How to get insured as a learner driver?

Watch
themartinipolice
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I’m starting lessons as soon as I can get my provisional, but I won’t be able to get any practice as nobody in my family really drives (well doesn’t own a car). I’m going to be buying a car regardless and my mum suggested I get it before, I could even learn it it. But I can’t find a lot of help online about how I would go about it. Once I’ve bought and taxed a car I can take out provisional insurance policies.

Can I take these out for a short period eg 3 months, how much does it cost? My mum has a full license so could accompany me but we she have to be insured too?

Thanks for any help
impoor123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
‘marmalade insurance’ do v good learner insurance it can be for 2 hours and i think can go up to 3 months.
Nadim Chowdhury
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Try marmalade insurance. Remember L plates and the passenger in the front has to be over 21 with 3 years full license.

Can't really help out, I took lessons with an instructor and didn't worry about insurance
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I've never done it that way around. When I taught my partner to drive I simply called up my insurer and added her as a named learner driver (actually dropped the price by 20 quid..).

Your cheapest option might be to buy the car and "give" it to your mum while you're learning for her to use as a run-around. Insure her as the main driver and you as as named learner driver. Once you pass your test then simply insure yourself as the main driver and away you go. If you do this make sure she's doing more miles running to the shops than you are learning to drive otherwise the insurance company gets funny about main/named driver distinctions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
17.99%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
28.04%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (102)
53.97%

Watched Threads