Help, How do I win a Univeristy Coursework Mark Appeal?

Watch
vikki21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I recieved a module mark which was made up of two coursework essays, which was a 2.2 and I feel like my mark should have been alot higher. The feedback given doesn't match my answer and makes suggestions that I did. My university don't allow grade appeals based on "academic judgement" but I really feel like there has been a demonsration of poor judgement on their behalf.

Has anyone ever won a grad appeal before? What can I say to get them to reconsider the marking process?

Any advice woud be greatly appreciated.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In what way does the feedback not match your answer? If I had a quid for each time a student said this to me—and were wrong about it—I'd have a couple more hundred nestled in my account

The most direct way to get a handle on this is to get in touch with the marker and ask them to expand on the grade with the rubric
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by vikki21)
I recieved a module mark which was made up of two coursework essays, which was a 2.2 and I feel like my mark should have been alot higher. The feedback given doesn't match my answer and makes suggestions that I did. My university don't allow grade appeals based on "academic judgement" but I really feel like there has been a demonsration of poor judgement on their behalf.

Has anyone ever won a grad appeal before? What can I say to get them to reconsider the marking process?

Any advice woud be greatly appreciated.
Never appealed a grade.

But I would say go through the assignment brief and mark scheme, find evidence & link it to the feedback as to why you feel the mark is not reflective of your performance.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My university don't allow grade appeals based on "academic judgement" but I really feel like there has been a demonsration of poor judgement on their behalf.
To be honest this is unlikely to go very far unless you identify something like an unmarked page or two or a numerical error. It’s very common for students to be unable to rank their own work with good accuracy. The marker has the advantage of (1) a lot more expertise and quite possibly a decade or more time in the field than you (2) a direct comparison of your work against everything else they just marked for the same exercise and (3) a historic comparison against all similar reports they ever marked, possibly 100s to 1000s of them.

The critical thing to do is to pay very close attention to the feedback and use the comments both bad and good to improve your next piece of work.
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 2 weeks ago
vikki21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mnot)
Never appealed a grade.

But I would say go through the assignment brief and mark scheme, find evidence & link it to the feedback as to why you feel the mark is not reflective of your performance.
This has been helpful i've started to do that and found plenty of evidence. Thank You.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This has been helpful i've started to do that and found plenty of evidence. Thank You.
There is certainly value in this, though probably not in the way you want, e.g. the grade for this bit of work being revised upwards.

Working through the comments and marking rubric carefully can really help you improve your NEXT bit of work, but what you are likely to find is that your view of specific parts of the marking scheme e.g. “well referenced with links to appropriate sources” is very different to that of the marker, e.g. you have references (good) but the range, quality and technical presentation is not at the level needed for a bump up. That detail tends not to be set out explicitly in the marking scheme as it’s a matter of professional judgement and varies too much from exercise to exercise. If you used a couple of web references when several modern and a handful of underpinning “historic” peer reviewed articles from the literature that take a bit of work to find are “better” then you don’t get the next grade up. It’s the same for figures, captions, quality of argument, formatting of text etc, if you really have the skills to make this appeal stick then you should be teaching he course, not taking it .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (136)
24.64%
Better than expected (121)
21.92%
Worse than expected (295)
53.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed