mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Saw in another thread people asking about results day plans & thought perhaps it would be interesting for those of us who have been through the process to share what its like from different prospectives

Heres was my day from August 2014.
I woke up at like half 6. Once track opened I was horrified, I got rejected. I really had my heart set on this particular uni and it was a very hard pill to swallow, more then that I'd just spent 6 months telling all my family & friends I was going to this uni & feeling humiliated was an understatement.

At 9am I arrived at school, opened my results knowing they weren't what I needed. I was already fairly disappointed and the results didn't make me feel any better i had flopped in 1 of my 3 subjects. To be honest my results actually weren't as bad as i was expecting after finding out I was rejected, but needless to say I didn't care.

After a long couple hours in self pity and ringing up my firm uni, I eventually accepted I was going to my insurance.

At about 3pm I decided I had to face the world picked up my phone and went to the pub. I sat around drinking pints & feigning a smile watching everyone else happy whilst I felt humiliated.

I spent the next 3 years of my life at my insurance uni, and they were 3 of the best years of my life. I loved it, made some great friends got a year in industry and career opportunities with globally respected companies and it set me on course & opened the doors for what im doing today.

Basically what was one of the worst days ending up being one of the best things possible. I left with a chip on my shoulder & im very happy how life has gone academically ever since.

So whatever happens, it doesn't define you. If you have the work ethic you can do what you want regardless. Hopefully some people have some more fun results day stories :ike:

Spoiler:
Show

For what its worth my firm choice is a great uni and every year i see lots of TSRers apply. But them rejecting me definitely played a part in me not applying their for my masters however petty that is
Last edited by mnot; 1 week ago
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m quite interested to hear other’s stories.
I think I’m finally at peace with the fact that if I don’t get into medicine then I have some other great opportunities with my insurance course.
mnot
Rep:
?
(Original post by itscourtchicks)
I’m quite interested to hear other’s stories.
I think I’m finally at peace with the fact that if I don’t get into medicine then I have some other great opportunities with my insurance course.
Best of luck this year, we need more medics!
I've learnt whatever happens if your motivated results day is just one day and you'll move on to bigger and better things regardless.
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So my story is a little complicated, I will try and explain it as well as I can!

I originally applied to Cardiff, Aberystwyth, Swansea and Birmingham for politics related subjects, and firmed Cardiff and insured Aberystwyth. I emailed them later in the year asking to change to Sociology related subjects, which they both agreed to.

This is, perhaps, the part I regret if I had to choose. I let my mother's influence and my own low self-esteem get in the way. Before results day, I emailed them both to ask them to reject me so I could apply to Bournemouth for Advertising. On Results Day 2016, Track opened and... Aberystwyth had accepted me. I had to phone them to ask them to reject me, and I still swear my heart broke a little. I loved that place, the town felt like home when I'd visited. At the time, I had friends there too. I ended up in Clearing with BBB in Sociology, Psychology and Film Studies and with a place at Bournemouth for Advertising. I was predicted A*AB, realistically thought I'd get ABB so it was a little disappointing but I was okay with it.

I know this is off-topic but my story does not end there. A year later I was in a town I loved but studying a subject I hated. I applied through Bournemouth's internal system to start again doing... Sociology and Criminology. Three years later I am now heading off to study an MA in Nottingham in... their Politics and International Relations department. I feel like I have truly gone around in a circle but at the same time... apart from Aberystwyth I regret nothing.

Main lesson to learn: never act rashly
Last edited by emiloujess; 1 week ago
Physicsqueen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve not had A-level results yet (ahh less than 2 weeks now!) but here’s my GCSE results day story.

I couldn’t sleep as I was really nervous, I needed a 6 in physics and chemistry and a 7 in maths to do my chosen A-level courses. At about 7:30 ish I decided to get ready (I don’t know why but I really dressed up for results day and did make up and everything). My mum takes me to school and we talk about what’s on the radio to distract me.

