OCorOOC6337
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey, I was wondering what books (or other literature) people read in preparation for applying to study geography at uni, or just that they found interesting relating to the subject? I'm currently reading Tim Marshall's Prisoners of Geography and loving it, so any similar things would be great!
Thanks.
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by OCorOOC6337)
Hey, I was wondering what books (or other literature) people read in preparation for applying to study geography at uni, or just that they found interesting relating to the subject? I'm currently reading Tim Marshall's Prisoners of Geography and loving it, so any similar things would be great!
Thanks.
I loved Dharshini David's The Almighty Dollar!
OCorOOC6337
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by theJoyfulGeek)
I loved Dharshini David's The Almighty Dollar!
Ooh, that looks pretty interesting thank you and it's relatively new too Definitely one I'll keep an eye out for.
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks.
Hi OCorOOC6337,

I hope you are well,

Prisoners of Geography is also a personal favourite of mine. After reading the book I also listened to the Audio Book and thoroughly enjoyed it again- would highly recommend doing that.

A couple of other books which I would recommend include Disaster Capitalism: Making a Killing Out of Catastrophe by Antony Loewenstein. In my opinion, it was an eye opening book demonstrating the impact of unequal human development on natural disaster fatalities and damage.

Another personal favourite- Coasts in Crisis: A Global Challenge by Gary Griggs. I have always been fascinated by Coasts and my A Level Geography teacher recommended it and it certainly didn’t disappoint.

If you want to read a more academically styled book in preparation for university. I would recommend reading Human Geography: A Concise Introduction by Mark Boyle. Or if you are wanting a book which is orientated around Physical Geography I would recommend reading Earth Portrait of a Planet: Sixth edition Stephen Marshak.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
OCorOOC6337
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep)
Hi OCorOOC6337,

I hope you are well,

Prisoners of Geography is also a personal favourite of mine. After reading the book I also listened to the Audio Book and thoroughly enjoyed it again- would highly recommend doing that.

A couple of other books which I would recommend include Disaster Capitalism: Making a Killing Out of Catastrophe by Antony Loewenstein. In my opinion, it was an eye opening book demonstrating the impact of unequal human development on natural disaster fatalities and damage.

Another personal favourite- Coasts in Crisis: A Global Challenge by Gary Griggs. I have always been fascinated by Coasts and my A Level Geography teacher recommended it and it certainly didn’t disappoint.

If you want to read a more academically styled book in preparation for university. I would recommend reading Human Geography: A Concise Introduction by Mark Boyle. Or if you are wanting a book which is orientated around Physical Geography I would recommend reading Earth Portrait of a Planet: Sixth edition Stephen Marshak.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Thank you very much, this is a brilliant little list, particularly Disaster Capitalism and Mark Boyle's introduction!
Along their vein (and Prisoners' too), would you have any recommendations for further geopolitics books? Human geography is my passion, and my Economics A-level has only furthered that, but the interconnection between socioeconomics and the physical environment is quite possibly my favourite part of all.

Additionally, would you say it matters, when referencing reading materials for personal statements, if the book/literature is slightly older? Not from 2008 preferably, but say 2016, when with human geography in particular, circumstances, predictions and other data may have changed since?

Thank you again!
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you very much, this is a brilliant little list, particularly Disaster Capitalism and Mark Boyle's introduction!
Along their vein (and Prisoners' too), would you have any recommendations for further geopolitics books? Human geography is my passion, and my Economics A-level has only furthered that, but the interconnection between socioeconomics and the physical environment is quite possibly my favourite part of all.

Additionally, would you say it matters, when referencing reading materials for personal statements, if the book/literature is slightly older? Not from 2008 preferably, but say 2016, when with human geography in particular, circumstances, predictions and other data may have changed since?

Thank you again!
Hi @OCorOOC6337,

I have just seen your response in the notifications, I am very sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner.

I am not sure if you have already written your personal statement, but you could consider referencing something which interests/inspires you. It may help with the flow of your personal statement and the readability. Therefore, if the material demonstrates your point, the date may not be relevant.

Or suppose you want to find a recent article. In that case, you could search your interest on Google Scholar and select “Since 2016” for example. It will search the most relevant articles or book chapters which could also demonstrate your interest well.

Which? Also, briefly explains how you may write about content you've learnt outside off the classroom. But you also would want to consult your tutor/teachers as well.

“Interest in your subject beyond the classroom
This could be through books or journals you’ve read, events you’ve been to, podcasts you’ve listened to etc. Don’t just make a long list though; pick one or two key examples and focus on these.
Don’t be afraid to be critical either; critical analysis is a key skill at degree-level study.”

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/money/univer...t-a3bfp7h4yv7s - Which?

Take care,

Best Wishes,

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
29.69%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
20.31%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (4)
6.25%
No - I live at home during term anyway (20)
31.25%

Watched Threads