Should we be going back to university?

Watch
hba_1116
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Do you guys think it’s a good idea for unis to be reopening in September? We’re still having 500+ new cases everyday and many countries are entering a second wave
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hba_1116)
Do you guys think it’s a good idea for unis to be reopening in September? We’re still having 500+ new cases everyday and many countries are entering a second wave
Open everything back up.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Students are one of the least at-risk groups available, if any group can survive an outbreak it's the student body. The same can't quite be said for staff at universities of course, and that's why a large number of universities have reduced in-person staff-to-student contact in favour of online options. So this shouldn't be confused with the complete return to a normal HE environment. However, that's not me saying that there are no risks. The government's job now is to look at all Britain's industries and sectors, calculate all the risks and advise from there. In the government's eyes this risk is calculated to be safe enough for return under certain conditions:
https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/pol...-june-2020.pdf
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
the younger you are, the less likely you are to suffer from the effects of covid-19. students are the safest group of people right now.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
P.S. Thread title tweaked to make the topic a bit more clear.
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes. We can't be wasting out lives sitting around for a virus that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am not so sure, as for some courses they can be taught online, at least for part of the year. The issue is not the risk of being ill from the virus for young people, but passing it on to others. Young people in bars and clubs are thought to be a contributor to the areas in Spain with high infection, for example.

If only those courses which cannot practically be taught online go back, then social distancing in halls which are not full can be practiced.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I am not so sure, as for some courses they can be taught online, at least for part of the year. The issue is not the risk of being ill from the virus for young people, but passing it on to others. Young people in bars and clubs are thought to be a contributor to the areas in Spain with high infection, for example.

If only those courses which cannot practically be taught online go back, then social distancing in halls which are not full can be practiced.
Universities are already adopting policies that restrict the number of students sharing corridors and kitchens in an effort to encourage social distancing.
jfoo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If Primary and Secondary are open Uni's should definitely be open
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hba_1116)
Yes.

Universities are businesses and they need the money. Also, students need to make progress with their lives and continue their next stage of education, be it 100% remote or hybrid teaching.

Some university staff can work from home as well, it's not like the entire university machine will be back to normal. There will be precautions.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not all students are young either.
I will be avoiding in person attendance as long as possible, both due to contact during classes and travelling on public transport across London risks.
We’ll have to see how it works (though first term online anyway)
2023student
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm wondering how thing's like the library and catering will work this year? Surely that can't be open or they will have to do massive social distancing
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 2023student)
I'm wondering how thing's like the library and catering will work this year? Surely that can't be open or they will have to do massive social distancing
For the library, they could ask all students to apply hand sanitiser on entry, restrict number of attendees and increase online services for those who know what books they're needing to loan.

Catering would use the same social distancing policies that all the open restaurants and cafes are currently operating...
money-for-all
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Yes.

Universities are businesses and they need the money. Also, students need to make progress with their lives and continue their next stage of education, be it 100% remote or hybrid teaching.

Some university staff can work from home as well, it's not like the entire university machine will be back to normal. There will be precautions.
No offence, I respect your opinion BUT, It's this kind of sympathetic thinking that 'universities are businesses and they need money', which makes the tuition fee so expensive.

Do you know that Universities have endowments, totalling well over £100 million per annum. Our tuition fee is just additional pocket money for them.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes our local library is doing a click and collect version, that’s probably easier to implement in a university where you tend to browse less (though I have stated to do more searched using the Dewey reference to see stuff that is similar to others.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by money-for-all)
No offence, I respect your opinion BUT, It's this kind of sympathetic thinking that 'universities and businesses and they need money', which makes the tuition fee so expensive.

Do you know that Universities have endowments, totalling well over £100 million per annum. Our tuition fee is just additional pocket money for them.
Of course I know they have endowments...

I am not a fan of the funding model either, and I have given my opinion on it for years, but it is what it is. Little point debating about how universities should be funded now when the academic year starts in little over a month's time...
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by money-for-all)
No offence, I respect your opinion BUT, It's this kind of sympathetic thinking that 'universities are businesses and they need money', which makes the tuition fee so expensive.

Students still think they are special - no the money they are paying is lol.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At some point we have to get back to normality.

The solution is not to slowly suffocate the economy till every business, job & pension are in the bin in the eventual hope we have a vaccine.

We need to learn to take sensible risk & mitigate as much as possible.

EDIT: how many lives will be lost due to a shrunken economy? less money for NHS, increased healthcare costs, not to mention people in poverty and low income backgrounds die earlier. Your not slowing the deaths by locking down just delaying them and costing us far more.
Last edited by mnot; 1 week ago
YourClassLiberal
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think they should, but people MUST follow social distancing rules. I for one am not paying for Accomodation and choosing to live at home (live 30 mins away by train which I get for free) since freshers will be cancelled, nightclubs closed and most teaching online. Accomodation just isn’t worth it if you live nearby
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well for some degrees such as healthcare courses which are very practical, the time is ticking as graduation looms ahead. These courses definitely need to get up and running again otherwise we’ll end up with a bunch of medical, dental, nursing and other allied healthcare students who graduate with insufficient skills to actually be competent at their job - and this in itself is fatal.

Or, an alternative situation is these students are not allowed to graduate and then you’d end up with a backlog of HCP students - and that would be a whole other issue.

Edit: I know that this response is very specific, but it is quite an important point to consider for universities who offer these courses.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (174)
38.07%
Take autumn exams (143)
31.29%
Look for a job (16)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.6%
Take a year out (76)
16.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.91%

Watched Threads