I sign in at my school and walk down the long corridor to the gym where I collect my results. A teacher hands me an envelope and I stand outside the gym with a few of my teachers.

I take a deep breath and open my results.

I was over the moon, I had gotten the grades I needed for sixth form and had surprised myself in some other subjects.

I then contacted my sixth form and officially enrolled, then had some photos with a few of my friends.

I then went back to the car, and I sat down I just cried for about 10 mins.

I hope this year is as happy, but I didn’t do so well in my mocks so I doubt it :lol:

I wish everyone a good results day for whoever has one coming up.
MajorFader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Where do I start...

So it was 2018, my 18th birthday...you can already sense the expectation by reading that.

Woke up, logged into track and saw “your clearing number is: 01xxxx”.

At that point did I cry? No, at least not yet. I hyperventilated slightly and thought there is no point drooping around.

Headed off to college to pick up my results and I opened them to really average grades (I think it was BBC or BCC shows that A levels aren’t the be all end all haha). At that point I think I had an episode of depersonalisation where nothing felt real. I got home and pretty much cried the whole day (it wasn’t really that deep looking back but it felt like it was at the time). It was my 18th Birthday and it was awful! If anyone is reading this in the future, please do not do that all! I look back up to this day when I ruminate and it bothers me a lot.

...story gets better though trust me lol

So, I am a problem solver and I thought to my self “stop crying, what am I going to do next?”

Took a gap year, resat 2 of my subjects, got a part time job and undertook some volunteering; got into my firm last year (Really close to that A* in maths arghhh).

Look after yourself in exam season, work throughout the year during A levels and surround yourself with people who has a high work ethic.

Don’t be scared to take a gap year, it really improved my social skills and gave me a chance to realise that I was someone who was more numerical and therefore confirmed to me that my chosen degree was right for me.
Neilc1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Physicsqueen)
I’ve not had A-level results yet (ahh less than 2 weeks now!) but here’s my GCSE results day story.

I couldn’t sleep as I was really nervous, I needed a 6 in physics and chemistry and a 7 in maths to do my chosen A-level courses. At about 7:30 ish I decided to get ready (I don’t know why but I really dressed up for results day and did make up and everything). My mum takes me to school and we talk about what’s on the radio to distract me.

I sign in at my school and walk down the long corridor to the gym where I collect my results. A teacher hands me an envelope and I stand outside the gym with a few of my teachers.

I take a deep breath and open my results.

I was over the moon, I had gotten the grades I needed for sixth form and had surprised myself in some other subjects.

I then contacted my sixth form and officially enrolled, then had some photos with a few of my friends.

I then went back to the car, and I sat down I just cried for about 10 mins.

I hope this year is as happy, but I didn’t do so well in my mocks so I doubt it :lol:

I wish everyone a good results day for whoever has one coming up.
how did yo find a level physics? as i am in year 11 and cant choose between physics and geography
thanks
Neilc1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
Where do I start...

So it was 2018, my 18th birthday...you can already sense the expectation by reading that.

Woke up, logged into track and saw “your clearing number is: 01xxxx”.

At that point did I cry? No, at least not yet. I hyperventilated slightly and thought there is no point drooping around.

Headed off to college to pick up my results and I opened them to really average grades (I think it was BBC or BCC shows that A levels aren’t the be all end all haha). At that point I think I had an episode of depersonalisation where nothing felt real. I got home and pretty much cried the whole day (it wasn’t really that deep looking back but it felt like it was at the time). It was my 18th Birthday and it was awful! If anyone is reading this in the future, please do not do that all! I look back up to this day when I ruminate and it bothers me a lot.

...story gets better though trust me lol

So, I am a problem solver and I thought to my self “stop crying, what am I going to do next?”

Took a gap year, resat 2 of my subjects, got a part time job and undertook some volunteering; got into my firm last year (Really close to that A* in maths arghhh).

Look after yourself in exam season, work throughout the year during A levels and surround yourself with people who has a high work ethic.

