How would you govern a country?

Watch
Sejal16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
You own a country. What would you do so it makes a mark in History?
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Sejal16)
You own a country. What would you do so it makes a mark in History?
Most businesses would be privately owned. Only telecom, railway, defence and oil companies would be state owned (they would be encouraged to export products abroad). The Government would have a friendly business tax rate of 10% and offer free grants for startups and small businesses. Capitalism is the way to go.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
Most businesses would be privately owned. Only telecom, railway, defence and oil companies would be state owned (they would be encouraged to export products abroad). The Government would have a friendly business tax rate of 10% and offer free grants for startups and small businesses. Capitalism is the way to go.
This.

And on top of that I'd have a fairly stringent criminal justice system. Not like it is over here where there is blatantly no deterrent. We give out far too many second chances to repeat offenders who'd be better off locked up for life for the good of society. I don't believe that reformation or rehabilitation fully works, or that in some cases it should be given as an option. Life sentences handed out for all serious crimes. Hefty sentences for minor crimes to act as a deterrent. Make prisons like prisons should be, and not like a holiday camp. I dare say, as risqué as this is that I'd be in support of capital punishment for serious crimes. In short, don't break the law, don't have a problem, and then don't get locked up. Can't see why this seems to be an issue for so many people, especially the left.

And;

Introduce negative income tax. I cannot fathom why on earth it hasn't found it's way into any society thus far. It makes perfect sense. Jobs get filled that don't pay above the going rate, and the state tops up the rest. Everyone wins. In terms of this a stringent system to show that people are looking for work. Penalties for those who aren't.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
And on top of that I'd have a fairly stringent criminal justice system. Not like it is over here where there is blatantly no deterrent. We give out far too many second chances to repeat offenders who'd be better off locked up for life for the good of society.
Because in authoritarian countries with the death penalty or worse, there is no crime whatsoever right?

Perhaps a more progressive solution might be to understand why people turn to crime in the first place and then fix that?

If you have no stake in society, the promise of free TV, three square meals a day and a bed to sleep in plus social time with your mates isn't that bad. Same with death.

You are making age old assumption that criminals have motivations and have a moral compass similar to you.
Last edited by ByEeek; 4 days ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Badly.

My question would be why is the goal "to make a mark on History". Personally my goal would simply be "be competent". Johnson has certainly made his mark on History but that doesn't make him a good PM.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Perhaps a more progressive solution might be to understand why people turn to crime in the first place and then fix that?
While I can see what you're getting at here - I think you're possibility a tad optimistic with what it is within the ability of society to fix. Sure, deprivation and exclusion drive people to crime. But what about jealousy? Greed? Anger? Not everything can be chocked up to people's negative experiences and solved with by intervention - you can encounter criminals who have had every advantage in life, and people who have had terrible upbringings that go on to live honestly and usefully.

In many cases though, these attributes combined with a sense that you can "get away with it" are what drive people to crime. A strong deterrent against offending is what can tip the balance in favour of crime not happening.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by L i b)

In many cases though, these attributes combined with a sense that you can "get away with it" are what drive people to crime. A strong deterrent against offending is what can tip the balance in favour of crime not happening.
A gpod response as always. So why is crime still indemic in coutries that have really harsh consequences?
Kitten in boots
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'd introduce mandatory how to dress properly classes.

We've become a nation of scruffs. We're almost as bad as Americans. This needs to stop. People of Britain, take some pride in your appearance.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by L i b)
I think we both know that this is simply not the case. Never has it been true and never will it be true. Especially as many crimes are those of opportunity.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
This.

And on top of that I'd have a fairly stringent criminal justice system. Not like it is over here where there is blatantly no deterrent. We give out far too many second chances to repeat offenders who'd be better off locked up for life for the good of society. I don't believe that reformation or rehabilitation fully works, or that in some cases it should be given as an option. Life sentences handed out for all serious crimes. Hefty sentences for minor crimes to act as a deterrent. Make prisons like prisons should be, and not like a holiday camp. I dare say, as risqué as this is that I'd be in support of capital punishment for serious crimes. In short, don't break the law, don't have a problem, and then don't get locked up. Can't see why this seems to be an issue for so many people, especially the left.

And;

Introduce negative income tax. I cannot fathom why on earth it hasn't found it's way into any society thus far. It makes perfect sense. Jobs get filled that don't pay above the going rate, and the state tops up the rest. Everyone wins. In terms of this a stringent system to show that people are looking for work. Penalties for those who aren't.
Make sure to deregulate the financial industry to build up a massive financial centre in your capital.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed