What does a part time carer mean?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I looked after my sister who had severe depression and sucidal thoughts as well as, anxiety and autism during my A levels. I suspect that my mum has aspengers too as she is emotionally unavailable and hard to speak too. I discussed the issues with her, but it was a traumatic experience as she was hearing voices and seeing delusions. She said she had bad thoughts and it was because of her severe bullying, but I was worried that she has Schizophrenia. Can I mention this as extenuating circumstances form for affecting my performance? I felt quite triggered attending my law A level classes as it was based on topics related to my home life.
Georgie Austin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I looked after my sister who had severe depression and sucidal thoughts as well as, anxiety and autism during my A levels. I suspect that my mum has aspengers too as she is emotionally unavailable and hard to speak too. I discussed the issues with her, but it was a traumatic experience as she was hearing voices and seeing delusions. She said she had bad thoughts and it was because of her severe bullying, but I was worried that she has Schizophrenia. Can I mention this as extenuating circumstances form for affecting my performance? I felt quite triggered attending my law A level classes as it was based on topics related to my home life.
Anonymous I understand about what your saying about your mother and sister who have severe like mental health issues such as depression and I know you are probably worried about them right now so if your sister is having suicidal thoughts call the Samaritans and their phone number is: Phone: 0330 094 5717 so please call this number as soon as possible and also get them into counseling and therapy. 1 key tip they have medicine for depression.Please I wish you the best for you and your family and I hope these tips helped you and hopefully you get it all sorted also let me know how it went.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm a little confused trying to follow this. Your sister has depression, anxiety and autism? And your mum has hallucinations? Regardless, this is an EC, but you should try to inform your teachers as soon as possible. Are you going into year 13? Are any of you getting mental health support?
Georgie Austin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A part-time job is a form of employment that carries fewer hours per week than a full-time job so when you mean about being a part time carer is that they work fewer hours a week and a full time job more.
Anonymous #1
Anonymous I understand about what your saying about your mother and sister who have severe like mental health issues such as depression and I know you are probably worried about them right now so if your sister is having suicidal thoughts call the Samaritans and their phone number is: Phone: 0330 094 5717 so please call this number as soon as possible and also get them into counseling and therapy. 1 key tip they have medicine for depression.Please I wish you the best for you and your family and I hope these tips helped you and hopefully you get it all sorted also let me know how it went.
Thank you for this and it is my sister who had severe mental health issues. Thank you for providing the numbers. She currently is in a lot better place now. I helped get through that difficult and dark period of her life. However, it affected my A levels, and I currently at university, but I underperformed in my exams. Does this count as an extenuating circumstance? I suspect my mum has autism.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
I'm a little confused trying to follow this. Your sister has depression, anxiety and autism? And your mum has hallucinations? Regardless, this is an EC, but you should try to inform your teachers as soon as possible. Are you going into year 13? Are any of you getting mental health support?
My sister has depression, but it was severe before. At the time, I thought that she had schizophrenia because she was hearing voices and seeing delusions. But she was on the waiting list. I did not know that she was suffering from severe depression relating to her severe bullying and hearing voices. I also did not know she had autism at the time. I am currently at university. She is in a better place now and went through counselling, but she discussed personal matters with me and I gave her advice. But would this count as an extenuating circumstance? My mum does not have hallucinations, I think she has autism. She was emotionally unavailable during this time and my mum really struggles to understand depression/anxiety as well as this, my mum does not understand her children's feelings and she struggles to communicate with us.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Georgie Austin)
A part-time job is a form of employment that carries fewer hours per week than a full-time job so when you mean about being a part time carer is that they work fewer hours a week and a full time job more.
Oh thank you, so this probably wont be an ec affecting my performance because its not a job. I spent a lot of my spare time talking to my sister and helping her.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My sister has depression, but it was severe before. At the time, I thought that she had schizophrenia because she was hearing voices and seeing delusions. But she was on the waiting list. I did not know that she was suffering from severe depression relating to her severe bullying and hearing voices. I also did not know she had autism at the time. I am currently at university. She is in a better place now and went through counselling, but she discussed personal matters with me and I gave her advice. But would this count as an extenuating circumstance? My mum does not have hallucinations, I think she has autism. She was emotionally unavailable during this time and my mum really struggles to understand depression/anxiety as well as this, my mum does not understand her children's feelings and she struggles to communicate with us.
When do you want to claim the ECs from? ECs aren't normally retroactively claimed. You have to claim them before deadlines.
Anonymous #1
When do you want to claim the ECs from? ECs aren't normally retroactively claimed. You have to claim them before deadlines.
It is to write it on a law application form for law internships/vacation schemes because I underperformed in my A levels and came out with ABB instead of my predictions (AAA). Law firms want strong academics.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is to write it on a law application form for law internships/vacation schemes because I underperformed in my A levels and came out with ABB instead of my predictions (AAA). Law firms want strong academics.
Ah, okay. I'd speak to your tutors and see what they would say, you'd probably need to provide evidence as well. I hope things go well.
Anonymous #1
Ah, okay. I'd speak to your tutors and see what they would say, you'd probably need to provide evidence as well. I hope things go well.
Thank you
Georgie Austin
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Oh thank you, so this probably wont be an ec affecting my performance because its not a job. I spent a lot of my spare time talking to my sister and helping her.
That's very kind of you to help your sister out. I'm glad the info I sent you was helpful and I am always happy if you have any other worries or questions your unsure about, I am always happy to help. Have a great day.
Georgie Austin
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thank you for this and it is my sister who had severe mental health issues. Thank you for providing the numbers. She currently is in a lot better place now. I helped get through that difficult and dark period of her life. However, it affected my A levels, and I currently at university, but I underperformed in my exams. Does this count as an extenuating circumstance? I suspect my mum has autism.
Probably because people who do have autism have difficulty with their social skills like not expressing feelings and difficulty with eye contact. However I am glad that this all helped solve the problem with your sister and you supported her with help so yeah glad shes getting counseling /therapy. I'm glad I was a big help. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads