Rg
Last edited by AbdulN; 1 week ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Highly inadvisable.

Weapons are best left at home unless you have an actual reason to possess one at university such as for sport.
Joleee
Report 1 week ago
honestly this made me laugh out loud and continues to make me laugh out loud :king1:

if it's legal to own, you can own it wherever you live. how are you going to transport it tho, if it's not allowed in public?
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is a first
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joleee)
honestly this made me laugh out loud and continues to make me laugh out loud :king1:

if it's legal to own, you can own it wherever you live. how are you going to transport it tho, if it's not allowed in public?
Well that's not strictly true. If the accommodation provider has a policy in place, then they cannot have it in said accommodation. Most university accommodation has such a policy buried in the t and cs
Joleee
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Well that's not strictly true. If the accommodation provider has a policy in place, then they cannot have it in said accommodation. Most university accommodation has such a policy buried in the t and cs
what accommodation has 'can't possess a samurai sword' in their t and cs?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They have sections about weaponry, like this from WarwickName:  Screenshot_20200730-004539_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  74.9 KB
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
anti japanese ones, da op I got your back with the equality act
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It'll likely be a general prohibition on having weapons in the property. Op's friend might find it difficult to pursuade a landlord that he needs a sword capable of amputating limbs to butter his crumpets or open envelopes with.
Joleee
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
They have sections about weaponry, like this from WarwickName:  Screenshot_20200730-004539_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  74.9 KB
weaponry sure, but a samurai sword could also be argued as an ornament. are you going to not allow me to have kitchen knives and beer bottles either?

for clarity, i'm not arguing OP should bring their samurai sword to university. the whole thing makes me laugh hysterically. best use of trolling in TSR history as far as i'm concerned.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
weaponry sure, but a samurai sword could also be argued as an ornament. are you going to not allow me to have kitchen knives and beer bottles either?

for clarity, i'm not arguing OP should bring their samurai sword to university. the whole thing makes me laugh hysterically. best use of trolling in TSR history as far as i'm concerned.
They would not accept that argument

Using something as a weapon and something being a weapon are separate things

He would be allowed a cricket bat but not a war hammer, for instance
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AbdulN)
Ive got a question... for a friend. Hand forged samurai swords are legal to possess in the UK as long as you dont take it out in public. Would you be allowed to bring one to your room at uni and keep it in is casing without getting in ****/losing the room considering it IS 100% legal . My friend is responsible and a student of history and just admires swords.
As has already been said, many halls (if not all) state in their contracts that you cannot bring weapons, which would include ornamental ones. Why can't you or your 'friend' keep it at home?
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

A samurai sword may be considered as an ornament but it can also still be a bladed article. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My Unis accommodation actually had a clause in the tenancy agreement which states we can’t bring weapons, decorative or not, to uni.

Also on a social level, I think having a samurai sword, no matter how nice it is, may give off weeaboo vibes.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Common sense would say no, you cannot bring weapons into their place of business.
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Same way those of us who shoot can carry firearms from A to B in public. Verrrrrrrry verrrrrrrrrrry discreetly and carefully.

That said, I'd be wary carrying on the tube, prefer own transport all the time.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FRS500)
Same way those of us who shoot can carry firearms from A to B in public. Verrrrrrrry verrrrrrrrrrry discreetly and carefully.

That said, I'd be wary carrying on the tube, prefer own transport all the time.
Different time IMO,

I grew up in a farming town and used to think nothing of wandering about with my rifle bag, even going into the pub and asking for it to be placed behind the bar while I got drunk and played pinball didn't raise an eyebrow.

I just wouldn't consider doing something like that now, there doesn't seem any 'right' way to do it if you get me. In much the same way as knife rules, it seems to entirely depend if and who makes a complaint.
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Different time IMO,

I grew up in a farming town and used to think nothing of wandering about with my rifle bag, even going into the pub and asking for it to be placed behind the bar while I got drunk and played pinball didn't raise an eyebrow.

I just wouldn't consider doing something like that now, there doesn't seem any 'right' way to do it if you get me. In much the same way as knife rules, it seems to entirely depend if and who makes a complaint.
I defo wouldn't even use a rifle bag to this day. (For London at least)

Usually, I'd stick it in the back of the car and drive to wherever I need to be.

At a big big push... lob it into the most non descript holdall you can find!!
excitedpresent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A truly original TSR post. I commend you, OP.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FRS500)
I defo wouldn't even use a rifle bag to this day. (For London at least)

Usually, I'd stick it in the back of the car and drive to wherever I need to be.

At a big big push... lob it into the most non descript holdall you can find!!
Yeah I wouldn't even consider doing it now, even in farming places....my shooting hobby pretty much ended after Dunblane, I was too close to it personally and public perceptions toward the sport shifted....to say nothing of all the 9/11 stuff and following terrorism...

The last few times i moved weapons it was in big cardboard boxes, taped shut with a note inside basically declaring 'I, yadda yadda, am transporting this unloaded and trigger locked rifle from A to B for X purpose', never came up though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (174)
38.07%
Take autumn exams (143)
31.29%
Look for a job (16)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.6%
Take a year out (76)
16.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.91%

Watched Threads