Appealing 2.2 degree to a 2.1 based on mitigating circumstances? Success?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

So I recently received my degree results. I got 57.7%, so a 2.2 overall. I was quite upset and disappointed as I was aiming for a 2.1 throughout my studies. I have received 52.4% in my second year (25% of the overall degree), 52.5% in 1st semester of final year and 66.5% in second semester of final year. The final year results are worth 75% of the overall grade.

I am about to appeal my degree classification as I had some mitigating circumstances. I won't go into much detail, however I had issues with mental health - anxiety and bereavement (grandmother passed away shortly after 1st semester exams).

I was wondering how successful my appeal can be based on this? I have a GP note to prove consultation and prescription of sleeping pills to prove mental health and anxiety, my grandmother's death certificate and email correspondence with my Personal tutor. I haven't claimed mitigating circumstances at the time hence I'm appealing my overall degree mark.

Has anyone received a successful outcome on their appeal and had similar circumstances to me?

All mitigating circumstances refer to my 1st semester results, where I achieved 52.5% and these have been very affected by the above.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should have really put in MC during the assessment period not post results. I am doubtful of this working but there is no harm in trying.
beyond21
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well 2:2 is not end of the world.You can still find some jobs and apply for master degree with 2:2 if entry requirement wanted a 2:1 then you can always explain your reason why you didn't get it to the admission/recruitment team. It's still a achievement in the end and something to be proud of.

Did you not apply for mitigating circumstances for extension/deferral before the submission date as this what University usually ask you to do. But regarding appeal, usually this is a lot harder. Most students usually just appeal for the sake of the degree classification without a strong evidence but for your case i did say it's worth trying. So good luck with it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi everyone,

So I recently received my degree results. I got 57.7%, so a 2.2 overall. I was quite upset and disappointed as I was aiming for a 2.1 throughout my studies. I have received 52.4% in my second year (25% of the overall degree), 52.5% in 1st semester of final year and 66.5% in second semester of final year. The final year results are worth 75% of the overall grade.

I am about to appeal my degree classification as I had some mitigating circumstances. I won't go into much detail, however I had issues with mental health - anxiety and bereavement (grandmother passed away shortly after 1st semester exams).

I was wondering how successful my appeal can be based on this? I have a GP note to prove consultation and prescription of sleeping pills to prove mental health and anxiety, my grandmother's death certificate and email correspondence with my Personal tutor. I haven't claimed mitigating circumstances at the time hence I'm appealing my overall degree mark.

Has anyone received a successful outcome on their appeal and had similar circumstances to me?

All mitigating circumstances refer to my 1st semester results, where I achieved 52.5% and these have been very affected by the above.
Why was the 'mental health and anxiety, bereavement etc' only relevant to the 52.5% and not the 66.5%? In other words, why were all these problems seemingly only relevant to poor marks received in the first half of the semester? Had they just all disappeared by the second semester?

The chances of any successful appeal are minimal. You can't claim ECs retrospectively like this when you get a result you don't like - for obvious reasons. If these problems had been so manifest that they had affected your academic performance to this extent, you needed to apply for ECs before the assessments, not after.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (174)
38.16%
Take autumn exams (143)
31.36%
Look for a job (16)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (20)
4.39%
Take a year out (76)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.92%

Watched Threads