What's your university doing in September/October (because of covid-19)?

Watch
Matt14451
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Birmingham City University said lectures will be online for semester 1 which is good but seminars will be on campus with around 30 students per group. Don't see how they can implement even 1m social distancing with that many students. They mentioned social bubbles but can't do that with so many people, we have our own households and other family to see the risk is high if no social distancing. I'm going into third year so think will only have seminars for two modules, hopefully can do them in one day to minimise time on the bus.
Last edited by Matt14451; 1 week ago
Euphoria101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by remussjhj01)
I'm going to Trinity Laban studying BMus classical guitar performance in September. In my opinion, things look like they won't be super different from how they would have been otherwise.
Generally, it's going to be a mix of online and in-person activities. They're also recording building entry and taking temperature when you do go in. You can only go in for scheduled activities.
-Music history will be online the whole year. Also, our end of year assessment will be 100% of our grade for that subject.
-Class sizes for in person activities will be smaller, with a rota system for activities that require lots of people.
-Applied musicianship will be online in term one, in person in term two. Alexander technique will be term two and movement for musicians will be term three.
-Symphony orchestras will be broken into smaller chamber orchestras (doesn't apply to me, but I imagine most ensembles will be reduced in size where needed).
-Artist as a citizen will be online, and CoLab will continue with social distancing (unless there's further lockdown).
-For freshers, there will be a mix of online and in-person stuff, but they've not given us detail yet.
-We have to wear masks to and from campus, and in buildings if asked.
Because it's a conservatoire though, there's only around 1,200 students in the whole conservatoire (across 3 buildings/campuses, undergrad and postgrad). I think this makes it easier to have more in-person learning. We also start earlier in the year than most unis, so that's why things look fairly confirmed for us too.
How do you feel about that all? The whole thing about your grade solely being based on your end-of-year assessment is kind of scary, but I have no idea how music would work normally anyway

(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Definitely, for sure, they’re even thinking of making the large online presence a permanent change
Really? What would they keep permanent?

(Original post by Anonymous)
UCL! And nope exams are all in term 3 so April onwards!
Nice!

(Original post by _gcx)
warwick.

no in-person lectures for modules above 20-something. (this is every module in the first two years for my subject. Some smaller third/fourth year modules might get in-person lectures I think.)

in-person seminars/supervisions.

seems like the standard approach.
That does seem like the standard yeah, it's nice that universities are making efforts to do face-to-face teaching, even if it's not a lot!
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Matt14451)
Birmingham City University said lectures will be online for semester 1 which is good but seminars will be on campus with around 30 students per group. Don't see how they can implement even 1m social distancing with that many students. They mentioned social bubbles but can't do that with so many people, we have our own households and other family to see the risk is high if no social distancing. I'm going into third year so think will only have seminars for two modules, hopefully can do them in one day to minimise time on the bus.
Yeah the whole 'social bubble' thing is kind of confusing to me, I'm not sure how it can work when it's more than 15-ish people. Do you know what BCU is doing about Freshers' week?
Matt14451
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Euphoria101)
Yeah the whole 'social bubble' thing is kind of confusing to me, I'm not sure how it can work when it's more than 15-ish people. Do you know what BCU is doing about Freshers' week?
Think bubbles are designed by government for families in different households to merge, not University students while studying. 15 households forming a bubble is a lot.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Matt14451)
Think bubbles are designed by government for families in different households to merge, not University students while studying. 15 households forming a bubble is a lot.
Oh In all fairness I'm not attending uni this year, so I haven't looked to much into it haha
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How do you feel about that all? The whole thing about your grade solely being based on your end-of-year assessment is kind of scary, but I have no idea how music would work normally anyway
I'm pretty happy with it. I think practical work would have been really hard to do online. I've been having my guitar lessons online the past couple months and it's really hard, because part of it is seeing what your teacher does, and them seeing what you do, and that's hard on a computer screen. Plus ensemble work would be a nightmare if someone's connection was bad and stuff.
Music generally is more academic than people think, but I'm going to a conservatoire, it's mostly performance-based (75/120 credits are performance exclusively, and there's practical work across other modules).
At the moment, it is just the music history essay that's 100% end of year, which I'm okay with. If they started adding more stuff that was 100% end of year, I'd be a bit more stressed out and worried.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In person seminars (which I am grateful for as I want to return to campus).

