The Student Room Group

Migrant Worker loan

Hello everyone!

I am due to start my second year at uni this coming September and I've applied for a maintenance loan as a migrant worker back in March 2020, just before the lockdown in the UK was about to begin. Unfortunately, I was also made redundant by my part-time job around the same time.

When sending my application to student finance, I have made clear of my situation within the notes section and sent all the required evidence along with the redundancy letter, payslips, work contract etc. I have been working at my part-time job for a total of 6 months before being made redundant, therefore I am wondering if it's possible to receive a loan or at least part of the loan as a migrant worker for the total of those 6 months that I've been employed for?

I will be very greatful if someone knows the answer to this. Thank you.
Original post by allienova
Hello everyone!

I am due to start my second year at uni this coming September and I've applied for a maintenance loan as a migrant worker back in March 2020, just before the lockdown in the UK was about to begin. Unfortunately, I was also made redundant by my part-time job around the same time.

When sending my application to student finance, I have made clear of my situation within the notes section and sent all the required evidence along with the redundancy letter, payslips, work contract etc. I have been working at my part-time job for a total of 6 months before being made redundant, therefore I am wondering if it's possible to receive a loan or at least part of the loan as a migrant worker for the total of those 6 months that I've been employed for?

I will be very greatful if someone knows the answer to this. Thank you.

Hi, what is the exact date you first arrived in the UK and what are the months you worked in the first year?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, what is the exact date you first arrived in the UK and what are the months you worked in the first year?
Thanks, Isaac

Hi,

I have first arrived in the UK nearly 3 years ago, around the 10th of August 2017.
If you're referring to the first year in me arriving in the UK, I have worked full time for 2 consecutive years through different jobs since arriving in the UK, That was till September 2019 when I had to quit my full time job due to starting uni. I have started my part-time job whilst studying in November 2019 and was made redundant in April 2020
Original post by allienova
Hi,

I have first arrived in the UK nearly 3 years ago, around the 10th of August 2017.
If you're referring to the first year in me arriving in the UK, I have worked full time for 2 consecutive years through different jobs since arriving in the UK, That was till September 2019 when I had to quit my full time job due to starting uni. I have started my part-time job whilst studying in November 2019 and was made redundant in April 2020

The deadline for 2019/20 funding has now passed so your are not eligible to claim unless you have a valid reason for applying after the deadline.

If you send in:
- a cover letter to explain why you are applying after the deadline and also explain that you are applying to receive funding for the 6 months you were working
- your employment contract from when you were working
- Payslips from when you were working
- A 2019/20 PN1 SFE form if you have not already sent this

The Migrant Worker team will review your case, if they think you have a valid reason for applying late then you may be eligible.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending