stephanie222222
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
hi, I'm Stephanie and I'm going into year nine, I know this is way too early to be thinking about GCSES but I want to maximise my opportunity to do well, I have an annoying habit on overstressing about things that I don't understand, I have a lot of friends so I'm only worried about academically doing well, I would love to know any tips and advice to get good grades, (understanding lessons, homework, tests). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks xx
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
you're going into year 9, don't stress as it'll be counterproductive. just make sure you're understanding the content ie. completing h/w as you go along and revise for end of topic tests etc.
Yeah_boi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by stephanie222222)
hi, I'm Stephanie and I'm going into year nine, I know this is way too early to be thinking about GCSES but I want to maximise my opportunity to do well, I have an annoying habit on overstressing about things that I don't understand, I have a lot of friends so I'm only worried about academically doing well, I would love to know any tips and advice to get good grades, (understanding lessons, homework, tests). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks xx
Buy the CGP books / recommended books go through them, for MFL look over what you've done in lesson this. I did not do this so did bad in French. In the beginning of year 9 I had high grades in the sciences because I used the books later I didn't use the books and my grades dropped from 9-7 to 5-6. Make good notes in class. Tbh homework varies from school to school so I am not going to give advice since that could be detrimental to you, ask someone from the year above you. You don't really need to revise a lot if much at all. I mean if you want to you do you.

Don't fall off keep on top of your work.

To deal with teachers don't talk back unless you want a fight it wastes time and you might get a detention just end it with a satire passive aggressive comment. Respect them English teachers are the most bias teachers in my experience try get in their good books.

Aim to get all 9's / 100%.

Keep a good reputation.

These are the tips I would've told myself if I did year 9 again well 2/3rds of it basically had no summer term because of coronavirus.

Best of luck it will probably be easy for you since you're so keen you'll do well!!
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
im going into year 9 too (:
YasirChowdhury
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi,

My top tip is aim high and start early. To be honest, I think in year 9 your main priority is to make sure that you are understanding all the concepts and topics in school. If you don't understand something, ensure you clarify it with your teacher (preferably) or a friend. In year 9, I think its more about laying out the foundations for the next few years. I think you should study but know when to dial it back, as you don't want to overstress yourself to the point where you get bored of studying and give up. This is especially important because you should start focusing a lot more in year 10/11 on academics. At least that worked for me. I hope this helps🙂.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
As long as you pay attention in class, take note of any questions you have as you go along (so that you can ask your teacher if they haven't been answered by the end of the lesson). You may also like to read spend 5 minutes a few hours after the lesson reading over your notes/ the topic quickly again, and with more complex topics, even spending 5 minutes writing out everything that you remember from the lesson, and using your notes to check and correct yourself. Apart from that, do your best on homework tasks, try to keep organised as practicing keeping a planner up to date now will really help in later years, but also prioritise having fun.

You'll do really well, just keep going!
aimes1823
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Just enjoy year 9 and keep on top of your work, you don't want to start doing loads of work to early because you will just tire yourself out. But as long as you keep on top of everything you will be just fine. You will do great because you have already got the mindset, which is the first step
stephanie222222
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by aimes1823)
Just enjoy year 9 and keep on top of your work, you don't want to start doing loads of work to early because you will just tire yourself out. But as long as you keep on top of everything you will be just fine. You will do great because you have already got the mindset, which is the first step
omg ur so kind tyy xxxx
stephanie222222
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
As long as you pay attention in class, take note of any questions you have as you go along (so that you can ask your teacher if they haven't been answered by the end of the lesson). You may also like to read spend 5 minutes a few hours after the lesson reading over your notes/ the topic quickly again, and with more complex topics, even spending 5 minutes writing out everything that you remember from the lesson, and using your notes to check and correct yourself. Apart from that, do your best on homework tasks, try to keep organised as practicing keeping a planner up to date now will really help in later years, but also prioritise having fun.

You'll do really well, just keep going!
thank you sm ill keep that in mind xxxxx
stephanie222222
Rep:
?
(Original post by YasirChowdhury)
Hi,

My top tip is aim high and start early. To be honest, I think in year 9 your main priority is to make sure that you are understanding all the concepts and topics in school. If you don't understand something, ensure you clarify it with your teacher (preferably) or a friend. In year 9, I think its more about laying out the foundations for the next few years. I think you should study but know when to dial it back, as you don't want to overstress yourself to the point where you get bored of studying and give up. This is especially important because you should start focusing a lot more in year 10/11 on academics. At least that worked for me. I hope this helps🙂.
thats really useful tysm !!xx
ShadowKing132
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by stephanie222222)
If you would like some help, feel free to ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (22)
19.3%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (30)
26.32%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (62)
54.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed