thing happen to me
nothing will happen g 😭 its a zebra crossing not area 51