Reopening of sports centre with a booking system.

They also said they want to somehow make societies possible.

I’m also going back for catered halls, which I assume means the bars will open but with social distancing since we get our lunches outside of halls with catered.

Idk how it will all work, like social distance seminars? I suspect most students will talk to their coursemates before class and after anyway
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 1 week ago
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just because I'm nosy, what are your universities/firm choices doing in September?
Edited to clarify: is it purely online? Are lectures online but seminars in person?
University of York

- Confirmed early on that the 2020/21 academic year will start on Monday 28th September 2020 as planned.
-> Teaching will start during that week but unclear if teaching will start in Week 2 for freshers - they move into their uni accommodation w/b Monday 28th September 2020.

- Large lectures will be delivered solely online (they've been pre-recorded).
-> Unclear if smaller lectures will be delivered face-to-face as uni want to deliver as much face-to-face teaching as possible.
- Face-to-face teaching for seminars, tutorials and small groups.

- Library reopened to offer a click and collect service for books and to provide limited study spaces.
-> Uni will look to provide additional study spaces which are socially distanced.

- Freshers will look and feel different from a mixture of face-to-face and online events (details will be communicated to Freshers in advance) organised by colleges and YUSU (Students Union). Freshers will continue to get the usual support from their college team and STYCs (Second and Third Year Contacts) to help them to settle in.

TL;DR Essentially arrangements for teaching and learning seem to be more or less the same as other universities.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
I'm pretty happy with it. I think practical work would have been really hard to do online. I've been having my guitar lessons online the past couple months and it's really hard, because part of it is seeing what your teacher does, and them seeing what you do, and that's hard on a computer screen. Plus ensemble work would be a nightmare if someone's connection was bad and stuff.
Music generally is more academic than people think, but I'm going to a conservatoire, it's mostly performance-based (75/120 credits are performance exclusively, and there's practical work across other modules).
At the moment, it is just the music history essay that's 100% end of year, which I'm okay with. If they started adding more stuff that was 100% end of year, I'd be a bit more stressed out and worried.
Yeah that's true, I can only imagine how hard doing it all online would be when you're doing a practical subject which performance-based modules! Will your more academic modules be mainly online then?

(Original post by SuperHuman98)
In person seminars (which I am grateful for as I want to return to campus).

Reopening of sports centre with a booking system.

They also said they want to somehow make societies possible.

I’m also going back for catered halls, which I assume means the bars will open but with social distancing since we get our lunches outside of halls with catered.

Idk how it will all work, like social distance seminars? I suspect most students will talk to their coursemates before class and after anyway
Oh yeah I wonder how catered halls would work...are you going to have to social distance in the canteen?

It must feel weird not having proper updates, but I guess universities want to consider every option before making decisions!

(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
University of York

- Confirmed early on that the 2020/21 academic year will start on Monday 28th September 2020 as planned.
-> Teaching will start during that week but unclear if teaching will start in Week 2 for freshers - they move into their uni accommodation w/b Monday 28th September 2020.

- Large lectures will be delivered solely online (they've been pre-recorded).
-> Unclear if smaller lectures will be delivered face-to-face as uni want to deliver as much face-to-face teaching as possible.
- Face-to-face teaching for seminars, tutorials and small groups.

- Library reopened to offer a click and collect service for books and to provide limited study spaces.
-> Uni will look to provide additional study spaces which are socially distanced.

- Freshers will look and feel different from a mixture of face-to-face and online events (details will be communicated to Freshers in advance) organised by colleges and YUSU (Students Union). Freshers will continue to get the usual support from their college team and STYCs (Second and Third Year Contacts) to help them to settle in.

TL;DR Essentially arrangements for teaching and learning seem to be more or less the same as other universities.
Nice! The library thing actually sounds quite interesting/cool

I'm interested to know what universities are doing about Freshers. I heard UCL cancelled it already? Could be a rumour! I guess nightclubs won't be open by then though!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nice! The library thing actually sounds quite interesting/cool

I'm interested to know what universities are doing about Freshers. I heard UCL cancelled it already? Could be a rumour! I guess nightclubs won't be open by then though!
Yeah, I completely agree with you that the library gradually reopening is cool and really good news. I know barror1's still in York working on her Laidlaw research and with the library reopening gradually, she can book out a study space to do her research and use the click and collect service for books.

