D_Oberst
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone, hope you're doing well. Firstly, I'd like to apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place, I'm not used to posting on The Student Room. Please redirect me to the relevant part of the forum if this is the case
So, I'd be very grateful if I could get your guys' honest opinion on my situation. I'm in year 13 considering a post A-level results (which I'll be receiving in about 2 weeks- scary!) application to Cambridge for law. My GCSEs were somewhat decent (999888877) considering the school I sat my exams at doesn't have the best exam results.

I sat my AS exams and did much worse than I should have due to extenuating circumstances for which I'm currently in the process of filling out the necessary forms with my doctor, with AS grades of ABCE (the E being in physics which I naturally did not carry to A2 lol).

As I'm sure you could imagine, I wasn't comfortable applying with those AS grades being the latest example of my academic ability, extenuating circumstances or otherwise. Thus, I decided to apply with my A-level results, which I was sure would be better.

Obviously COVID19 has caused an issue with this, and I'm now waiting for the generated grades. Unfortunately, the years that preceded us at our school were not as high achieving as us, so we're in a difficult situation at the moment. I am prepared to take the Autumn exams, but this does mean I may be applying with predictions rather than the grades I likely would have gotten (my mock results were A*A*A).

I have what I believe to be a very strong set of supercurriculars which have formed what I think is a good personal statement. I have documented my extenuating circumstances and have an academic background which suggests such results are out of character. Also, not all schools do AS anymore (in fact, most don't), so I'm wondering how much of a bearing on my chances at interview this could have to begin with.

That said, only 75-80% of applicants are interviewed, and almost everyone who applies to Cambridge will be competitive. That said, I have 2 questions:

1) Firstly, how weak of an applicant must you be to be denied an interview? I understand having the wrong subjects, bombing a pre-interview admissions test and having a weak academic background are likely culprits. However, I must ask just how weak these grades need to be (with extenuating circumstances) to be denied an interview?
2) Do I, in your opinion, have a decent chance at an interview?

I would greatly appreciate your complete honesty, even if it might not be what I want to hear. If you think there's any information that I should have included here which would have given you a better picture, do let me know and I shall elaborate (within reason of course haha).
brionyvj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! Having done loads of research and having spoke to admissions tutors, I definitely think you have a chance. Stating any extenuating circumstances will help a lot, and supercurriculars are great too. Whilst obviously nothing is guaranteed, you've got nothing to lose. Good luck!
D_Oberst
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by brionyvj)
Hi! Having done loads of research and having spoke to admissions tutors, I definitely think you have a chance. Stating any extenuating circumstances will help a lot, and supercurriculars are great too. Whilst obviously nothing is guaranteed, you've got nothing to lose. Good luck!
Hi there! Thanks so much for the reassuring words, and for the good luck wishes too, it is greatly appreciated!
I should have an extenuating circumstances form submitted so I can only hope it won't pose too much of an issue.
All the best
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Im hoping to apply this October (going into Y13) and have been planning an application since I started college and randomly felt inspired to do it (even I don’t know why)

I’ve seen a lot of people put it down as an option for the sake of it, with no thought as to how their system works and nothing above average or impressive to show off. They may have good grades but the simple fact is Cambridge isn’t going to bother interviewing some average person in it “for the lols”.

Thinking about it positively, 80% is still quite a majority. I just like to think that 20% were the clueless and deluded - you certainly aren’t with those grades.

My teachers are predicting me A*A*A and I am applying for History for 2021 admission. I am in no way expecting to just ‘get in’ but I’d be a little bit shocked to not be given a chance at an interview with those grades and all my evidence of passion :/
Hard dude
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Nevi)
Im hoping to apply this October (going into Y13) and have been planning an application since I started college and randomly felt inspired to do it (even I don’t know why)

I’ve seen a lot of people put it down as an option for the sake of it, with no thought as to how their system works and nothing above average or impressive to show off. They may have good grades but the simple fact is Cambridge isn’t going to bother interviewing some average person in it “for the lols”.

Thinking about it positively, 80% is still quite a majority. I just like to think that 20% were the clueless and deluded - you certainly aren’t with those grades.

My teachers are predicting me A*A*A and I am applying for History for 2021 admission. I am in no way expecting to just ‘get in’ but I’d be a little bit shocked to not be given a chance at an interview with those grades and all my evidence of passion :/
What car do you have?
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Hard dude)
What car do you have?
A neon green one with rainbow racing stripes and tinted windows! Built in subwoofer and massage seats with toilet facilities. Also functions as a battle submarine!

I don’t drive yet. No car :’(
Physicsqueen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You do have a chance of getting an interview. My advice is go for it, you’ll always wonder ‘what if I applied to Cambridge?’ otherwise. It’s only one of 5 choices on an UCAS application, so it’s definitely worth it.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application.
Hard dude
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Nevi)
A neon green one with rainbow racing stripes and tinted windows! Built in subwoofer and massage seats with toilet facilities. Also functions as a battle submarine!

I don’t drive yet. No car :’(
Oh
D_Oberst
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Nevi)

Firstly, best of luck with your application for history! Fingers crossed you'll smash it

The fact that you've been planning this for a while implies to me that you'll probably have taken the time to fine-tune your application in terms of supercurricular, so it sounds like you're in a decent position. Equally, those grades are FAR from a problem. By the sounds of it I would defo be confident in your chances at interview!

You're definitely right that many of the 20% will be applying on a whim, which may put me ahead of them. I'm just somewhat intimidated because I know that sometimes it can be cutthroat. There was a guy in my year with all 8/9 at GCSE, AAAA at AS and what seemed like a decent personal statement (I didn't read it but he got our experienced admissions officer to look over it quite a lot). He applied to a college that was mid-range in terms of competitiveness, and still wasn't interviewed. Granted, this is likely because he had to take the NSAA prior to interview and remarked that he felt that he'd done badly on it, which might have cost him his chance. Equally, he was applying to PhysNatSci and didn't do further maths, which may have further put a nail in the coffin.

My admissions test is at interview and my subjects aren't an issue, but the fact that an otherwise strong candidate wasn't even deemed to have a chance of redeeming himself at interview makes me worried that despite having extenuating circumstances, that my AS grades may cause a problem if you get me lol.

(Original post by Physicsqueen)
You do have a chance of getting an interview. My advice is go for it, you’ll always wonder ‘what if I applied to Cambridge?’ otherwise. It’s only one of 5 choices on an UCAS application, so it’s definitely worth it.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application.
Thank you for the good luck wish! And you're definitely right. I'm just wondering if I'm getting my hopes up a bit much haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (161)
38.42%
Take autumn exams (127)
30.31%
Look for a job (15)
3.58%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.3%
Take a year out (71)
16.95%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
6.44%

Watched Threads