JessD3333
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, does anyone have any book recommendations to explore modern languages (specifically French and Spanish) further/ get a deeper understanding of the subject? It would be really useful especially if you have already applied to uni/are currently at uni.

Or even lecture notes so I could see the kind of things I would be learning if I did this degree

Thanks
Emily_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd definitely recommend getting some grammar workbooks as I found these really useful as a languages student. I'd also suggest looking at what's going on in the news in those countries and watching news clips in their languages to try to follow, and finding films & novels in those languages too. These things really helped me for going on my year abroad!
Part of it depends on the modules the uni teaches as well - have a look at the websites of the places you're looking to go to as you'll be able go get the just of what they teach so you can focus your studies slightly more.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Jess, to an extent, it would depend on which particular degree you were doing.

You would almost certainly want to have the most detailed book on grammar for your language, plus the largest of the Collins French-English Spanish-English dictionaries.

You would also find a monolingual dictionary useful, something like Le Petit Robert for French.

In both cases, you would find it useful to read something on the Modern History of France and Spain.
bluebeetle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JessD3333)
Hi, does anyone have any book recommendations to explore modern languages (specifically French and Spanish) further/ get a deeper understanding of the subject? It would be really useful especially if you have already applied to uni/are currently at uni.

Or even lecture notes so I could see the kind of things I would be learning if I did this degree

Thanks
It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but one book that really helped me from A-level all the way to the end of uni was Mot à Mot (for French, obviously). It's good for higher level vocabulary and phrases.
MyLanguageLab
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Thanks
Hi,

My private A level students are studying Spanish either as a major or a minor at uni (they're thinking of Bath, Reading, Bristol, Cardiff). Depending on the course itself, topics could include: Hispanic, literature, film, poetry, art, history, politics, business and economics, amongst others.

I'd try and find the reading lists for courses that interest you so that you can delve deeper into the modules. Then have a browse through the contents pages of these books on Amazon so you can get a feel of them (if you didn't want to purchase them).

Aside from these possible modules you'll study, you'll obviously be discussing current affairs as well as individual lessons for grammar and translation.

Otherwise, it's the usual advice of: Netflix, YT videos, news sites, follow relevant social media channels, read novels, etc.

Hope that helps?

Drew
JessD3333
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily_B)
I'd definitely recommend getting some grammar workbooks as I found these really useful as a languages student. I'd also suggest looking at what's going on in the news in those countries and watching news clips in their languages to try to follow, and finding films & novels in those languages too. These things really helped me for going on my year abroad!
Part of it depends on the modules the uni teaches as well - have a look at the websites of the places you're looking to go to as you'll be able go get the just of what they teach so you can focus your studies slightly more.
(Original post by Kerzen)
Jess, to an extent, it would depend on which particular degree you were doing.

You would almost certainly want to have the most detailed book on grammar for your language, plus the largest of the Collins French-English Spanish-English dictionaries.

You would also find a monolingual dictionary useful, something like Le Petit Robert for French.

In both cases, you would find it useful to read something on the Modern History of France and Spain.
Thank you very much guys, I will definitely get some grammar workbooks. The particular degree I would like to do is at Oxford so it is very literature-based but there is definitely lots of grammar so I will use your recommendations they are very helpful
Last edited by JessD3333; 2 weeks ago
JessD3333
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but one book that really helped me from A-level all the way to the end of uni was Mot à Mot (for French, obviously). It's good for higher level vocabulary and phrases.
Thank you for your recommendation ! I will look into it
JessD3333
Rep:
?
(Original post by MyLanguageLab)
Hi,

My private A level students are studying Spanish either as a major or a minor at uni (they're thinking of Bath, Reading, Bristol, Cardiff). Depending on the course itself, topics could include: Hispanic, literature, film, poetry, art, history, politics, business and economics, amongst others.

I'd try and find the reading lists for courses that interest you so that you can delve deeper into the modules. Then have a browse through the contents pages of these books on Amazon so you can get a feel of them (if you didn't want to purchase them).

Aside from these possible modules you'll study, you'll obviously be discussing current affairs as well as individual lessons for grammar and translation.

Otherwise, it's the usual advice of: Netflix, YT videos, news sites, follow relevant social media channels, read novels, etc.

Hope that helps?

Drew
Thank you Drew! I have had a look on the uni reading list for Oxford and there are plenty, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I will keep up to date on current affairs too and research the areas you suggested to see if they interest me
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you very much guys, I will definitely get some grammar workbooks. The particular degree I would like to do is at Oxford so it is very literature-based but there is definitely lots of grammar so I will use your recommendations they are very helpful
The Faculty seems to have arranged a virtual Open Day in September, Jess.

https://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/schools/meet-us
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I see from looking at a page about the course that the first year literature course covers a range of genres and periods and covers prose, poetry and drama.

You could have a look at works by Racine, Corneille and Molière, as I am sure that they will be mentioned. I like Molière, in many ways, he is quite timeless.

For more modern times in drama, Anouilh, Ionesco, Genet.

The great writers, Voltaire, Balzac, Hugo, Flaubert, Zola, Sartre, Camus.

I'll just add a lesser known writer at this point, Alain-Fournier - you might enjoy his novel, Le Grand Meaulnes.

In poetry, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Apollinaire.

This is just a quick snapshot of classic names from the Pantheon of French Literature.

I'm aware that the names I have put forward might not feel especially modern, so I will add two modern writers I have recently studied, both of whom are alive and still writing, Annie Ernaux and Patrick Modiano.
JessD3333
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
The Faculty seems to have arranged a virtual Open Day in September, Jess.

https://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/schools/meet-us
Thank you I will definitely check it out!
JessD3333
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I see from looking at a page about the course that the first year literature course covers a range of genres and periods and covers prose, poetry and drama.

You could have a look at works by Racine, Corneille and Molière, as I am sure that they will be mentioned. I like Molière, in many ways, he is quite timeless.

For more modern times in drama, Anouilh, Ionesco, Genet.

The great writers, Voltaire, Balzac, Hugo, Flaubert, Zola, Sartre, Camus.

I'll just add a lesser known writer at this point, Alain-Fournier - you might enjoy his novel, Le Grand Meaulnes.

In poetry, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Apollinaire.

This is just a quick snapshot of classic names from the Pantheon of French Literature.

I'm aware that the names I have put forward might not feel especially modern, so I will add two modern writers I have recently studied, both of whom are alive and still writing, Annie Ernaux and Patrick Modiano.
I can't thank you enough this is so incredibly helpful! I really appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.38%
Better than expected (94)
20.39%
Worse than expected (250)
54.23%

Watched Threads