what car should i get?

Watch
metallic67
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am 19 years old guy and I've got 20k in savings, mostly from inheritance. I want to spend 10k on a car but I am not sure which one to buy. I particularly like BMW's but I like Audis too. Any recommendations?
Official-Rep
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Reality Check
Official-Rep
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Get a horse, no insurance, no traffic, no petrol.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Official-Rep)
Get a horse, no insurance, no traffic, no petrol.
You still have to feed it and look after it. 😂
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would suggest you use your savings to buy a deposit for a house or for investments. You don’t need a flashy car at your age. Buy something second hand and invest in a better car when you’re older and the time comes.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
You still have to feed it and look after it. 😂
And pay pet insurance, farrier, livery costs etc...
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Take a 0 off your purchase price.

Buy a car for £1k or less.

The insurance will be £1k to £2k per year. And then there's the road tax, fuel costs, servicing, repairs, tyre costs, parking costs. Buy a car for £10k and you'll burn through your £20k in 3 years.
Buy a car for £1k and it will take 5 to 6 years to burn through your £20k.
metallic67
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Take a 0 off your purchase price.

Buy a car for £1k or less.

The insurance will be £1k to £2k per year. And then there's the road tax, fuel costs, servicing, repairs, tyre costs, parking costs. Buy a car for £10k and you'll burn through your £20k in 3 years.
Buy a car for £1k and it will take 5 to 6 years to burn through your £20k.
Yes I know that it will be expensive but I want a nice car that will impress girls! I've also got a part time job so I'm still earning money.
berakih4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
well its your choice pick the one you like the most it would be better to buy BMW
Teddy650123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have a corsa 1.0 and it’s been everywhere and cost me barely anything, first year insurance was £1,100 for year and £30 tax and just had renewal and now it’s £550 for year (black box) and cant really complain as it’s been a good car but I’m upgrading to something more powerful and better to look at etc like an Audi.

Definitely start with a 1.0 for costs but good luck
Last edited by Teddy650123; 1 week ago
Dexter345
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lamborghini urus
zizaabmissan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by metallic67)
I am 19 years old guy and I've got 20k in savings, mostly from inheritance. I want to spend 10k on a car but I am not sure which one to buy. I particularly like BMW's but I like Audis too. Any recommendations?
Audi A1 s line (white with black roof POPS) if u wanna spend the full 10k
Abbie1311
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I currently have an Audi a1 which is 2011 plate and I love it, but if i was gonna get a newer car as in 2017+ I’d either get a polo, golf or ibiza
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm a petrol head - I commute in a McLaren. Please start with a small, cheap, and slow, hatchback, if you really need a car. It will improve your driving.

This lump sum could give you a lot of flexibility in the future, if you keep as much of it as possible now. If you spend £10k on a car now, plus insurance, repairs etc, you will burn through it all too quickly.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You would be far better off keeping it for a home deposit.

You will buy a car that just depreciates and costs a fortune to insure at you age, been there and done that.
zizaabmissan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
I'm a petrol head - I commute in a McLaren. Please start with a small, cheap, and slow, hatchback, if you really need a car. It will improve your driving.

This lump sum could give you a lot of flexibility in the future, if you keep as much of it as possible now. If you spend £10k on a car now, plus insurance, repairs etc, you will burn through it all too quickly.
your not a petrolhead if you commute in a mclaren, your just rich
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by zizaabmissan)
your not a petrolhead if you commute in a mclaren, your just rich
Guilty on only one of those. I also own a 928GTS, and two boring cars, on which I do all my own repairs and maintenance.
zizaabmissan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Guilty on only one of those. I also own a 928GTS, and two boring cars, on which I do all my own repairs and maintenance.
Wierd flex but ok
Sanitizer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Get a Lexus Instead. If you don't mind the insurance, a GS350 or 2004-2006 LS430 are fun cars to try. Lexus is extremely reliable
nightedworld
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I know that it will be expensive but I want a nice car that will impress girls! I've also got a part time job so I'm still earning money.
girls really don’t care what car you have unless it is falling apart 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (174)
38.07%
Take autumn exams (143)
31.29%
Look for a job (16)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.6%
Take a year out (76)
16.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.91%

Watched Threads