The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The question (or a variation thereof) was on an Oxford Physics entrance paper, and said:

If you approach a mirror at 5ms^-1, at what speed does your image approach you?

I think the answer depends on how you define an image, but I think it's 10ms^-1, because the image is virtual and appears "behind" the mirror, approaching you at -5ms^-1.
Reply 21
shamrock92
The question (or a variation thereof) was on an Oxford Physics entrance paper, and said:

If you approach a mirror at 5ms^-1, at what speed does your image approach you?

I think the answer depends on how you define an image, but I think it's 10ms^-1, because the image is virtual and appears "behind" the mirror, approaching you at -5ms^-1.

But the image isnt moving, at least not towards you anyway. The image doesnt approach you, you approach the image. no?
How far has the light travelled that reaches your eye? Millions of km.....
Reply 23
teachercol
How far has the light travelled that reaches your eye? Millions of km.....

So...
luk333
But the image isnt moving, at least not towards you anyway. The image doesnt approach you, you approach the image. no?

The image is moving. You move toward it, and it toward you, as its position is dependent upon yours.

As you move towards the image, its virtual position changes, coming towards you at the same time. It can't stay in the same place no matter your position, otherwise you would see the same image in the mirror if you stood at a completely different distance or angle! As you move in at 5ms^-1, it moves out at 5ms^1, so you approach it at 5ms^-1 - - 5ms^-1 = 5+5 = 10 ms^-1.
Reply 25
the light is traveling 10m so i'd say that.
Reply 26
shamrock92
The image is moving. You move toward it, and it toward you, as its position is dependent upon yours.

As you move towards the image, its virtual position changes, coming towards you at the same time. It can't stay in the same place no matter your position, otherwise you would see the same image in the mirror if you stood at a completely different distance or angle! As you move in at 5ms^-1, it moves out at 5ms^1, so you approach it at 5ms^-1 - - 5ms^-1 = 5+5 = 10 ms^-1.

Virtually
, yeh i agree the image moves. But not at 10ms^-1, that would mean the image is moving faster than you are!
Reply 27
the light is traveling 10m so i'd say that.

No it isn't...
luk333

Virtually
, yeh i agree the image moves. But not at 10ms^-1, that would mean the image is moving faster than you are!

The image moves at 5 in the negative direction

You move at 5 in the positive direction

So you approach eachother at 10
Reply 29
shamrock92
The image moves at 5 in the negative direction

You move at 5 in the positive direction

So you approach eachother at 10

Yeh i understand what your trying to say...i think...
Reply 30
But in answer to the original oxford question, the virtual image is approaching at 5 yes?
Reply 31
You are ACTUALLY looking 5m, as you are looking at the mirror, however there is a virtual image 5m behind the mirror, so it seems like you are looking 10m.
luk333
But in answer to the original oxford question, the virtual image is approaching at 5 yes?

The virtual image is moving at 5, but approaching at 10, since approaching takes into account both of the speeds.
Reply 33
luk333
No it isn't...

why isnt it, the light travels from your face to the mirror and back, 10 m total.
Reply 34
I think the best answer was probably the camera one, and I agree if you focus a camera on the image it will be 10m away
Reply 35
an on the how fast is it moving towards you question, wont it be the speed of light?
Reply 36
an on the how fast is it moving towards you question, wont it be the speed of light?

No that isn't what it means, in a frame where you are stationary (i.e. from your point of view) the image moves towards you at 10ms^-1. The light moves at the speed of light yes, but this light is how we see the image, not the image itself if you get what I mean.
Reply 37
MC REN
No that isn't what it means, in a frame where you are stationary (i.e. from your point of view) the image moves towards you at 10ms^-1. The light moves at the speed of light yes, but this light is how we see the image, not the image itself if you get what I mean.

yes im getting the two confused
It depends what you're looking at. If you're looking at the mirror, 5m. If you're looking at yourself in the mirror, 10m.
Reply 39
A Stranger in Moscow
It depends what you're looking at. If you're looking at the mirror, 5m. If you're looking at yourself in the mirror, 10m.

but the question was 'how far are you looking'. You're not looking the distance that the light travelled because it 'looped back' on itself?

Seems to me you are looking five meters away, but the light has traveled ten. Same as when you hear an echo in your bathroom, you haven't heard the echo from twice the distance of your bathroom.

Latest