V confused about Civil Service behaviors questions after 2 interviews and much prep

Watch
lauroraborealis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi!! Thanks for reading my question

This question is for anybody who's passed a Civil Service interview (and got good scores on the Behavior Section) or anybody who understands how the behaviors are scored.

I had an interview on Monday for a HE position. I looked at all the 'subpoints' that each behavior contained and made sure that my example did cover each one of the subpoints (eg. for delivering at pace, one subpoint is around keeping your team focused on the goal).

The behavior I had to answer with a personal story was change and improvement. I used to work for McKinsey&Company, which is relatively well known for its innovative projects. I worked on one such innovative project and played a large role in implementing a project with a high impact (eg. 0.5 million euros yearly increase in profitability). I also made sure my story covered each of those sub-points (eg. taking managed risks).

However, I only got a 4 for that story. It's the most impressive thing I've ever done, and the most innovative thing I've ever done.

Thus, I am quite discouraged about another interview for a HE position I have next week. I really don't understand what they are looking for in the Behaviors section and how I could tailor my answers appropriately.

Anyone got any tips, please please please?
Aysha98x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Always try speaking about what you have done towards the project and what effect did it have on other people, on stakeholders etc. Explain why you did it, what did you consider and why? Behaviours are about how you react and why. They want to see how you react to situations. Do you go out of your way to improve things?Also try remembering to answer the question they ask, refer back to it.
I always tend to state a problem, then what I did to resolve it or improve it, why I did that, and then the effect it had.
They don’t always ask the same question for a certain behaviour, so sometimes you have to tweak your answer a bit to suit the question they have asked.

(Original post by lauroraborealis)
Hi!! Thanks for reading my question

This question is for anybody who's passed a Civil Service interview (and got good scores on the Behavior Section) or anybody who understands how the behaviors are scored.

I had an interview on Monday for a HE position. I looked at all the 'subpoints' that each behavior contained and made sure that my example did cover each one of the subpoints (eg. for delivering at pace, one subpoint is around keeping your team focused on the goal).

The behavior I had to answer with a personal story was change and improvement. I used to work for McKinsey&Company, which is relatively well known for its innovative projects. I worked on one such innovative project and played a large role in implementing a project with a high impact (eg. 0.5 million euros yearly increase in profitability). I also made sure my story covered each of those sub-points (eg. taking managed risks).

However, I only got a 4 for that story. It's the most impressive thing I've ever done, and the most innovative thing I've ever done.

Thus, I am quite discouraged about another interview for a HE position I have next week. I really don't understand what they are looking for in the Behaviors section and how I could tailor my answers appropriately.

Anyone got any tips, please please please?
DHughes87
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I am a civil servant at the moment with a lot of recruitment experience. Send me a PM!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (185)
33.45%
Receiving them online / by email (275)
49.73%
I still don't know (93)
16.82%

Watched Threads