I got a 2:1 in first year, what does this mean for the next 2 years?

Watch
CAB18022
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Okay so I'm appreciative that I did well and if it weren't for COVID, I probably would've had more modules count to the first-year grade which would push it up to at least a mid 2:1 grade.

Anyhow so I have basically 100% attendance at Uni, no missed deadlines, did my best to do the reading and take notes and seeking advice where I can in regards to making my essay better etc. so that I can get a 1st which is what I'm aiming for.

So with the 2:1 for first year (which I know doesn't count but that's besides the point) and with the consistency and hoping seeking advice from my academic advisor in second year, what does it mean in terms of likelihood of me getting a first if I continue to put the hard work? (or at least sticking with the advice on getting a first)

Many thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CAB18022)
Okay so I'm appreciative that I did well and if it weren't for COVID, I probably would've had more modules count to the first-year grade which would push it up to at least a mid 2:1 grade.

Anyhow so I have basically 100% attendance at Uni, no missed deadlines, did my best to do the reading and take notes and seeking advice where I can in regards to making my essay better etc. so that I can get a 1st which is what I'm aiming for.

So with the 2:1 for first year (which I know doesn't count but that's besides the point) and with the consistency and hoping seeking advice from my academic advisor in second year, what does it mean in terms of likelihood of me getting a first if I continue to put the hard work? (or at least sticking with the advice on getting a first)

Many thanks
What do you want it to mean?
You know how to get good marks and if you put in similar effort or more then you should continue to get good marks?
Do you want or expect people to say you will get a first?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CAB18022)

Many thanks
I would say its a solid performance.

If you want a first you will have to manage the step up in second year, and continue to work hard and perhaps more diligently. It depends on your expectations and motivation.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I got a 2:1 in the first year of my degree as well. You'll find that the the 2nd year is much harder than the first. You just need to continuously push yourself and you'll get the degree classification that you want All the best.
CAB18022
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
What do you want it to mean?
You know how to get good marks and if you put in similar effort or more then you should continue to get good marks?
Do you want or expect people to say you will get a first?
I guess I should word it better :/
I meant to ask if I'm heading in the right direction? with all the things I did in first year
CAB18022
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
I would say its a solid performance.
If you want a first you will have to manage the step up in second year, and continue to work hard and perhaps more diligently. It depends on your expectations and motivation.
Alright awesome!
CAB18022
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I got a 2:1 in the first year of my degree as well. You'll find that the the 2nd year is much harder than the first. You just need to continuously push yourself and you'll get the degree classification that you want All the best.
Yeah I've heard second year is harder but hopefully I'll push through!
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I found that my second year was harder than the first, and the third was harder still (mostly due to the pressure of a) the dissertation and b) the finals). I got a first in my first year, and then a 2:1 in both subsequent years, making my overall degree classification a 2:1, which I was happy with. I think you're more likely to either stay the same or go down a grade if you believe you worked really hard for the 2:1. But there's always opportunity for improvement if you take on board any feedback you've been given.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.58%
Confident (14)
9.15%
Indifferent (16)
10.46%
Unsure (36)
23.53%
Worried (80)
52.29%

Watched Threads