MattW02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Could anyone read over this LNAT practice essay I wrote and give constructive criticism. Thanks so much! Feel free to be as brutal as possible, I won’t be offended.

Should universities be allowed to charge fees?

Universities should be allowed to charge fees because this will ultimately lead to students working harder for their degree. Furthermore if universities were to be free for citizens, the tax payer would have to pay. This would be an unfair burden on many tax payers who never went to university. Some might argue that they should be free because people have a human right to a free education but many jobs do not require a university education, therefore, university should be seen as an optional extra. Universities could be seen to be inaccessible because of their fees, however, this is not the case because students have the ability to receive loans and scholarships.

As a direct result of university fees, students are more likely to be committed to working hard on their course. Students working hard creates a better working environment for other students and allows tutors to challenge students as much as possible. This is because students will want to get value for their money spent. In addition, potential students who would not work hard at university are deterred from going as they are more likely to want to spend money elsewhere if the weak degree they leave university with won’t help them as much. Universities should be a place where academic potential can be fully enriched and if people are going ‘just for the fun of it,’ then this is less likely to be the case. Another reason why universities should be allowed to charge fees is because of the potential burden on the taxpayer. If students weren’t to pay for their degrees, then it is likely that the tax payer would have to pay. Only 27% of the UK attends university, yet, if there were no fees then the majority of the population would have to pay for the minorities education.

Some people might argue that universities are inaccessible to many because of their fees. In a society where equality is a fundamental principle, it is argued that charging fees gives the rich more opportunity than the poor. However, this is not the case because students can take out loans for courses and pay them back with the increased salary earned with a university degree. A fundamental human right is the right to a free education. It is argued that, by charging fees, universities are violating peoples human right. On the other hand, many people are successful without university education and a university degree is not needed for many jobs. Therefore, university should be seen as an optional extra to an education. This means that human rights aren’t being violated because people can get jobs after receiving a full education without university.

Overall, universities should be allowed to charge fees because it allows students to reach their full potential as they are more invested in getting value for money. University fees also prevent an unfair burden being placed on a non-university educated tax payer. University should be seen as an optional extra to a full education because without it, one is able to have a successful working career. It is argued that university fees are unfair because they make universities inaccessible to the poor. Contrastingly, the poor can access universities through loans and scholarships.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads