The Student Room Group

Is Clueless a good movie?

No kidding, I’ve watched the entirety of Netflix, except this movie. The other day, I decided to give it a shot while writing up some Sociology cue cards (I know it’s not wise to watch something when studying, but the sound actually helps lmao). Anyway, when I saw the first scene of her doing that shiz on the computer where it selects her outfit, I cringed and pressed esc as fast as possible. A few days later, I gave it another chance, but the classroom scene was just as bad. Maybe it’s because it’s an oldish movie and I’ve never been a fan of films set in schools anyway because they’re all the same, but is it actually a good movie?
Absolute banger
I dislike that the main characters in this movie think being a virgin is the worst thing ever and are desperate to have sex for the first time, which they view as a right of passage. I was left thinking, "Seriously, at least one of those girls is going to end up a teen mother..."
Though I'm pretty sure this film was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, it still isn't a good influence on young girls (or boys) and I don't recommend it.
Original post by TSR Professor
I dislike that the main characters in this movie think being a virgin is the worst thing ever and are desperate to have sex for the first time, which they view as a right of passage. I was left thinking, "Seriously, at least one of those girls is going to end up a teen mother..."
Though I'm pretty sure this film was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, it still isn't a good influence on young girls (or boys) and I don't recommend it.

I have to say I love clueless but after reading this, you’re absolutely right... I never even considered that... 🤯 it’s probably because I watched it when I was so young though lol
Reply 4
Clueless - Jane Austen's Emma plus Shakespearean allusions, for deliberate effect
10 Things I Hate About You - Shakespeare's The Taming Of The Shrew
Cruel Intentions - a rework of Dangerous Liaisons
She's All That - My Fair Lady

A deliberate irony is that what adults stereotype as 'modern teenagers' are, in fact, complex human beings time memorial. Another irony is that the 'new country' of America is, in many ways, more fond of old Europe styles of social strata than Europe itself now claims to be. For every liberal in America, there's a conservative. Europe, by contrast, tries to 'liberalise' everyone with relatively generous holiday entitlement, welfare even for high earners, big public sector, cruelly and incorrectly equating conservatism with defensiveness of meagre intellectual clout.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Picnic1
Clueless - Jane Austen's Emma plus Shakespearean allusions, for deliberate effect
10 Things I Hate About You - Shakespeare's The Taming Of The Shrew
Cruel Intentions - a rework of Dangerous Liaisons
She's All That - My Fair Lady

I knew about clueless being based on Emma but I had no idea about the rest!!!!!! I see it now though woww
Are you kidding me? It's a classic. When 90210 was popular in the early 90s, then came Clueless and almost no one cared about 90210.
One of my best friends loves clueless and it's got young Paul rudd In so...
i haven't a clue :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending