IB gave me lower grades than expected. Is it still enough to reapply?

Watch
ayesla
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I am planning on reapplying to Cambridge because of corona and the pandemic but also because I want to give it another shot (was rejected post-interview).

I was predicted 45 in the IB (4A* equivalent) but was lowered to 42 for some unknown reason and have a 42 (2A* and 2A equivalent) now.

I know it is above/equal to the minimum grade, but my university counselor showed me stats showing that the average student invited to interview had higher predicted grades than me (didn't see anything about those applying with final grades).

Given I do well on my PS and Admissions Test, do you think these grades will make my application less competitive?
Calliso
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Obligatory 'it's hard to say because Oxbridge admissions are frankly alien' comment.

Listen, are you positive that you want to reapply? What have you done since your rejection that makes your application more competitive than before? I'm not telling you to give up, but Oxbridge are constantly sifting through the best of the best, so it's likely that a discrepancy in your grades will hinder your chances at an Interview.

With that being said, I was predicted A*AA at a level, had pretty average GCSEs, a 52 in the ELAT (so not the most competitive application by any means) and was still invited to interview at Jesus College for English Literature.

If you have the option of going to a non-Oxbridge university this academic year, I'd say take it. Don't dwell on the past, and rather use your rejection as a springboard into something more motivated. You can reapply for Postgraduate study, but applicants rarely benefit from reapplying. I'd encourage you not to waste a year applying to Cambridge post-rejection.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
A couple of questions:

Were you pooled?
What are your HL subjects and what grades did you get in those?
Applying for which course?
dking2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 hours ago
Did you do IB at a state school in the UK? If so have a look at the post results service that Christs College offer. This is available immediately after A level results are released.

Are you planning on applying for a science or humanities subject? This could have a bearing on the competitiveness of your application.

Good Luck!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 hours ago
The IB exists in the UK, you don't need to (and shouldn't) equivocate IB scores with A-level results as a) they are not the same and can't be equivocated as such anyway, and b) UK students will be very used to seeing IB scores listed next to A-level entry criteria for universities and understand what good vs bad results are broadly speaking.

That aside, provided you meet or exceed the standard entry criteria, including any required subjects and specified grades at HL, you have as much of a chance as anyone else to get an offer, and will probably be interviewed unless you do extremely poorly on any pre-interview admissions assessments. Cambridge put relatively little weight on the personal statement in general, although in interview they may ask questions about things you've mentioned in it (so don't write about books you've never read, or only read parts of).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 17 hours ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads