PuddingBear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
So I’m doing my student finance for my second year at university, and am not sure if I should mention my anxiety where it says you can. I didn’t do so last year because I wasn’t sure if it would negatively affect my student finance or not, or if it would be mentioned at university.
How would it affect my student finance exactly? Would I get less in terms of my loan/grant, and do I have to fill out a longer form?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PuddingBear)
Hi,
So I’m doing my student finance for my second year at university, and am not sure if I should mention my anxiety where it says you can. I didn’t do so last year because I wasn’t sure if it would negatively affect my student finance or not, or if it would be mentioned at university.
How would it affect my student finance exactly? Would I get less in terms of my loan/grant, and do I have to fill out a longer form?
On the SFE form theres a place to mention your MH?
Have you been diagnosed?

Imo I would mention it because on TSR there are regular threads about people having mh difficulties, doing poorly, hiding in their rooms, but never telling anyone. The fact you have a bit of written evidence and told them in advance could be useful.
If the anxiety is interfering with life, then you should seek out help, preferably with a healthcare professional or uni support services.
KittyN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
Why would you get less money for having anxiety?

It definitely won't affect your student loan. I don't even remember it asking about medical conditions (SFE - I guess other funders may be different)

Or are you considering applying for Disabled Students Allowance for your anxiety? In which case, yes, you'd have to fill out more forms and get medical evidence. They won't give you cash but may be able to fund things like a mental health support worker at uni.
PuddingBear
Rep:
?
(Original post by KittyN)
Why would you get less money for having anxiety?

It definitely won't affect your student loan. I don't even remember it asking about medical conditions (SFE - I guess other funders may be different)

Or are you considering applying for Disabled Students Allowance for your anxiety? In which case, yes, you'd have to fill out more forms and get medical evidence. They won't give you cash but may be able to fund things like a mental health support worker at uni.
A mental health support worker sounds like a counsellor...I’ve done counselling a couple times, but I didn’t find it helpful for me.
I’ll just leave it, and do the finance normally. Thank you!
PuddingBear
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
On the SFE form theres a place to mention your MH?
Have you been diagnosed?

Imo I would mention it because on TSR there are regular threads about people having mh difficulties, doing poorly, hiding in their rooms, but never telling anyone. The fact you have a bit of written evidence and told them in advance could be useful.
If the anxiety is interfering with life, then you should seek out help, preferably with a healthcare professional or uni support services.
I seem to have generalised anxiety according to my GP. I’ve seen a counsellor a couple times, but it didn’t help with me, and I’m assuming the healthcare professionals are the same.
Thx though for the advice!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
I seem to have generalised anxiety according to my GP. I’ve seen a counsellor a couple times, but it didn’t help with me, and I’m assuming the healthcare professionals are the same.
Thx though for the advice!
Not sure why sfe would be interested, perhaps its to alert them to see if you have a serious condition which might entitle you to additional funding? Why not ask sfe? Nothing to worry about though. Anxiety is par for the course on TSR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (160)
38.55%
Take autumn exams (126)
30.36%
Look for a job (15)
3.61%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.34%
Take a year out (70)
16.87%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
6.27%

Watched Threads