Don’t be scared to take a gap year, it really improved my social skills and gave me a chance to realise that I was someone who was more numerical and therefore confirmed to me that my chosen degree was right for me.
how did you find a level math. What would be your best guidance so i can do as well as possible.
Thanks
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I cared so little that I was on holiday at the time. My uncle got my results, they were pretty much what I expected (crap) but I narrowly missed out on my intended course (didn't really care about the course, but was slightly annoyed by this one result) so took the insurance (again, didn't really care)

I (surprise surprise) didn't care about the course, left after a few weeks and didn't go back to education for six years or so. This time I did care, and stuck out a course I wanted to do in a place I wanted to do it (thanks, widening participation!) and spent 8 years doing BA, MA, PhD

So even if your results are shite, do not give up. There is always a way, just might take longer
Halfeti Rose
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok! So here's my story!

I completed my A levels last year and the result day was the usual one like for the past 2 years (So didn't expect a lot :lol: ) I managed to get average grades BBC in Physics, Biology and Chemistry (did Maths and English too but that doesn't matter) I didn't expect them but at the same time I wasn't surprised! Somewhere within me I felt hurt but I can't change anything so accepted it.

I have not gone too far in life like many others here! I am just entering uni this year and as usual I didn't realize I will be going for the course which I chose until my results came up. But so far it seems worth it as I did accomplish a half of my dream. When my results came up I thought my chances of going abroad to do my higher studies was impossible but later I realized nothing is impossible.

So here is my piece of advice. No matter whatever result you get don't lose hope! After all hope is all that keeps us moving
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
GCSE results day 2013 - Walked in, got my results, looked at them, went ‘cool’, left school and went home, then booked a plane ticket for London to Manchester for the following day for 3 days cause it was cheaper than taking the train. Only did it cause I just got my results and had nothing better to do for the rest of my holidays so decided to go to Manchester to meet relatives and have a good time out :lol:
JockstrapAttack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
August 2017 - got my results in the early morning, went home and slept until 6pm. Went to a friend's house party (mostly Year 11s who just picked up their results) and ended up getting crazy drunk. Woke up the next morning with two naked guys in my bed. Overall, a very successful results day.
mnot
Rep:
?
Cheers for sharing guys. Its great to see whatever happens results day is never the end of the story, its everyone progressing to the next chapter!
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Awake from about 5am, refreshing track at least every 2 seconds! Updated around 6am and found out I had got into UCL

Woke my mum up and we both did a results day dance!

Called up my best friend who lives down the road, she got in to her firm too and she drove us to school

Some very mournful and sad looking students/friends which made it hard not to celebrate

Opened my results and swore out loud, again wishing to do the 'results day jump' but didn't want to rub it in the faces of my peers

Headteacher asked me to take a photo with him for the school website/local newspaper

That's it really!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
August 2013
I woke up knowing I probably didn't have what I needed so wanted to get my results before checking track. I d had a rough year and my grandad had to be resucitated the night before 3 of my exams so I knew I couldn't have passed those ones.
Unfortunately, I was right and had BEE so I went to go get breakfast and spent time with a friend for a couple of hours before going home to check track and decide what to do, unexpectedly my track hadn't change but I had an email from my firm saying we ve got places on this course that if you do for a year would get you into nursing.

So I gave them a call and spoke to the course leader and they offered me a place and then my track was changed to an unconditional course change within an a couple of hours.

Because I didn't end up doing nursing that year, I had much more free time so I joined a society where I met my now husband and seven years later I didn't end up in nursing after realising it wasn't for me after all but I m married, have a house in an area we love and I m having my first child in October. So by my results going badly wrong, I actually got everything I wanted in life at the time I planned to.
Halfeti Rose
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
August 2013
I woke up knowing I probably didn't have what I needed so wanted to get my results before checking track. I d had a rough year and my grandad had to be resucitated the night before 3 of my exams so I knew I couldn't have passed those ones.
Unfortunately, I was right and had BEE so I went to go get breakfast and spent time with a friend for a couple of hours before going home to check track and decide what to do, unexpectedly my track hadn't change but I had an email from my firm saying we ve got places on this course that if you do for a year would get you into nursing.