With regards to Freshers, I don't know what other universities are doing. At York, they've just said Freshers will look and feel different and that they will continue to support Freshers and help them to settle in, just like other years. Given that we have a collegiate system, the different colleges and YUSU (Students Union) are busy organising a mixture of face-to-face and online events for Freshers so the 'fun' element of Freshers is still there. But if events are face-to-face then people will have to adhere to social distancing rules - all the Freshers stuff for York will be communicated in advance of the start of the new academic year 2020/21.

At the moment, nightclubs remain closed and I think they'll be closed for at least the rest of this year as the government have confirmed that plans to ease further lockdown restrictions are to be postponed. The risk of the second wave of Covid-19 is still very much real and I really hope that doesn't happen. But I personally think that the government need to be clearer when it comes to communicating changes to lockdown restrictions across England - they shouldn't have left it so late to confirm changes like in Greater Manchester.
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah that's true, I can only imagine how hard doing it all online would be when you're doing a practical subject which performance-based modules! Will your more academic modules be mainly online then?
Yeah. Our music history modules are online the whole year, and applied musicianship is online for the first term. Artist as a citizen is online mostly too (seminars and presentations).
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just because I'm nosy, what are your universities/firm choices doing in September?

Edited to clarify: is it purely online? Are lectures online but seminars in person?
Hello Euphoria101,

Hope that you are doing well.

At Oxford Brookes University we have been told the following:

'At present, all of our September-start courses are due to run with adaptations to fit the current situation. We are aiming to open our campuses as fully as possible in September with measures in place to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.'

'It is unlikely that large, face-to-face lectures will be possible. We have therefore taken the decision that large lectures will be delivered through high-quality, online learning. However, you will be on campus for individual and small group learning with your peer group. On-campus meetings with your academic advisor will also be available and we can reassure you that for all these interactions, appropriate safety arrangements will be in place. Teaching methods are likely to vary from course to course and we are aiming to give you more information soon.'

So it is likely that due to the social distancing guidelines it will be lectures which will be unable to take place in person, however perhaps seminars and workshops may still be running for some. However I feel that things may become clearer in September.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you have any further questions, then please do feel free to ask.

All the best,

Shaf
NE1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My firm have basically said:

- Freshers will consist of a mix of in person and online events
- Hand sanitisation stations will be all around both campuses
- Halls will be open in September with safety measures in place
- There will be online lectures but they’re going to make sure we get access to all of the facilities we need on campus.

In interested to see how this will work for my course as I will be studying media production which is a very practical based course with the only essays being at the end of a module. While I haven’t recieved a timetable yet (since I still need to get my A level results), apparently I’ll be on campus 4 days per week so I’m assuming that they’re trying to keep things as normal as possible as the majority of our work requires us to use industry standard camera and sound equipment for our productions. I’m quite lucky in that I don’t have to do any exams as our grades are based on the content we make and I think we get to choose to do either a traditional dissatation or a final media project
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Yeah, I completely agree with you that the library gradually reopening is cool and really good news. I know barror1's still in York working on her Laidlaw research and with the library reopening gradually, she can book out a study space to do her research and use the click and collect service for books.

With regards to Freshers, I don't know what other universities are doing. At York, they've just said Freshers will look and feel different and that they will continue to support Freshers and help them to settle in, just like other years. Given that we have a collegiate system, the different colleges and YUSU (Students Union) are busy organising a mixture of face-to-face and online events for Freshers so the 'fun' element of Freshers is still there. But if events are face-to-face then people will have to adhere to social distancing rules - all the Freshers stuff for York will be communicated in advance of the start of the new academic year 2020/21.

At the moment, nightclubs remain closed and I think they'll be closed for at least the rest of this year as the government have confirmed that plans to ease further lockdown restrictions are to be postponed. The risk of the second wave of Covid-19 is still very much real and I really hope that doesn't happen. But I personally think that the government need to be clearer when it comes to communicating changes to lockdown restrictions across England - they shouldn't have left it so late to confirm changes like in Greater Manchester.
That sounds good, hopefully that's what most universities will be doing!

I had no idea York had a collegiate system But that's actually interesting, universities that have that will probably do a better job at organising freshers given that the university is already divided up.

