Dododododo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by remussjhj01)
Hey, so I'm aiming to be a teacher too. About to start my undergraduate, and will do a PGCE after this. I was 14 when I decided I wanted to be a teacher. At the time I was unsure between history and music, but I've now decided to do music.
1). The salary isn't GREAT, but it does go up each year and they are planning on increasing the salary over a few years (not sure how much I trust the tories, but fingers crossed).
2). Honestly, ignore your parents. It's your life and you should do what you think you'd enjoy/what would make them happy. My parents weren't very happy when I first told them and tbh, I think they're still not thrilled and do keep saying I should be a uni lecturer, but I think they know I'm sure what I want to do now.
3). As I said before, I wasn't sure when I was in year 10 either. I wasn't 100% until I was at college. It'll come with time.
4). Patience isn't as bad as you'd think. I thought I was going to have a really short temper and get really annoyed having to explain things over and over, but I didn't, because you can see they're trying really hard to get it, and they do WANT to get it.
5). Workload IS tough, but obviously doable. The hardest part will be your PGCE year. The discipline/authority side will probably not be an issue until your PGCE year. I would aim to get as much school experience as possible so you can see how teachers do things when a kid acts out, that way you'll be somewhat prepared.
If you're a good teacher, you WILL make a difference. I still remember my favourite teachers and certain things they said to me.
You've still got a while, and you can change your mind. I would advise doing your work experience in a school if possible at the level and 1-2 of the subjects you want to teach. That's what I did and it was really beneficial.
Thank you for replying One thing that almost everyone's said in this thread is to get experience, and I'll be sure to look into doing that asap as soon as this whole lockdown thing is over. I'm not sure what I'd teach but I've been thinking about french or biology or maths, but I have no clue where I could get work experience for teaching those - I could help with my sibling's maths tuition, but surely that's a bit different to how school works?

I've just briefly looked up PGCE and all the results are like "Why is PGCE year so hard?" etc etc so I'll research that a bit more.

And I really hope that if I do get into teaching, I'll be a good one. There are some really...uhm...annoying teaching in my school that have no patience and also no reasoning, and I'm worried that I might end up like them and end up torturing more students, but maybe experience will help with that?
Also, do GCSEs matter for anything? As in, to what extent are GCSEs and teaching connected?
Thank you
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Dododododo)
Thank you for replying One thing that almost everyone's said in this thread is to get experience, and I'll be sure to look into doing that asap as soon as this whole lockdown thing is over. I'm not sure what I'd teach but I've been thinking about french or biology or maths, but I have no clue where I could get work experience for teaching those - I could help with my sibling's maths tuition, but surely that's a bit different to how school works?

I've just briefly looked up PGCE and all the results are like "Why is PGCE year so hard?" etc etc so I'll research that a bit more.

And I really hope that if I do get into teaching, I'll be a good one. There are some really...uhm...annoying teaching in my school that have no patience and also no reasoning, and I'm worried that I might end up like them and end up torturing more students, but maybe experience will help with that?
Also, do GCSEs matter for anything? As in, to what extent are GCSEs and teaching connected?
Thank you
If covid calms down, you'll probably be able to do some school work experience for your work experience week towards the end of the year.
Personally, I went back to my old secondary school during my gap year for a few months. Unfortunately, this is my gap year, so it didn't go exactly as planned. :/
PGCE year is supposed to be really hard. I got told that several times by several different teachers during my work experience.
I'm sure you'll be great! Honestly, the main thing about teachers being good for me is that they actually need to enjoy their job and fund the subject they teach genuinely interesting, and be good at it. The teachers who I found genuinely bad (not just the ones I didn't really like) either clearly hated their job, the subject, had no idea what they were talking about, or a mixture of all.
GCSEs don't matter massively. As long as you get at least a C/4 in English Language and maths, that's all you need to for teaching itself, though of course you'll also need to meet entry requirements for college and uni, which often require more GCSEs, and at higher grades. For example, if you went on to take French, Bio and Maths at college, you'd need a B/6 in all those subjects, and for Bio you might need a B in 2 sciences (that's what my college required anyway).
Keep in mind that most good-very good unis require further maths if you want to do a maths degree (which you'll probably need to teach maths), so check the requirements of some unis you might want to go to/maybe get your teachers to recommend you some.
In your work experience week, if you manage to get it in a school, maybe have a 'main' subject you want to stay in most of the week, then ask if you can spend a day in each of the other subjects you want to teach.
Also, it's worth considering that often, science and MFL teachers will be expected to teach more than one science/MFL. Eg. You'd ACTUALLY train to teach MAINLY French, but also German. Or you might MAINLY teach Biology, but also Chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed