Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hallo,
    I have done my A-levels and have got AAAC in economics, geography, sociology and general studies. I am planning to apply to UCL, KINGS and LSE in 2009 to study law LLB (im taking a gap year). I really need advice on reapplying for 2009 entry. I intend to volunteer abroad and do some travelling, however I will be starting this in January 2009 but I want to send off my application in September 2008 ASAP! Would it be okay to tell the universities what im planning to do? Will this disadvantage my application?
    Im planning to amend my personal statement to take into account my gap year plans and also i will have to amend my references because they will need to inform the unis as to what i intend to do in my year out. Anyone been in this situation? BTW IM GOING MAD ATM JUST THINKING ABOUT GOING THROUGH THE UCAS PROCESS AGAIN :eek: lol but whats got to be done has to be done! Can anyone help with the questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djdavian)
    Hallo,
    I have done my A-levels and have got AAAC in economics, geography, sociology and general studies. I am planning to apply to UCL, KINGS and LSE in 2009 to study law LLB (im taking a gap year). I really need advice on reapplying for 2009 entry. I intend to volunteer abroad and do some travelling, however I will be starting this in January 2009 but I want to send off my application in September 2008 ASAP! Would it be okay to tell the universities what im planning to do? Will this disadvantage my application?
    Im planning to amend my personal statement to take into account my gap year plans and also i will have to amend my references because they will need to inform the unis as to what i intend to do in my year out. Anyone been in this situation? BTW IM GOING MAD ATM JUST THINKING ABOUT GOING THROUGH THE UCAS PROCESS AGAIN :eek: lol but whats got to be done has to be done! Can anyone help with the questions?
    Especially as this is a re-application, it's really important to take your time to get it right. There is no point in rushing it; you have far more to lose than gain by doing so. Although you can and should mention your plans in a PS, far better to have those plans more evidently underway. As far as your reference is concerned, your referee will amend if necessary but may not want to talk about your gap year plans. That isn't a problem.

When you have done your PS, post it in PS Help (no-one will see it except you and the PS Helpers) and someone will look at it for you. It is really really important to get the PS right, especially as a post A2 applicant. AAAC are good grades but these are not foolproof qualifications for an offer from the unis you mention, so it also would be a good idea to consider some back up options, which you don't necessarily have to add in now - you could wait until early January - while you wait and see what happens with your first choices. However, places like LSE can take an awfully long time to respond and it could still be a rejection.

Every year loads of people reapply successfully; the ones that run into trouble are those who rushed their applications, and/or made unrealistic choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Especially as this is a re-application, it's really important to take your time to get it right. There is no point in rushing it; you have far more to lose than gain by doing so. Although you can and should mention your plans in a PS, far better to have those plans more evidently underway. As far as your reference is concerned, your referee will amend if necessary but may not want to talk about your gap year plans. That isn't a problem.

When you have done your PS, post it in PS Help (no-one will see it except you and the PS Helpers) and someone will look at it for you. It is really really important to get the PS right, especially as a post A2 applicant. AAAC are good grades but these are not foolproof qualifications for an offer from the unis you mention, so it also would be a good idea to consider some back up options, which you don't necessarily have to add in now - you could wait until early January - while you wait and see what happens with your first choices. However, places like LSE can take an awfully long time to respond and it could still be a rejection.

Every year loads of people reapply successfully; the ones that run into trouble are those who rushed their applications, and/or made unrealistic choices.
    Thanks for the advice, is there anything that I can do to increase the likelihood of getting into my top three choices? Will travelling and volunteering be enough? I really want to go to those universities and if I dont get in I will be devastated. Do you think these are unrealistic choices?

ReputationRep:
    E-mail the universities you want to apply to asking about their opinions on reapplications. I know Kings isn't usually too keen for Law. Do mention your grades and subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    E-mail the universities you want to apply to asking about their opinions on reapplications. I know Kings isn't usually too keen for Law. Do mention your grades and subjects.
    You need to distinguish between re-applications and re-sitting. As a rule universities do not really have a problem with re-applications from people who are not re-sitting.

djdavian - it's impossible to say whether UCL, KCL and LSE are unrealistic choices for you. What I would say - to anyone in your position - is to consider alternatives such as QMUL (since you seem to be London oriented) where your grades and a good PS should get you an offer without too much difficulty. Of the three you have picked, LSE is probably the most challenging, and you need to check that your GCSEs will be up to scratch as well - check out the LSE forum here about that.

As far as the gap year is concerned, all the unis will want to know is that you are not dossing around doing nothing. Working in a supermarket to save funds for your studies is just as acceptable - if not more so - as some fancy gap year in the back of beyond funded by Mum and Dad. Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    make sure you do well in your lnat too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    You need to distinguish between re-applications and re-sitting. As a rule universities do not really have a problem with re-applications from people who are not re-sitting.

djdavian - it's impossible to say whether UCL, KCL and LSE are unrealistic choices for you. What I would say - to anyone in your position - is to consider alternatives such as QMUL (since you seem to be London oriented) where your grades and a good PS should get you an offer without too much difficulty. Of the three you have picked, LSE is probably the most challenging, and you need to check that your GCSEs will be up to scratch as well - check out the LSE forum here about that.

As far as the gap year is concerned, all the unis will want to know is that you are not dossing around doing nothing. Working in a supermarket to save funds for your studies is just as acceptable - if not more so - as some fancy gap year in the back of beyond funded by Mum and Dad. Honestly.
    Hi, I got into my firm which was QMUL this year but released myself as I wanted to stretch myself to get into the more elite unis. Will taking additional alevels increase the likelihood of recieving an offer? preferably unconditional offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djdavian)
    Hi, I got into my firm which was QMUL this year but released myself as I wanted to stretch myself to get into the more elite unis. Will taking additional alevels increase the likelihood of recieving an offer? preferably unconditional offers.
    I wouldn't have thought taking extra A levels would make any major difference to your application, and certainly won't lead to unconditional offers - you'd only get those if the unis liked the grades you already have, in which case what's the point of doing the extras?! As jkyng1 says, the LNAT is really important for those unis that use it, so better to concentrate on that.

ReputationRep:
    Some really good advice here. I am also re-applying.
    Ive said i will want to get it sent off by early november. But no way im i going to rush it.

OP how do you plan (if you do) on taking up another subject, if your want to go travelling?

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.