I agree, I hope nightclubs don't open...I understand that everyone wants the student experience, but as we're in a pandemic, people have to 'sacrifice' to a certain extent. Though I said the same about pubs, and they opened months ago...

Yeah. Our music history modules are online the whole year, and applied musicianship is online for the first term. Artist as a citizen is online mostly too (seminars and presentations).
Nice
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hello Euphoria101,

Hope that you are doing well.

At Oxford Brookes University we have been told the following:

'At present, all of our September-start courses are due to run with adaptations to fit the current situation. We are aiming to open our campuses as fully as possible in September with measures in place to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.'

'It is unlikely that large, face-to-face lectures will be possible. We have therefore taken the decision that large lectures will be delivered through high-quality, online learning. However, you will be on campus for individual and small group learning with your peer group. On-campus meetings with your academic advisor will also be available and we can reassure you that for all these interactions, appropriate safety arrangements will be in place. Teaching methods are likely to vary from course to course and we are aiming to give you more information soon.'

So it is likely that due to the social distancing guidelines it will be lectures which will be unable to take place in person, however perhaps seminars and workshops may still be running for some. However I feel that things may become clearer in September.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you have any further questions, then please do feel free to ask.

All the best,

Shaf
Hi, yeah it seems that's the standard now which is positive! At least universities are trying to provide face-to-face teaching! What is Brookes doing about freshers?

(Original post by NE1)
My firm have basically said:

- Freshers will consist of a mix of in person and online events
- Hand sanitisation stations will be all around both campuses
- Halls will be open in September with safety measures in place
- There will be online lectures but they’re going to make sure we get access to all of the facilities we need on campus.

In interested to see how this will work for my course as I will be studying media production which is a very practical based course with the only essays being at the end of a module. While I haven’t recieved a timetable yet (since I still need to get my A level results), apparently I’ll be on campus 4 days per week so I’m assuming that they’re trying to keep things as normal as possible as the majority of our work requires us to use industry standard camera and sound equipment for our productions. I’m quite lucky in that I don’t have to do any exams as our grades are based on the content we make and I think we get to choose to do either a traditional dissatation or a final media project
Nice! That's true, I feel like with lab-based and practical-based courses it must be difficult! Campus 4 days a week sounds great, I'm sure you must be feeling relieved!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That sounds good, hopefully that's what most universities will be doing!

I had no idea York had a collegiate system But that's actually interesting, universities that have that will probably do a better job at organising freshers given that the university is already divided up.

I agree, I hope nightclubs don't open...I understand that everyone wants the student experience, but as we're in a pandemic, people have to 'sacrifice' to a certain extent. Though I said the same about pubs, and they opened months ago...
Most universities from what I've seen on TSR seem to be taking a similar approach towards teaching and learning arrangements.

Yes, York does indeed have a collegiate system similar to Oxbridge, Durham and Lancaster. I'm not sure if having a collegiate system actually makes a difference in terms of planning for freshers but I suppose it's definitely a factor to help freshers to settle in. Freshers can say that they're from X college and feel that they're part of a smaller community within a large community if that makes sense.

Completely agree with you on the nightclubs point. With regards to pubs, I think reopening with social distancing enforced is the right way forward and will help pubs gain back some business that they've lost when they were shut. However, on the contract tracing front, the English gov't haven't actually made it mandatory for pubs and other venues like restaurants, etc. to ask the public to leave their contact details, it's only been encouraged and that's deeply concerning when certain venues may not do so. If venues such as pubs properly enforced social distancing by controlling the number of people at any one time and contact tracing were made mandatory, I would feel more comfortable about going to the pub though not something I would be doing often when we're in a pandemic.
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, yeah it seems that's the standard now which is positive! At least universities are trying to provide face-to-face teaching! What is Brookes doing about freshers?

Nice! That's true, I feel like with lab-based and practical-based courses it must be difficult! Campus 4 days a week sounds great, I'm sure you must be feeling relieved!
Hi Euphoria101,

Hope you are doing well!

At the moment nothing has been confirmed, however since large gatherings will not be taking place due to the current climate; it is possible that aspects of freshers may be online. However, nothing has been confirmed by the university just yet.

Hope that helps somewhat.

All the best,

Shaf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (126)
24.09%
Better than expected (113)
21.61%
Worse than expected (284)
54.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed