Didn't really fit in as a solicitor, going to try the Bar.

Watch
Arbu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I left my job as a solicitor in a bank in the City because I was bored, and a banker told me at an interview that if I didn't leave my job I was slowly going to die. I told my boss that I was considering going back to private practice. He replied that he just couldn't see it. He had just had some work back from one of the Magic Circle firms and it was all over the place - he effectively had to do the work himself. How would I fit in in such an environment? Nonetheless I applied for jobs in private practice. I had no luck. One firm notably took four months to reply to me after an interview, telling me that they had no suitable positions.

So I've spent the last twenty years travelling, and pursuing other interests. But unfortunately with Coronavirus I of course am not able to travel, and I think that this situation is going to last a number of years.

So I thought that now would be a good time to do some work, and that I'd try the Bar. I am doing the Bar Transfer Test. But I hear that it's desperately hard to get a pupillage and I suspect that chambers might think I'm a bit whacko with such a gap on my cv. How do you think it's going to pan out? I could see myself joining an Inn and never doing any work, just indulging in lots of dinners for the rest of my life. Does that ever happen to anyone?
Tinders
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Crazy Jamie and Kessler` might be able to help out
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Arbu)
I could see myself joining an Inn and never doing any work, just indulging in lots of dinners for the rest of my life. Does that ever happen to anyone?
Got to be a troll.
2500_2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Arbu)
I left my job as a solicitor in a bank in the City because I was bored, and a banker told me at an interview that if I didn't leave my job I was slowly going to die. I told my boss that I was considering going back to private practice. He replied that he just couldn't see it. He had just had some work back from one of the Magic Circle firms and it was all over the place - he effectively had to do the work himself. How would I fit in in such an environment? Nonetheless I applied for jobs in private practice. I had no luck. One firm notably took four months to reply to me after an interview, telling me that they had no suitable positions.

So I've spent the last twenty years travelling, and pursuing other interests. But unfortunately with Coronavirus I of course am not able to travel, and I think that this situation is going to last a number of years.

So I thought that now would be a good time to do some work, and that I'd try the Bar. I am doing the Bar Transfer Test. But I hear that it's desperately hard to get a pupillage and I suspect that chambers might think I'm a bit whacko with such a gap on my cv. How do you think it's going to pan out? I could see myself joining an Inn and never doing any work, just indulging in lots of dinners for the rest of my life. Does that ever happen to anyone?
Are you privately wealthy?!
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Arbu)
Definitely could be a troll, but let's just assume not for a second. First of all, no, no one joins an Inn and just indulges in lots of dinners for the rest of their life.

Second, sets won't think you're "a bit whacko" with a big gap on your CV. But they will expect you to be able to demonstrate that you have the skills and ability required to become a barrister, as they expect from all applicants. If you have spent the last twenty years just travelling and pursuing interests without developing relevant professional skills you are going to struggle because it's difficult to see how you demonstrate skills relevant to practising as a barrister. Demonstrating that you have those skills also requires you to have an actual understanding of how practising as a barrister works in reality, and what skills you need to have. Without relevant experience, that is something else that you will find difficult. You have historic experience as a solicitor, which will be of limited use at this stage, but beyond that you haven't stated anything that would suggest that this is even close to a realistic ambition for you. If it isn't, you're going to spend a lot of time and money for nothing. If there's relevant points that are missing from your post (and there may be) and you decide that this is a realistic goal, your priority should be gain relevant experience, develop relevant skills, and ensure that you can demonstrate both on paper.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
“Slowly going to die”, splendid.
Arbu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 2500_2)
Are you privately wealthy?!
No, just very resourceful.
Arbu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
Definitely could be a troll, but let's just assume not for a second. First of all, no, no one joins an Inn and just indulges in lots of dinners for the rest of their life.

Second, sets won't think you're "a bit whacko" with a big gap on your CV. But they will expect you to be able to demonstrate that you have the skills and ability required to become a barrister, as they expect from all applicants. If you have spent the last twenty years just travelling and pursuing interests without developing relevant professional skills you are going to struggle because it's difficult to see how you demonstrate skills relevant to practising as a barrister. Demonstrating that you have those skills also requires you to have an actual understanding of how practising as a barrister works in reality, and what skills you need to have. Without relevant experience, that is something else that you will find difficult. You have historic experience as a solicitor, which will be of limited use at this stage, but beyond that you haven't stated anything that would suggest that this is even close to a realistic ambition for you. If it isn't, you're going to spend a lot of time and money for nothing. If there's relevant points that are missing from your post (and there may be) and you decide that this is a realistic goal, your priority should be gain relevant experience, develop relevant skills, and ensure that you can demonstrate both on paper.
Thanks. The way I see it is that, if it's not realistic, I'll end up indulging in dinners forever. I wouldn't consider that a waste of time or money at all - I'm sure I'd have some interesting discussions. But if, as you say, no-one ever just indulges in dinners for the rest of their life (and I'm glad to hear it), then my plan must be realistic. I guess that what happens in practice is that you start getting experience through activities in your Inn, and you make contacts there, so eventually your plan starts to look more realistic and you get some work. We'll see.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Arbu)
I guess that what happens in practice is that you start getting experience through activities in your Inn, and you make contacts there, so eventually your plan starts to look more realistic and you get some work. We'll see.
There certainly is scope to gain some experience through your Inn, but primarily you'll gain that experience yourself through mini pupillages, marshalling, debating, mooting, competitions, work and so on. You have to be proactive about this. It won't just come to you.
Arbu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
There certainly is scope to gain some experience through your Inn, but primarily you'll gain that experience yourself through mini pupillages, marshalling, debating, mooting, competitions, work and so on. You have to be proactive about this. It won't just come to you.
OK, thanks, I'll do some research although I guess that right now isn't the ideal time for most of those and probably mini-pupillages are also extremely competitive.

You raised the question of there being relevant points missing from my original post. I suppose I could add:

1. I was a member of Toastmasters for a bit;
2. I've sued a few companies over the years, so I've developed some appreciation of litigation;
3. I've got a legal website which I work on at times. It's a bit of an ambitious idea, but working on it helps keep my legal knowledge up to date. I'd quite like to continue with it if I do get to become a barrister. No doubt finding time would be an issue but perhaps I could justify it as CPD.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.55%
Better than expected (93)
20.31%
Worse than expected (248)
54.15%

Watched Threads