So I gave them a call and spoke to the course leader and they offered me a place and then my track was changed to an unconditional course change within an a couple of hours.

Because I didn't end up doing nursing that year, I had much more free time so I joined a society where I met my now husband and seven years later I didn't end up in nursing after realising it wasn't for me after all but I m married, have a house in an area we love and I m having my first child in October. So by my results going badly wrong, I actually got everything I wanted in life at the time I planned to.
This is so beautiful!
Reminds me that 'Everything happens for a reason'.
Congrats
Physicsqueen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Neilc1234)
how did yo find a level physics? as i am in year 11 and cant choose between physics and geography
thanks
I loved A-level physics. I’d say if you enjoy maths (it is a bit more mathematical than GCSE, though you can do most if not all of the maths without A-level maths).

Which subject do you enjoy more? And also what would you like to do after A-levels? Some (not all though) universities require two science A-levels to study science at university level so that may be something to consider, the same might be true for humanities subjects but I don’t know much about entry requirements for them.

I hope this helps
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A-Level Results Day 2019
Reflecting back on the exams, I remember finding all 3 sociology papers to be quite nice and I think when my sociology teacher saw my reaction as I walked into her classroom, she knew we probably did well and will be fine - she was right! History exam was mixed (found Unit 3 very hard) and economics exams were alright though some aspects were tricky.

In terms of preparing for A-Level Results Day, I was worried about my grades in history and economics in particular because, for the former, I felt I didn't perform as well as I liked in all the papers and for the latter, well it was a subject I've found difficult over the 2 years but gave it my all. However, I did prepare for all eventualities so when it came to the big day, I wasn't feeling too worried.

As for results day itself, I found out that I got into my insurance (Essex Uni) for BA History and Politics via an email before UCAS Track opened which isn't ideal but that's just life. At the point, I felt relieved that I got into uni but at the same time, I knew straight away that I didn't perform as well as I would like to given I was predicted ABB - the A for history.

When I collected my results, I opened them with my best friend again in the school canteen and I had both a positive and slightly negative shock in my face. The positive? I scrapped a B in economics which was the best thing ever and my former economics teacher was so happy for me. The slight negative? I got a C in history which I honestly didn't expect to happen and I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others but my classmates also got similar grades across the board and it's evidently clear that the papers were tough that year. Overall, I got BBC with the other B in sociology which I was happy with but I thought I could've just scrapped an A - oh well.

Then I stayed in school for a bit to call some unis via Clearing as I didn't want to go to Essex Uni nor do I want to study BA History and Politics anymore and I was given a verbal offer for BA Social and Political Sciences at York (where I'm studying now) which was great. All I had to do was to decline my place for Essex Uni which would send me straight to Clearing. But I can add a clearing choice straight away which I think I did the day after.

To celebrate, I actually dashed home very quickly to put away the grades document as I didn't want to lose them and hastily went back out to meet a few mates in Central London for a cheeky Nandos and just to casually walk about the place. Later in the evening, I was on the BBC London Radio chatting to Eddie Nestor about my results which didn't last very long since he was running behind schedule and we have to cut short for the local news and traffic update. :rolleyes:

GCSE Results Day 2017
The night before GCSE Results Day, I recall being quite anxious and worried about what my results would be like as I didn't quite well in my last mocks before GCSE but I did give it my all in the exams.

On the day itself, I opened my results with my best friend at the back of the school canteen and I was very pleased (and rather relieved) that I actually did well, especially in English and science. I was a bit annoyed I didn't get an A in history and French but still happy with what I got. My best friend also did quite well and we were pleased with each other.

After GCSE Results Day, I didn't do much to celebrate it which I rather regret but my family did treat me to a Dim Sum lunch in Central London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (174)
38.07%
Take autumn exams (143)
31.29%
Look for a job (16)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.6%
Take a year out (76)
16.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise