lunardays
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, so I was thinking for a while that I should study psychology at uni but I've looked into it and I'm completely put off by all the statistics, biology, research methods and all that so I'm not sure it's for me. I'm passionate about studying the human mind and behaviour, spiritual aspects of life, how society works. So do you think psychology would suit me after all or maybe something different?

Btw I don't have any careers in mind yet, I'm quite open to different ideas. If I have to think realistically then maybe some type of therapy but yeahhh pls help lol
h.findlay321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Main tip: study what you’re interested in.

University is not like A-Levels, you can’t just get by from learning everything in a textbook. If you’re not interested in a subject and committed to learning it, then you will struggle putting in the time and effort needed to do well.

It does sound like psychology would be a good option for you. It is likely that in your first year of university you will have little/no choice on what modules you study (obviously varies from uni to uni) but as you progress more through your degree you will have a greater influence over what areas of psychology you study - allowing you to avoid certain areas you aren’t interested in.

However, I am not a psychology student but I did study psychology at A-Level. Quite a lot of the basic psychology is based on research methods and statistics are used in multiple areas, so you would probably have to study these areas at some point.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lunardays)
Hi, so I was thinking for a while that I should study psychology at uni but I've looked into it and I'm completely put off by all the statistics, biology, research methods and all that so I'm not sure it's for me. I'm passionate about studying the human mind and behaviour, spiritual aspects of life, how society works. So do you think psychology would suit me after all or maybe something different?

Btw I don't have any careers in mind yet, I'm quite open to different ideas. If I have to think realistically then maybe some type of therapy but yeahhh pls help lol
You are describing the BSc in Psychology which can be a very maths and stats based course.

Many unis offer the BA route and the course content is very different. You need to ensure the BA route still gets you Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society (BPS) since this is the kite mark for a quality psychology course and essential if you want to practice psychology for a living.

For example, check out the two offerings from Essex uni BA and the BSc. The uni was awarded Uni of the year in 2018.
friskis
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
You are describing the BSc in Psychology which can be a very maths and stats based course.

Many unis offer the BA route and the course content is very different. You need to ensure the BA route still gets you Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society (BPS) since this is the kite mark for a quality psychology course and essential if you want to practice psychology for a living.

For example, check out the two offerings from Essex uni BA and the BSc. The uni was awarded Uni of the year in 2018.
I agree, and the Psychology department at Essex is also very good! If you want have a chat with a psychology student at Essex you can use this: https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/chat

Have you also considered studying Philosophy? By reading what you wrote, it sounded like you are more interested in the theory of psychology, which surprisingly overlap with philosophy a lot.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A lot of people are put off Psychlogy because of the statistics content but there may not be as much as you think. You'll most likely do a statistics and research module every year and then use statistics software such as SPSS for analysing data in your final year research project. There are some good textbooks and resources out there for guidance and lecturers tend to know a lot of students dislike stats so do their best to explain concepts as simply as possible, but it's essential for a career in Psychology, I'm afraid.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.61%
Confident (14)
9.21%
Indifferent (16)
10.53%
Unsure (35)
23.03%
Worried (80)
52.63%

Watched Threads