Marta W
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,
is there anyone who will be applying to study medicine in the Netherlands and knows how the application system works (what are the steps & deadlines, are there interviews etc.)? I'm particularly interested in Maastricht University, University of Groningen and University of Amsterdam and I'm looking for a medicine course that will be taught partially in English (I'm an EU non-Dutch student). I would also like to know how to fulfill grades-related entry requirements. I know that to study medicine applicants should take biology, chemistry, maths and physics at school, however, I was not able to continue studying physics in high school. Is there an extra entry exam for such students? If there are any IB students offering advice in this matter, it would be great (as I am taking the IB myself), although I'll appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!
Catsarepurrfect
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Honestly, all you have to do is to read about Medicine bachelor at the uni website. They have grade entry requirements for tons of other qualifications, including IB. Deadlines are also on the websites of the programme and they are easy to find. Additional admission requirements and selection procedure will also be on the websites.
Here you can find grade requirements for Groningen:
https://www.rug.nl/education/bachelo...nt_9_7423_8351
Amsterdam: doesn't have English medicine
Maastricht:
https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/...e/requirements
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Marta W)
Hi,
is there anyone who will be applying to study medicine in the Netherlands and knows how the application system works (what are the steps & deadlines, are there interviews etc.)? I'm particularly interested in Maastricht University, University of Groningen and University of Amsterdam and I'm looking for a medicine course that will be taught partially in English (I'm an EU non-Dutch student). I would also like to know how to fulfill grades-related entry requirements. I know that to study medicine applicants should take biology, chemistry, maths and physics at school, however, I was not able to continue studying physics in high school. Is there an extra entry exam for such students? If there are any IB students offering advice in this matter, it would be great (as I am taking the IB myself), although I'll appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!
hey! I was considering applying to Netherlands, but from what I've learned so far, you can study only 3 first years in English (at only 2 unis I think) and then the 3 clinical ones have to be completed in Dutch. if that isn't the case from what you know, let me know please as I would be keen on applying as well.
calyn05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey, I hope you’re well. From what I’ve read online, the 3 years of the bachelors degree is in English. You have to pass a Dutch D1 examination to show you have some proficiency in speaking Dutch, in order to, move onto the Master’s degree. However, don’t be despaired by that fact. You’ll be living and spending time fully immersed in the country. If you make time over the 3 years of undergraduate studies, you should be able to move onto the Master’s in Dutch. 😃
susana02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marta W)
Hi,
Hi! I will be applying also. They will probably request that you Take a physics exam. The whole process is unclear to me too. They also require that you go there and take some exams.
Elena_Lanstova
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VanillaCream)
hey! I was considering applying to Netherlands, but from what I've learned so far, you can study only 3 first years in English (at only 2 unis I think) and then the 3 clinical ones have to be completed in Dutch. if that isn't the case from what you know, let me know please as I would be keen on applying as well.
Yes this is the case. They also expect a certain level of Dutch proficiency before you start your master. For Groningen, they have a series of criteria which is at least C1 level + Medical Dutch course (organized by the faculty) + Medical Dutch C1 assessment . From this year Dutch classes have been somewhat integrated into schedule for all years and all courses up to B1 are completely funded by the Uni. (there are some organised for all the students in the university and then there are the ones organized by the medical faculty (from what I know you have to pay if you fail one of these))
oana1389
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey , yeah, i will apply too this year for Medicine in Groningen. the thing is they want examinations for Biology, Chemistry , Physics and Math. They are specific on the website , i can give you a link if you want. They don’t really care about the grades( only that you pass, at least for A-Levels thats what they say, i don’t know about other exams but the grade requirements is in that table on the website)
The process is made up of 2 parts: the admission procedure and the selection procedure. The admission procedure is when you send out your documents to them so they check whether your exams and previous education are enough for them and then you will receive their response on whether you are accepted or not or if you have deficiencies in any subjects. The selection procedure will be held in February and is in Groningen, they will send out materials about one month prior which are a material to study and some assignments to do, which you will bring to the selection day. On the selection day you will have 4 tests : 2 cognitive ( 1 of them will be with the material that you received and the other one you will work it out on the spot, you cannot prepare in advance for it) , 2 noncognitive ( psychological tests, also you cannot prepare for these either)
aaaand mid-April you receive your ranking , and need to accept your place if you are offered a place and they give you until late August time to give them the results to your exams so they know you fulfilled the conditions of your entry
alliyahsa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oana1389)
hey , yeah, i will apply too this year for Medicine in Groningen. the thing is they want examinations for Biology, Chemistry , Physics and Math. They are specific on the website , i can give you a link if you want. They don’t really care about the grades( only that you pass, at least for A-Levels thats what they say, i don’t know about other exams but the grade requirements is in that table on the website)
The process is made up of 2 parts: the admission procedure and the selection procedure. The admission procedure is when you send out your documents to them so they check whether your exams and previous education are enough for them and then you will receive their response on whether you are accepted or not or if you have deficiencies in any subjects. The selection procedure will be held in February and is in Groningen, they will send out materials about one month prior which are a material to study and some assignments to do, which you will bring to the selection day. On the selection day you will have 4 tests : 2 cognitive ( 1 of them will be with the material that you received and the other one you will work it out on the spot, you cannot prepare in advance for it) , 2 noncognitive ( psychological tests, also you cannot prepare for these either)
aaaand mid-April you receive your ranking , and need to accept your place if you are offered a place and they give you until late August time to give them the results to your exams so they know you fulfilled the conditions of your entry
Hi! I’m applying to medicine in Groningen and i just finished secondary school in Portugal. For what i’ve read, for one of the admission requirements we have to fill in a checklist of course descriptions for maths/physics/biology and chemistry. I asked my school for the course descriptions but the documents only have the topics taught in class and they say that’s not enough. I’m not quite understanding how i should do it. Can someone help me? Thank you!
Kat200
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
alliyahsa Did you have all the required subjects until final year of school?
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alliyahsa)
Hi! I’m applying to medicine in Groningen and i just finished secondary school in Portugal. For what i’ve read, for one of the admission requirements we have to fill in a checklist of course descriptions for maths/physics/biology and chemistry. I asked my school for the course descriptions but the documents only have the topics taught in class and they say that’s not enough. I’m not quite understanding how i should do it. Can someone help me? Thank you!
do you have like a syllabus/specification/curriculum outline of your subjects?
like e.g. for biology: topic 1: cell biology and then some statements about what you have to understand and know, e.g. knnow the differences between eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells and be able to draw them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads