The Student Room Group

Why does my hair keep knotting and breaking off? Am I going bald??

I have extremely thin very very curly (3c) hair and omfg im going to be bald with how much hair is breaking off. I swear to god my hair line is full of broken hair and the inside of my hair is all broken, if i split my hair in half the inside is basically different lengths of broken hair. My hair is chest length when straightened (well the parts that arent broken anyways) if thats important. And my hair keeps getting knotted!! Not gonna lie i do rip the knots out of my hair which increases the amount of breakage but honestly i need help. Im not rich so i cant buy one million different products. I only have shampoo and conditioner (obviously), leave in and gel. Any tips on how to stop breakage, knots and how to grow my hair back? I dont want to end up as the girl version of prince william. Im straightening my hair tonight and dread looking at the unevenness and breakage of my hair
Reply 1
Not gonna lie I exaggerated the title but i need advice asap before it gets noticeable
dont straighten your hair heat aint good for thin hair it just damages it more, when you brush your hair brush it when its wet, its easier, and use hair repairing shampoo and conditioner
Reply 3
Original post by fattyguen
dont straighten your hair heat aint good for thin hair it just damages it more, when you brush your hair brush it when its wet, its easier, and use hair repairing shampoo and conditioner

Yeah I rarely ever straighten my hair but I'm straightening it tomorrow to cut it. I brush it when its wet with tons of conditioner also. But thanks for the advice
Reply 4
Used to along time ago when I was obsessed with the CGM, but now i forgot what that even is. And ill try coconut oil thanks!
A good diet is very important for hair growth
Sounds like it's really really dry. On the night before you wash your hair cover it in hair oil (hemp is good if you can find it in the reduced section of somewhere like holand and barretts), then plat it.
You could use normal olive oil instead of hair oil.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hannah0505
I have extremely thin very very curly (3c) hair and omfg im going to be bald with how much hair is breaking off. I swear to god my hair line is full of broken hair and the inside of my hair is all broken, if i split my hair in half the inside is basically different lengths of broken hair. My hair is chest length when straightened (well the parts that arent broken anyways) if thats important. And my hair keeps getting knotted!! Not gonna lie i do rip the knots out of my hair which increases the amount of breakage but honestly i need help. Im not rich so i cant buy one million different products. I only have shampoo and conditioner (obviously), leave in and gel. Any tips on how to stop breakage, knots and how to grow my hair back? I dont want to end up as the girl version of prince william. Im straightening my hair tonight and dread looking at the unevenness and breakage of my hair

Oh my god, I have the exact save problem except I used to have thick wavy-ish hair, I rarely ever use heat for anything but my hair is really dry, I use hydrating shampoo by John Frieda, and the strands of my hair keep falling out, everyone around me pointed out that my hair looks shorter, I had a trim about a month ago, to remove split ends and knots! but, Im losing hair like no matter what, I'm trying not to put my hair up every 2 seconds bc im pretty sure doing like a high ponytail and sleeping in it, weakens the bonds and stuff, but yh mate I'm shedding hair. I was thinking of resulting to minoxidil, I dont see any bald patches, but my hair is so thin, and for someone who had really thick hair it's quite a drastic change..
Reply 8
Original post by YaliaV
A good diet is very important for hair growth

I have a bad diet that might be it

Original post by glassalice
Sounds like it's really really dry. On the night before you wash your hair cover it in hair oil (hemp is good if you can find it in the reduced section of somewhere like holand and barretts), then plat it.
You could use normal olive oil instead of hair oil.

thanks for the advice

Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Oh my god, I have the exact save problem except I used to have thick wavy-ish hair, I rarely ever use heat for anything but my hair is really dry, I use hydrating shampoo by John Frieda, and the strands of my hair keep falling out, everyone around me pointed out that my hair looks shorter, I had a trim about a month ago, to remove split ends and knots! but, Im losing hair like no matter what, I'm trying not to put my hair up every 2 seconds bc im pretty sure doing like a high ponytail and sleeping in it, weakens the bonds and stuff, but yh mate I'm shedding hair. I was thinking of resulting to minoxidil, I dont see any bald patches, but my hair is so thin, and for someone who had really thick hair it's quite a drastic change..

I can deffo relate. I never had really thick hair but my hair was definitely thicker than it is now. also the back of my hair randomly started becoming wavy, idk why

Are you getting enough vitamin D? A lot of people are probably struggling because of the lockdown.

This could be me! Also having the same issue. Deep conditioning etc helps a little bit but only for a few days. Running out of ideas tbh, it's so so dry.
ty for tagging me

ok so since you have 3c hair you need to make sure you have the right products for your hair. for that kind of curly hair the brands shea moisture and Maui are really good. make sure you use a good shampoo and conditioner and brush your hair from the bottom up so it doesn't break. don't straighten your hair, as you have thin hair heat damage will be bad.
Original post by YaliaV
Are you getting enough vitamin D? A lot of people are probably struggling because of the lockdown.

A little yes, it might be stress related as I have exams coming up!
Samess except my hair is curly- very curly. Like I’m only 16 n strands just keep coming off likeee should I be worried?😟

- my mum put coconut oil in like 2 days ago but I don’t see much difference
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rxyaltyx
ty for tagging me

ok so since you have 3c hair you need to make sure you have the right products for your hair. for that kind of curly hair the brands shea moisture and Maui are really good. make sure you use a good shampoo and conditioner and brush your hair from the bottom up so it doesn't break. don't straighten your hair, as you have thin hair heat damage will be bad.

Thats a bit late since im now sitting with straight hair but thanks for the advice
Original post by glowing_starfish
Samess except my hair is curly- very curly. Like I’m only 16 n strands just keep coming off likeee should I be worried?😟

- my mum put coconut oil in like 2 days ago but I don’t see much difference

Samee. My hair keeps shedding in the shower also
Use Shea moisture products, it does wonders. Also, try avocado mashed with one egg and olive oil. Avocado really helps with hair growth as it has biotin. Tried it on my my mum (4b hair) once and the results were amazing. Her hair had a shine for days and remained moisturised for a week. Also, avoid using heat on hair.

Make sure it’s protected at night with a cap. And don’t try to manipulate hair often. Make sure your hair is in a protective style, like braids. As this will promote hair growth and protect your hair.

Avoid big chops but instead, regular trimmings (every eight weeks) as this will promote growth.

Good luck.
Original post by bimbibap
Use Shea moisture products, it does wonders. Also, try avocado mashed with one egg and olive oil. Avocado really helps with hair growth as it has biotin. Tried it on my my mum (4b hair) once and the results were amazing. Her hair had a shine for days and remained moisturised for a week. Also, avoid using heat on hair.

Make sure it’s protected at night with a cap. And don’t try to manipulate hair often. Make sure your hair is in a protective style, like braids. As this will promote hair growth and protect your hair.

Avoid big chops but instead, regular trimmings (every eight weeks) as this will promote growth.

Good luck.

Thanks! This is the last time im straightening my hair this year
I’ve been really ill with the Corona virus, didn’t eat anything at all for 2 weeks only drank water. Now 3 months later my hair has changed dramatically. It’s coming out in hands full and when I wash it, it’s knotted up really bad and I have to rip it apart to try and get a Afro comb through it even though I’ve been using the same Shampoo and conditioner for a long time and never had this problem.... I think it’s something to do with being ill and not eating.

Quick Reply

Latest