Have you ever felt that people look down on you?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I don't really trust anyone to talk to in real life about stuff like this... so I usually do all my ranting online lol.

I feel like a lot of people look down on me. Friends, family, basically anyone who knows me. I've realised the past few day's especially, it just shows with the way they talk about me, talk to me, and treat me (and my family).

I just feel like saying: I'm sorry I'm not as intelligent and as talented as you, I'm sorry me and my family are not as rich as you, I'm sorry I'm not as loud and as extroverted as you, but that doesn't make you better than me - to all those people (which happen to be a lot.)

I know people are gonna deny that they do, but it is evident they do think like this about us whether they are aware of it or not. I do know that I'm good for nothing, but I'm a nice person... not that it get's you far in life.

Sorry if this is long, I know quite a few people are gonna say 'you shouldn't care what people think of you' which I do agree with to some extent, but other than that, any advice?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
More often than I'd like. Don't degrade yourself just because of what other people think of you. I just switched off to what other people thought of me because I realised it wasn't relevant unless I wanted them to give me a job or I wanted a relationship with them, that seems to me to be all you can do.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't really trust anyone to talk to in real life about stuff like this... so I usually do all my ranting online lol.

I feel like a lot of people look down on me. Friends, family, basically anyone who knows me. I've realised the past few day's especially, it just shows with the way they talk about me, talk to me, and treat me (and my family).

I just feel like saying: I'm sorry I'm not as intelligent and as talented as you, I'm sorry me and my family are not as rich as you, I'm sorry I'm not as loud and as extroverted as you, but that doesn't make you better than me - to all those people (which happen to be a lot.)

I know people are gonna deny that they do, but it is evident they do think like this about us whether they are aware of it or not. I do know that I'm good for nothing, but I'm a nice person... not that it get's you far in life.

Sorry if this is long, I know quite a few people are gonna say 'you shouldn't care what people think of you' which I do agree with to some extent, but other than that, any advice?
You are definitely not good for nothing, so please don't think that. :hugs:

Sometimes, I feel like that but then I realised that you can't make everyone happy, so the best thing to do is just make YOURSELF happy and that is enough.
Cucümber man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I tower above all other vegetables
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Definitely, especially as im studying a course at university that isn't well known. I will be applying for medicine, though, and look forward to seeing the change in how i am treated by people. I certainty will not be associating myself those people who do change. Family members are relieved because i am looked at highly by the elders in my family. Being the oldest cousin, many of my aunties and uncles are very relieved that i did not pursue medicine so that their kids can be looked at more highly. Disgusting in my opinion, especially as i know i am loved greatly by all my cousins which my aunties and uncles hate. I will continue to have a good heart and good intentions despite their horrible personas, though.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Probably, then again I have done some pretty stupid things that deserve to be condemned. But people need to understand that I've got an alcohol problem and many of my mistakes have been made while intoxicated.
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Cucümber man)
I tower above all other vegetables
cucumber are awesome

i love salad
Cucümber man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wannabevetnurse)
cucumber are awesome

i love salad
A woman of taste.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All the time, I enjoy it
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I don't know your circumstances or how intelligent you are or percieved to be... but people sneering at you or belittling you could truly be the case- that is their intentions and from what I've guaged you seem to be from a non-traditional western household, which from my experience I've heard plenty of the "looking down on" culture.

However, to also provide an alternative view, sometimes when we have insecurities we can make ourselves paranoid and feel jugded because we oursevles find parts of us unfulfilling concurrent with a lack of external positive enforcement it could throw us into a spiral of self-loathing and misinterpretion of other's intentions.

And a view similar to the above there is a third option, and that is that the people looking "down" of you may be doing it unintentionally or you percieve their behaviour as condenscending. I'll give a example personal to myself, I have often been regarded as keen, traditionally intelligent, mature and person from greater wealth than those around me. Being keen I often explained things to my peers in full detail - this was part of modus operandi but something I also developed because I was speaking to people who on pen and paper knew less than me, this of course came out as me being condenscending on the individuals when i meant not offense nor did I see them as less capable, conversly it also led me accused of "mansplaining" (although the accusee wasn't in the right frame of mind.)... another example was that I've been fortunate enough to travel from a young age, skiing, cultural sight seeing etc; when speaking about my experiences infront of my less fortunate peers I over the years found out that they viewed me talking about my experiences as boasting and inconsiderate of their circumstances when to myself I was simply sharing a part of my life- as time went on, I took the intiative to be careful on how i express these parts of myself but ultimately me tip-toeing around to some came out as being condenscending.

Now i don't proclaim I had no fault and I have worked to come across more "correctly" only so far as it would benefit me.

I'm not diagnosing you as delusional or as self-loathing, I'm just expressing the possibilities that could be surrounding you and to do some self-reflection. If you truly believe that your "friends" and family are 'against' you or belittling you, then, the best you can do is prove them wrong and us their dissent as your fair.

Best of luck and don't get bogged down, I'm sure you have many years to develop yourself and identity.

The principles of your journey matters, but most importanty; the way it ends.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (129)
24.02%
Better than expected (117)
21.79%
Worse than expected (291)
54.19%

Watched Threads