Should I do 3 languages for GCSE (I already understand one)

Watch
Kayla134
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve picked 3 language GCSE’s - French, Latin and Spanish but I understand Spanish and can read in it as I’m of Latin American Heritage. I asked my french teacher if she thought I should and she said I should go for it. Any advice ?
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why not, if you want to? Ultimately if you can do the work, there are people who take 15 GCSEs etc and do fine.

What are you potentially worried about if you take all 3? Would it prevent you taking any other subjects (say triple science)?
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think this is more of an issue at A level, because they are the uni entry exam and a qualification held by a native speaker will have less merit. So if you want to and it’s not using a slot that could be used for something more relevant for your future career aspirations then why not. Although won’t it be a bit dull, GCSE languages are a pretty basic standard so you’re unlikely to have any challenge.
Kayla134
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
Why not, if you want to? Ultimately if you can do the work, there are people who take 15 GCSEs etc and do fine.

What are you potentially worried about if you take all 3? Would it prevent you taking any other subjects (say triple science)?
Hi yes, it would prevent me from taking say triple science but I chose Art before not knowing the lockdown was going to happen so I had to make a decision on what would suit me best (equipment, paint etc) and I chose Spanish instead
Kayla134
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zarek)
I think this is more of an issue at A level, because they are the uni entry exam and a qualification held by a native speaker will have less merit. So if you want to and it’s not using a slot that could be used for something more relevant for your future career aspirations then why not. Although won’t it be a bit dull, GCSE languages are a pretty basic standard so you’re unlikely to have any challenge.
Yeah I did think about this, being my timetable will be filled with 3 languages (one of which is after school) but I was initially planning on learning Spanish outside of school anyway so it’s almost a bonus for me. With triple science I already spoke to me science teacher and he explained how triple science was a bit full on if I’m not crazy about science and experiments etc so tbh I’m better of getting a good grade in Spanish rather than getting a not so good one in triple science in order to please people.
Last edited by Kayla134; 1 week ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kayla134)
Hi yes, it would prevent me from taking say triple science but I chose Art before not knowing the lockdown was going to happen so I had to make a decision on what would suit me best (equipment, paint etc) and I chose Spanish instead
If you’re happy with your choices (so you’re probably planning on going down a more humanities route, say) then go for it
Kayla134
Rep:
?
If you’re happy with your choices (so you’re probably planning on going down a more humanities route, say) then go for it
Thanks 😊 I was thinking about this whole route thing but apparently you can still be let’s say a doctor with double science. It may just be harder than people who did triple 🤷🏽
BarnabyK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I take 4 languages and manage it just fine. Go for it!
Kayla134
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by BarnabyK)
I take 4 languages and manage it just fine. Go for it!
Cool, how many gcses spare you planning on taking in total ?
BarnabyK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Cool, how many gcses spare you planning on taking in total ?
12 gcses, in addition to a HPQ
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I wish I had the opportunity to take more than two foreign languages! I took French because I already spoke it, and then also Spanish because I really liked it.

I’d say go for it! I think you’ll find you’ll have a good grounding for Latin and French seeing as you already speak Spanish.
Kayla134
Rep:
?
(Original post by itscourtchicks)
I wish I had the opportunity to take more than two foreign languages! I took French because I already spoke it, and then also Spanish because I really liked it.

I’d say go for it! I think you’ll find you’ll have a good grounding for Latin and French seeing as you already speak Spanish.
Kayla134
Rep:
?
(Original post by BarnabyK)
12 gcses, in addition to a HPQ
Cool, that’s quite a lot though !
Dell PC
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
you can do it if you B&Q it
sakura_23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’m taking German, Latin and Greek, and took Chinese GCSE 4 years ago. Again, taking a GCSE that is considered native to you is not as impressive, but I did too, albeit early. What other subjects are you taking? I’m taking 12 including my three languages and am doing triple science, is there a limitation on how many you can do?
Kayla134
Rep:
?
(Original post by sakura_23)
I’m taking German, Latin and Greek, and took Chinese GCSE 4 years ago. Again, taking a GCSE that is considered native to you is not as impressive, but I did too, albeit early. What other subjects are you taking? I’m taking 12 including my three languages and am doing triple science, is there a limitation on how many you can do?
Hi that’s interesting. I’m taking 11 but one of them is religious studies which I’ll be sitting this year in advance. The other subjects are history, combined science, maths, music then English lit and Lang. I don’t think there’s a limitation to how many I can take but I’m guessing the average person takes 10 GCSES. I was going to take triple science but I just chose Spanish instead.
Last edited by Kayla134; 6 days ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thanks 😊 I was thinking about this whole route thing but apparently you can still be let’s say a doctor with double science. It may just be harder than people who did triple 🤷🏽
Medicine with double science is 100% fine (I think it rules out like 1 or 2 Scottish unis lol - and I made a big spreadsheet on this so I would know!) Three languages might honestly be more useful for most things
Kayla134
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Medicine with double science is 100% fine (I think it rules out like 1 or 2 Scottish unis lol - and I made a big spreadsheet on this so I would know!) Three languages might honestly be more useful for most things
Cool that’s really useful because I was worrying it would be impossible for me to be a paediatric doctor with only double science. 😀
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Cool that’s really useful because I was worrying it would be impossible for me to be a paediatric doctor with only double science. 😀
Not at all, have a look here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...e-requirements. No negative impact at all, really.

You will probably have to take at least two sciences to A level for medicine, though, so worth having a think if you'd rather do triple to feel better prepared for A level?
rxyaltyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
didnt know you could do 3 languages :eek:
where are you from? just curious
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (130)
37.25%
Take autumn exams (107)
30.66%
Look for a job (11)
3.15%
Consider an apprenticeship (13)
3.72%
Take a year out (66)
18.91%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
6.3%

Watched Threads