clearing/deferred entry/finance help needed

Watch
shirleycarter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
so i have a deferred entry offer as my firm, and an unconditional for this year as my insurance, but as of right now i have no student finance. i would like to go to uni this year rather than next and have seen that both my unis have places in clearing, so the courses aren't full up yet. basically, im not entirely sure what my next move should be and was wondering if anyone had any advice? i know results day is only two weeks away, but im reluctant to as i don't have finance or accommodation and know those two things would need to be sorted quite urgently.

thanks
Last edited by shirleycarter; 2 months ago
Calliso
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My advice: start making calls! Urgently!

Phone up your university's undergraduate admissions and explain to them that you'd like to switch from deferred to a 2020 placement, and it doesn't seem to me like it would be a huge issue, especially if there are places in clearing.

The finance will be a larger struggle, since you aren't guaranteed anything if you apply past the deadline. But you can still apply! In fact, you'll probably still get the loan, but just not at the time as those who applied earlier. Here's what the student finance website has to say about missed deadlines:

"If you miss the summer deadline, apply as soon as possible afterwards. The longer you leave it, the later you'll get your money. If you're quick, you might still be paid on time. ... If your loan doesn't arrive on time, it's all the more important that you get the rest of your finances in order."

So, in conclusion, start making calls and applying for finance ASAP. There is still a good chance that you'll be able to begin your undergraduate studies for 2020! Hope this helps!
shirleycarter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Calliso)
My advice: start making calls! Urgently!

Phone up your university's undergraduate admissions and explain to them that you'd like to switch from deferred to a 2020 placement, and it doesn't seem to me like it would be a huge issue, especially if there are places in clearing.

The finance will be a larger struggle, since you aren't guaranteed anything if you apply past the deadline. But you can still apply! In fact, you'll probably still get the loan, but just not at the time as those who applied earlier. Here's what the student finance website has to say about missed deadlines:

"If you miss the summer deadline, apply as soon as possible afterwards. The longer you leave it, the later you'll get your money. If you're quick, you might still be paid on time. ... If your loan doesn't arrive on time, it's all the more important that you get the rest of your finances in order."

So, in conclusion, start making calls and applying for finance ASAP. There is still a good chance that you'll be able to begin your undergraduate studies for 2020! Hope this helps!
Thank you so much, this is a huge help. Would you recommend putting a deposit down on accommodation if I had the opportunity now, or wait for results day?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.71%
I'm not sure (16)
3.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (147)
33.79%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.61%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46.21%

Watched Threads