The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Where's the Dr. of Media Studies on this list? Ahem.

:P
Profesh
Then I raise you 'checkout operator', because it encompasses mathematics (counting), philosophy (stoicism), literature (reading), physics (opening and closing the till), business-studies (clocking in and out at appropriate intervals), computing (counting, but with a calculator), law (requesting identification for age-restricted items), and chemistry (with the customer; non-essential, but every little helps).

right well i guess i better cancel my uni place then and head off to my nearest tesco:biggrin:
shame i didnt take any of those subjects:o: never mind.
Oooo bed time for me.. thanks for a good chat peeps it's been nice this eve.

Peace out x
philosophy_kid
Oooo bed time for me.. thanks for a good chat peeps it's been nice this eve.

Peace out x

Tera x
Reply 144
philosophy_kid
They do those things but do you think they understand them?

Within the parameters of their job-description? Sure they do.
solo2wolf
haha I too worship Feynman :biggrin:.

Surely that's compulsory these days :biggrin:
Reply 146
philosophy_kid
You say philosophy serves no purpose, yet physics does.

ok well say physics states that every effect must have a cause.

that's great. but philosophy examines what is 'cause', what is 'effect'. so without philosophy physics is baseless.

I think you need to examine what philosophy is.
Profesh
Within the parameters of their job-description? Sure they do.

As a former cashier, I thank you for making me feel better about myself :biggrin:
n1r4v
I think you need to examine what philosophy is.

Oh dear - Physics is experimental philisophy.
Reply 149
This thread has become ridiculous, people aren't giving serious answers and are babbling. Post all intelligent comments in this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=661762
Reply 150
Original post by T&#334
Philosophers need Physics so that they have something to write about.

Given that even maths is just applied philosophy, can you imagine quite how far down the hierarchy of universality that puts you?
Reply 151
Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder - although I am more interested in Chemistry (voted for it), I would actually prefer to do maths - I find it so elegant. However, when it comes to obtaining a PHD in maths - you seriously are looking at the hardest out of the list - it is almost impossible to come up with new original ideas these days.
Reply 152
Profesh
Given that even maths is just applied philosophy, can you imagine quite how far down the hierarchy of universality that puts you?

Arts students have somehow managed to hijack this thread. Maths is maths. When I learnt my times tables I didn't have to read Aristotle.

EDIT: You have to know something to apply it. Philosophy is 'love of knowledge'. Science is Knowledge, Maths is Logic. By these definitions how can maths be applied philosophy?
Reply 153
ARGH!

This poll is TESTAMENT to the British stereotype that Engineers are just guys in overalls with spanners, fixing washing machines and installing your Sky box.

The most under-rated profession/academic practice in the country.

People just don't seem to realise that Engineers ARE Mathematicians, Physicists, Chemists(and in some cases Biologists) rolled into one. Aswell as being economists, workplace psychologists, finance tycoons and entrepeneurs .

My engineering branch in particular is ROCKET SCIENCE for crying out loud!

I hate this country's view of Engineers. I'm moving to Canada, **** you all.
Mush
ARGH!

This poll is TESTAMENT to the British stereotype that Engineers are just guys in overalls with spanners, fixing washing machines and installing your Sky box.

The most under-rated profession/academic practice in the country.

People just don't seem to realise that Engineers ARE Mathematicians, Physicists, Chemists(and in some cases Biologists) rolled into one. Aswell as being economists, workplace psychologists, finance tycoons and entrepeneurs .

My engineering branch in particular is ROCKET SCIENCE for crying out loud!

I hate this country's view of Engineers. I'm moving to Canada, **** you all.

Jack of all trades...:ninja:
Reply 155
fleur_de_haine
Jack of all trades...:ninja:

Not at all. For an Engineering to be successful and innovative he has to be a master of all three, not average at all three.
Mush
Not at all. For an Engineer to be successful and innovative he has to be a master of all three, not average at all three.

Agreed. Full-on Engineering is a very demanding profession, from what I've heard. Multi-disciplined does not necessarily mean jack of all trades, either. Big difference.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel was one of the greatest innovators of the 19th century. Sadly, I don't think that professional engineers are given so much credit now.

What about the polymath?
I chose maths mainly because I'm doing it x3 Love how it's way out in front in the poll xD

They're different skills really though, engineers might do chemistry, physics and maths, but they don't do them in anywhere near as much detail as the people who do any of those individually /=

At least in maths when we claim something is true every time we mean every time and can prove it with absolute certainty. Physics proofs are way inferiorer, and I'm not sure engineers feel the need to prove anything at all xD

Of course, instead of fighting amongst ourselves we should band together, then we'd definitely be the brainiest group of all x]
Original post by T&#334
Arts students have somehow managed to hijack this thread. Maths is maths. When I learnt my times tables I didn't have to read Aristotle.

EDIT: You have to know something to apply it. Philosophy is 'love of knowledge'. Science is Knowledge, Maths is Logic. By these definitions how can maths be applied philosophy?

lmao! Philosophy is the 'love of knowledge'.

firstly - that isn't even the dictionary definition, which is love of wisdom.
secondly - i do real life philosophy, not 'dictionary-philosophy', which generally embrases just a little more than a quest for more knowledge.
the linguist :hmmm:

ok. i went for the mathematician

Latest

Trending

Trending