Bringing desktop computer with me to halls?

Watch
A1renegade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Bad idea or not? I've got a laptop but it's only powerful enough to handle word processing and youtube videos. I want to be able to play games when I have free time, and I also like to do a bit of music recording/production. I would have to buy another probably £700+ laptop if I didn't take my desktop to be able to do these things.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why not. If it’s covered by insurance that is? Probably cheaper than a laptop anyway.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by A1renegade)
Bad idea or not? I've got a laptop but it's only powerful enough to handle word processing and youtube videos. I want to be able to play games when I have free time, and I also like to do a bit of music recording/production. I would have to buy another probably £700+ laptop if I didn't take my desktop to be able to do these things.
You could take both. As long as you make sure both are covered by contents insurance, you should be fine.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Take the desktop with you.

Although you might want to make sure you have a way of lugging it back home with you for Christmas and the summer. Not a problem if you are going to get a lift or if you have a car of course.
L'anatra.M
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My brother does that and Just leaves it when he's gone. And he brings a cheap laptop when he comes come for the weekend. But if you're leaving for long maybe hide it.
Kppppp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I took my desktop to uni for the first term in yr1, and I had no issues. Then when I came home for Christmas, I decided I didn't need it for the rest of the year, so it was all good. So basically, do it, there's no harm and literally no one steals desktops (def laptops) and if you're locking your window/doors everytime, you'll be fine.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did this and it was fine. If you are going by car there's no issue at all.

Don't bother buying a gaming laptop unless you're going to be gaming on the go, which hardly any people seem to do. (you can do a lot on your phone with emulators/cloud streaming nowadays)

Was covered by insurance policy in halls. (but the only way they could possibly steal it would be through my own negligence ie. leaving door unlocked. I was on the 2nd (3rd) floor so unless they wanted to scale the building they weren't getting in through windows - I think the amount was smaller if entry wasn't forced) The amount would've been able to cover the whole price of the setup [I think you could claim up to like 2k or something] but whether I'd have actually got that much I'm not sure.
Last edited by _gcx; 2 weeks ago
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's completely up to you. I know someone who took her iMac with her as well as her laptop for typing up lecture notes, etc. As for myself, I've managed with my ~£500 laptop and took my charger with me just in case I need to recharge during the day.
A1renegade
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Take the desktop with you.

Although you might want to make sure you have a way of lugging it back home with you for Christmas and the summer. Not a problem if you are going to get a lift or if you have a car of course.
Yeah, currently I don't live too far from the uni I'm going to so my parents will pick me up when I need to go back home. The contents insurance more than covers the cost of my PC + peripherals as well as the laptop I've got so I'll probably end up just taking both. I've also just realised that I most likely cannot afford to buy a laptop that's more than £200 so, yeah, I kinda need to take my desktop.
UniofReading
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey A1renegade,

I think it's a good idea. I know a few friends who brought their desktop computers for gaming etc. Just check when you apply for halls that it is covered under the insurance.

Hope this helps!
From,

Amina 😊 - Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (163)
24.81%
Better than expected (132)
20.09%
Worse than expected (362)
55.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed