Stockdish
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I received a final IB score which was lower than what I expected, due to the fact that I was not able to take the exams.

I still got accepted into Warwick for mechanical engineering, which, even though I know is a good university, is not my first choice.

Would it be possible to change university after being at another uni for for the first year? How would I be assessed? Will the second uni look at my final IB score, or maybe make me take some sort of admission test?
jackien1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stockdish)
I received a final IB score which was lower than what I expected, due to the fact that I was not able to take the exams.

I still got accepted into Warwick for mechanical engineering, which, even though I know is a good university, is not my first choice.

Would it be possible to change university after being at another uni for for the first year? How would I be assessed? Will the second uni look at my final IB score, or maybe make me take some sort of admission test?
You can switch unis after a year, but they may have you start from 1st year again, so why spend the money on tuition for a year if you know you're going to leave the uni?
Can you not take the IB exams again? Either in a gap year to save on tuition fees or before uni begins this year?
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Hey Stockdish, it'd be worth checking with your preferred institution whether they'd accept you transferring but jackien1 is right, they may make you start from 1st year. If you're happy to do this and they'd be happy to take you then it's an option, but does potentially feel like you could be taking a long route for a short cut. If your heart isn't totally in it given the circumstances you're in, there's nothing to say you can't take a year to regroup and reapply next year. There's no "right" way to start university - do it when it's right for you.

I have to say that there's a chance you may start at Warwick and absolutely love it too Have you had a chance to attend any virtual visits/chat to their students? They may use things like Unibuddy, and maybe chatting to students and staff over the next week or so could help reassure you a little if you definitely want to go to university this year?

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I personally wouldn't recommend starting at a uni if all you want to do is leave.
Yes some universities do allow students to transfer, but it will be case by case and no guarantees it will happen.

Warwick is still an excellent uni, so is still a great degree to have. If you go I would go with the mindset of being their for 3/4 years if you transfer out then great but be happy to live their for 3/4 years. (their very well known for the WMG, Warwick manufacturing group which is obviously an area mechanical engineers go into)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed