Worried i've permanently damaged my skin

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Okay so I've been getting into skin care and used this sunscreen with a really high alcohol content and only today have I realised youre not supposed to use it on the face
The bottle even says not to use on face in fine print but I didn't realise and I have been using it for the past month... I have noticed no real changes and nothing damaging but I'm worried that this will cause some real issues
I plan on swapping to another sunscreen now but feel really bad because I made my parents spend a lot of money on this product and now can't even use it anywhere but my body
Have I permanently damaged my skin? I'm just really worried because it does say to not use on face and I have been for the past month or so
PLEASE HELP
Anonymous #1
I don't know why you can't use on the face... I'm guessing due to its extremely high alcohol content (like you can smell it) ?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
When used properly, sunscreens are proven to prevent skin damage. But if not applied often enough, a sunscreen can actually enhance skin damage, according to a new study. ... But over time, the filters themselves penetrate deeper into the skin, allowing more UV radiation in.
Anonymous #1
I have read in so many places that it is better to use a 'bad' sunscreen than no sunscreen but I'm worried that this one is too bad that I've caused some permanent damage
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
When used properly, sunscreens are proven to prevent skin damage. But if not applied often enough, a sunscreen can actually enhance skin damage, according to a new study. ... But over time, the filters themselves penetrate deeper into the skin, allowing more UV radiation in.
Yeah.... I only apply like once or twice a day because I barely leave the house. Will the high alcohol content have done any damage to my skin?
Anonymous #1
I just don’t know why they’d manufacture a sunscreen if it wasn’t to be used on the face!
Theloniouss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you haven't noticed any problems so far there are almost certainly no serious side effects. Don't worry so much about it
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Okay so I've been getting into skin care and used this sunscreen with a really high alcohol content and only today have I realised youre not supposed to use it on the face
The bottle even says not to use on face in fine print but I didn't realise and I have been using it for the past month... I have noticed no real changes and nothing damaging but I'm worried that this will cause some real issues
I plan on swapping to another sunscreen now but feel really bad because I made my parents spend a lot of money on this product and now can't even use it anywhere but my body
Have I permanently damaged my skin? I'm just really worried because it does say to not use on face and I have been for the past month or so
PLEASE HELP
nah, your skin is probably fine, maybe just a little irritated? just get a good moisturiser
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Theloniouss)
If you haven't noticed any problems so far there are almost certainly no serious side effects. Don't worry so much about it
Yeah my skin is literally not sensitive at all so I’m sure the alcohol would only really dry it out a bit
My sunscreen I bought today said it is best for fair skin (I’m brown but still have fairly light skin) but it’s the only good one in my area so should I just use it anyway?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
nah, your skin is probably fine, maybe just a little irritated? just get a good moisturiser
It didn’t really do anything tbh, other than make my skin a little shinier it didn’t have any other side effects
I kind of wanna finish it but there’s so much left of the alcohol sunscreen that it’s gonna take a couple of months
Anonymous #1
I don’t have the money right now to be spending like £20 on a sunscreen so am resorting to cheaper options right now. A lot of stuff I’ve read online seems to say that having ‘harmful’ ingredients in sunscreen (like alcohol denatured, fragrance etc.) is better then no sunscreen
I didn’t really care much for skincare and my parents have really good skin despite never using anything like sunscreen, moisturiser etc. So naturally I assume I’m gonna be similar in terms of skin but TIktok and YouTube and social media has made me realise that I should put at least a little effort but there’s so MANY rules in skin care that I can’t really afford all these serums and expensive skin care stuff
I’ve stuck to the basic cleanser (this is alcohol free), moisturiser (again alc free) and sunscreen because I don’t wanna make it too complicated and make my skin too dependent on all these serums etc.
It’s also easier to follow the basic routine so I think I can maintain this for a really long time
I’ve done everything right according to dermatologists (no make up wipes, physical scrubs are a no, no face mists, dermarollers etc.) the only thing I messed up on was using a very high alcohol content sunscreen which is not recommended for the face and feel like it’s gonna so long term damage even though it’s only been a month
Anonymous #1
Sorry I feel like I’m ranting but I’m finally starting to be happy with the way I look and having good skin will be good for my confidence (especially later on because I’m a little scared of ageing and know I won’t be able to accept it as easily) so this sunscreen issue has become a big thing for me
I also live in the UK and a lot of people seem to be saying that sunscreen in the UK is pointless but idk who to listen to
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Anything with fragrance/alcohol etc. can sensitise your skin and cause long-term irritation but not 'damage' in terms of it's structure.

You're aware of the issue now, so don't stress too much. Just concentrating on fixing and maintaining a healthy moisture barrier and find an SPF that can be used on the face.
Anonymous #1
Anything with fragrance/alcohol etc. can sensitise your skin and cause long-term irritation but not 'damage' in terms of it's structure.

You're aware of the issue now, so don't stress too much. Just concentrating on fixing and maintaining a healthy moisture barrier and find an SPF that can be used on the face.
Ah okay, I don’t reallly have sensitive skin and I’m only 19 so have plenty of time to get skincare right. In terms of irritation, will one months use of heavy alcohol content sunscreen cause long term irritation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (144)
37.31%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.35%
Look for a job (13)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.4%
Take a year out (67)
17.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.22%

Watched Threads