what is something you wish you knew before you went to university?

Watch
Mayomikun123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
^^^
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The name of the University
EierVonSatan
Report 1 week ago
How about 63 things?

Edit: Also what is university really like?
Last edited by EierVonSatan; 1 week ago
LegalTom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
[QUOTE=EierVonSatan;90111460]How about 63 things?

Edit: Also [url=https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26960-What-university-is-really-like
Last edited by LegalTom; 1 week ago
LegalTom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
How about 63 things?

Lifesaver ❤️
Mayomikun123
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
How about 63 things?

I didn't know these already existed lol. Thank you!
EierVonSatan
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mayomikun123)
I didn't know these already existed lol. Thank you!
No problem, there is a lot of great stuff on this website that is hard to find :sadnod:
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
^^^
Hi Mayomikun123

One thing I wish I knew was to not buy all the books, as they were quite expensive and some I didn't use. I wish I used them from the library at the start so I could see which ones I really needed. I also wish I knew that I could apply for ambassador jobs at uni from the start, as it would've helped with money.

Zaira
Mayomikun123
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hi Mayomikun123

One thing I wish I knew was to not buy all the books, as they were quite expensive and some I didn't use. I wish I used them from the library at the start so I could see which ones I really needed. I also wish I knew that I could apply for ambassador jobs at uni from the start, as it would've helped with money.

Zaira
That's a good one, I'll keep that in mind! I've heard that some of them are even free online. I also plan on finding a job at uni because my maintenance loan doesn't even cover accomodation (I'm sure its the same for most), what kind of ambassador jobs are there and what do they entail (ik it will be different for each uni)? x
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's a good one, I'll keep that in mind! I've heard that some of them are even free online. I also plan on finding a job at uni because my maintenance loan doesn't even cover accomodation (I'm sure its the same for most), what kind of ambassador jobs are there and what do they entail (ik it will be different for each uni)? x
Hi Mayomikun123

There are quite a lot of different types of uni jobs, at first I applied to be a open day ambassador which can involve signposting visitors, giving tours, welcoming visitors on the desk or giving welcome and student life talks . Because there's not a lot of open days through the year I applied to work other ambassador jobs as well, such as school visits, the university call centre, online chats with prospective students and working on the clearing lines. All the events and roles were varied and entailed different type of work. My favourite thing about working these jobs is that they are casual work so I got to pick when I worked and what shifts I wanted to do.

I know there are also jobs offered through the students union, I don't do these but I think they are weekly jobs such as working with the catering teams.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

Zaira
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
^^^
Have answered a similar thread before...

At uni, there's obviously a whole lot more independent study compared to 6th form but I don't think that's something people realise until they've started their course. Also as a working-class student, I would say that getting into uni is one hurdle to pass because things don't necessarily get easier/better for working-class students once they're at uni. One thing that's prominent to me is the maintenance loan we get because even if you get the maximum loan, some students of a similar background to myself are struggling when they're renting privately as a large chunk of their loan goes towards their rent and bills. As a result, they have a small chunk of their loan left to fend for themselves. Another thing I've realised and learnt is that not everyone is receptive to the idea of having a working-class and social mobility officer at their uni but I do strongly believe that people from better-off backgrounds don't realise/understand how privileged they are and the whole purpose about why a working-class and social mobility officer is necessary at uni. Finally, kinda unrelated to unis, I would say employers and organisations need to recognise the class disparity when it comes to employment after graduating uni. A Sutton Trust report has essentially highlighted that those from less well-off backgrounds will struggle when it comes to employment when you have those from better-off backgrounds being able to gain work experience through various unpaid internships which are inaccessible to many people from a similar background to myself. Honestly, I really want to see changes being made to improve social mobility in society and the issue of class disparity being taken seriously by the current/future government(s).
Mayomikun123
Rep:
?
Hi Mayomikun123

There are quite a lot of different types of uni jobs, at first I applied to be a open day ambassador which can involve signposting visitors, giving tours, welcoming visitors on the desk or giving welcome and student life talks . Because there's not a lot of open days through the year I applied to work other ambassador jobs as well, such as school visits, the university call centre, online chats with prospective students and working on the clearing lines. All the events and roles were varied and entailed different type of work. My favourite thing about working these jobs is that they are casual work so I got to pick when I worked and what shifts I wanted to do.

I know there are also jobs offered through the students union, I don't do these but I think they are weekly jobs such as working with the catering teams.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

Zaira
Thank you! It sounds fun actually, its a good option that I will keep in mind x
Mayomikun123
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Have answered a similar thread before...

At uni, there's obviously a whole lot more independent study compared to 6th form but I don't think that's something people realise until they've started their course. Also as a working-class student, I would say that getting into uni is one hurdle to pass because things don't necessarily get easier/better for working-class students once they're at uni. One thing that's prominent to me is the maintenance loan we get because even if you get the maximum loan, some students of a similar background to myself are struggling when they're renting privately as a large chunk of their loan goes towards their rent and bills. As a result, they have a small chunk of their loan left to fend for themselves. Another thing I've realised and learnt is that not everyone is receptive to the idea of having a working-class and social mobility officer at their uni but I do strongly believe that people from better-off backgrounds don't realise/understand how privileged they are and the whole purpose about why a working-class and social mobility officer is necessary at uni. Finally, kinda unrelated to unis, I would say employers and organisations need to recognise the class disparity when it comes to employment after graduating uni. A Sutton Trust report has essentially highlighted that those from less well-off backgrounds will struggle when it comes to employment when you have those from better-off backgrounds being able to gain work experience through various unpaid internships which are inaccessible to many people from a similar background to myself. Honestly, I really want to see changes being made to improve social mobility in society and the issue of class disparity being taken seriously by the current/future government(s).
I agree 100% with everything you said. When I saw that my maintenance loan didn't even cover accommodation I started to understand why uni students ae always broke and I'm in a pretty privileged position (not rich but not struggling if that makes sense) I would say, so I can't imagine how people from less well-off backgrounds cope.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Hi Mayomikun123

Zaira
ambassador jobs what are they and how do u do them so u need a lot of followers on social media
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
ambassador jobs what are they and how do u do them so u need a lot of followers on social media
Any uni student pretty much can apply to be a student ambassador for their uni and no you don't need to be popular/have a huge social media audience. They normally assist with uni open days and other events. Hope this helps.
Ghosty232
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
^^^
University isn’t going to change your life and going to university isn’t a substitute for fixing personality problems.
Mayomikun123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghosty232)
University isn’t going to change your life and going to university isn’t a substitute for fixing personality problems.
Ooooh that's a good point, especially when you are taking a massive loan on top of that lol
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That after 3, years I would come out with a 2:1 in my chosen subject, lol. Xx
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
^^^
Hey Mayomikun123,

For me, and perhaps specific to my degree (pharmacy) or any other subject with a lot of contact hours is that you don't have enough time to handwrite your notes and you should type them instead.

Hope this helps!😊
From,

Amina
Mayomikun123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hey Mayomikun123,

For me, and perhaps specific to my degree (pharmacy) or any other subject with a lot of contact hours is that you don't have enough time to handwrite your notes and you should type them instead.

Hope this helps!😊
From,

Amina
That's a great tip acc. I'm doing medicine (hopefully if the grades work out lol) so I will probably be in the same position.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (174)
38.07%
Take autumn exams (143)
31.29%
Look for a job (16)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.6%
Take a year out (76)
16.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.91%

Watched Threads