The Student Room Group

Biology and maths A-levels

So for A-levels, I have decided to do:
Math,Computer Science, Biology, Economics

I mainly want to go down the computer science route but have some interests within Biology & Economics

1. I am quite passionate about biology so is there a point in only taking Biology and Maths as sciences? (thinking of doing some biology related science courses) - I don't enjoy chemistry as much.
2. Are these a 'good' combination of A-levels and will it help keep my opportunities open? (to those that answered this on my previous post, thank you!)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by NicqN1

I mainly want to go down the computer science route but have some interests within Biology & Economics

1. I am quite passionate about biology so is there a point in only taking Biology and Maths as sciences? (thinking of doing some biology related science courses) - I don't enjoy chemistry as much.
2. Are these a 'good' combination of A-levels and will it help keep my opportunities open? (to those that answered this on my previous post, thank you!)

1. They are all STEM subjects so you will absolutely be fine, just have a look at some uni courses that you are interested in and see if they ask for Chemistry (it is unlikely unless you want to go down the medicine/pharmacy route but just check).
2. Yes, you could go into any of those 4 subjects as a degree plus some other things such as data analytics, electrical engineering, etc...

I have attached a link below which explores possible degree options with your subjects, it might be useful to you:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/biology/computer-science/economics/mathematics?o=1230
Original post by NicqN1

This seems like a good combination that gives you a range of options moving forward.

You said you were thinking of doing some biology related science courses. From what I can see, many universities for their biology course ask for Biology plus one other science (and Maths would count for this). If there are any particular biology-related courses you might be interested in, it would be a good idea to check the entry requirements for them as well, just to be sure. However, as a general rule, if you don't enjoy Chemistry then you probably shouldn't take it as an A-level, as you'll find it hard to succeed.
Reply 3
Original post by Becca216
1. They are all STEM subjects so you will absolutely be fine, just have a look at some uni courses that you are interested in and see if they ask for Chemistry (it is unlikely unless you want to go down the medicine/pharmacy route but just check).
2. Yes, you could go into any of those 4 subjects as a degree plus some other things such as data analytics, electrical engineering, etc...

I have attached a link below which explores possible degree options with your subjects, it might be useful to you:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/biology/computer-science/economics/mathematics?o=1230

Alright, thank you for the response! and the link attached is very helpful. I'll be sure to check the requirements for the courses that interests me.
Reply 4
Original post by bluebeetle
This seems like a good combination that gives you a range of options moving forward.

You said you were thinking of doing some biology related science courses. From what I can see, many universities for their biology course ask for Biology plus one other science (and Maths would count for this). If there are any particular biology-related courses you might be interested in, it would be a good idea to check the entry requirements for them as well, just to be sure. However, as a general rule, if you don't enjoy Chemistry then you probably shouldn't take it as an A-level, as you'll find it hard to succeed.

Okay, thank you for your advice! I will be sure to check the entry requirements for any courses. Yeah I don't really have a deep passion for chemistry so i guess i shouldn't take it. Thanks!
if you enjoy all these subjects then it seems like a good choice to me :yep: will keep plenty of doors open too if you change your mind about what you wanna do.
a levels are a lot of work, so don't be surprised or defeated if you do have to drop down to 3.
Reply 6
Original post by absolutelysprout
if you enjoy all these subjects then it seems like a good choice to me :yep: will keep plenty of doors open too if you change your mind about what you wanna do.
a levels are a lot of work, so don't be surprised or defeated if you do have to drop down to 3.

alright, thank you! My school actually encourages students to drop an a-level before beginning A2. Most likely I would drop economics since most if not all econs courses only require math, therefore I am left with Math, Biology & Computer Science which are subjects I enjoy.
Original post by NicqN1
alright, thank you! My school actually encourages students to drop an a-level before beginning A2. Most likely I would drop economics since most if not all econs courses only require math, therefore I am left with Math, Biology & Computer Science which are subjects I enjoy.

sounds like a great plan :yep: best of luck! not doing economics a level won't stop you from doing it at uni either!!

Quick Reply

Latest