Question about Transferring Universities

Watch
smallgayhorse
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all, I've been having some trouble recently trying to work out how to go about changing unis and course, so I thought I'd ask here.

I want to change courses (animation to archaeology) but I am one A-Level grade short of the new course, and I have done fairly poorly in this first year of uni (if I stay on with animation, I will be required to retake first year). This is due to my mental health having been extremely poor (anxiety and severe depression, which I did not receive adequate treatment for), and additionally towards the end of this year I was diagnosed with autism and ADHD (which I also did not receive treatment/support for during the academic year). This is why I did so poorly. I'm disappointed in myself and I wish something could have been done earlier to save all this trouble, but this is just what I have to work with now.

Are these personal reasons something I should mention to the university I'm applying to, or should I just ignore it and leave things without an explanation? Also, is there any point even applying for another course given that I've done so badly this year, i.e. is it better to stick it out with animation?

Thank you for reading, and apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
Calliso
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello!

It sounds to me like you have a good case for Extentuating Circumstances. This is a form you can fill out when applying for universities to explain why your grades aren't up to the standard that you're capable of/were expecting. An unexpected diagnosis seems to me like something incredibly noteworthy in an application (though I'm certainly no expert).

With regards to switching courses, it's really up to the university if they want to take the chance on such a drastic switch. I changed my course from English to Classics incredibly easily, but they're both humanities subjects and are (fairly) similar, so my application hardly needed to be changed at all. I also did this before beginning my course, which definitely helped.

But to answer your main question, you should absolutely mention your issues in your application - it can only do you good to explain the reasons for your academic struggles this year.

Best of luck to you in the future!
smallgayhorse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Calliso)
Hello!

It sounds to me like you have a good case for Extentuating Circumstances. This is a form you can fill out when applying for universities to explain why your grades aren't up to the standard that you're capable of/were expecting. An unexpected diagnosis seems to me like something incredibly noteworthy in an application (though I'm certainly no expert).

With regards to switching courses, it's really up to the university if they want to take the chance on such a drastic switch. I changed my course from English to Classics incredibly easily, but they're both humanities subjects and are (fairly) similar, so my application hardly needed to be changed at all. I also did this before beginning my course, which definitely helped.

But to answer your main question, you should absolutely mention your issues in your application - it can only do you good to explain the reasons for your academic struggles this year.

Best of luck to you in the future!
Thank you for the reply! That helps a lot, I really appreciate it. Is the Extenuating Circumstances form on UCAS or something that you do via the university?
Calliso
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by smallgayhorse)
Thank you for the reply! That helps a lot, I really appreciate it. Is the Extenuating Circumstances form on UCAS or something that you do via the university?
Different universities have different procedures, so you'd have to check on each individual website for how to go about it. Your first order of business is to make sure that you definitely qualify for Extenuating Circumstances, and the university will provide you with a list of who is/isn't able to submit the form.
smallgayhorse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Calliso)
Different universities have different procedures, so you'd have to check on each individual website for how to go about it. Your first order of business is to make sure that you definitely qualify for Extenuating Circumstances, and the university will provide you with a list of who is/isn't able to submit the form.
Ahh ok, that makes sense. Thanks again for the help!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all, I've been having some trouble recently trying to work out how to go about changing unis and course, so I thought I'd ask here.

I want to change courses (animation to archaeology) but I am one A-Level grade short of the new course, and I have done fairly poorly in this first year of uni (if I stay on with animation, I will be required to retake first year). This is due to my mental health having been extremely poor (anxiety and severe depression, which I did not receive adequate treatment for), and additionally towards the end of this year I was diagnosed with autism and ADHD (which I also did not receive treatment/support for during the academic year). This is why I did so poorly. I'm disappointed in myself and I wish something could have been done earlier to save all this trouble, but this is just what I have to work with now.

Are these personal reasons something I should mention to the university I'm applying to, or should I just ignore it and leave things without an explanation? Also, is there any point even applying for another course given that I've done so badly this year, i.e. is it better to stick it out with animation?

Thank you for reading, and apologies if this is in the wrong forum..
If you are applying to a different uni then your diagnosis of autism and ADHD is something to be mentioned on the UCAS form so the new uni are aware and can take it into account. As it's a completely different course they will look mainly at your A level grades in deciding whether to make you an offer or not, and being one A level grade short will probably not be a problem unless they are one of the most competitive unis in the country.

Good Luck with your new course and it may be that you are better suited to archaeology and get more support so your next uni experience will be much better. I think you are right to switch courses and better to look to the future rather than dwell on what has sadly been a bad experience for you.
smallgayhorse
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
If you are applying to a different uni then your diagnosis of autism and ADHD is something to be mentioned on the UCAS form so the new uni are aware and can take it into account. As it's a completely different course they will look mainly at your A level grades in deciding whether to make you an offer or not, and being one A level grade short will probably not be a problem unless they are one of the most competitive unis in the country.

Good Luck with your new course and it may be that you are better suited to archaeology and get more support so your next uni experience will be much better. I think you are right to switch courses and better to look to the future rather than dwell on what has sadly been a bad experience for you.
That's good to hear, it's not a very competitive course or uni so hopefully my grades will be okay. And thank you! I suspect archaeology will be a better choice, and now I know about my conditions I'll be able to manage them. Just need to get a reference and then I'll be all good to apply
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's good to hear, it's not a very competitive course or uni so hopefully my grades will be okay. And thank you! I suspect archaeology will be a better choice, and now I know about my conditions I'll be able to manage them. Just need to get a reference and then I'll be all good to apply
Good Luck
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thank you for reading, and apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
I can't really help in terms of transfer, but I did Egyptology, and some of my friends on the archaeology course had ADHD and autism, so if you need any help or advice, I have quite a good understanding of adjustments available to them on the course.
smallgayhorse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edminzodo)
I can't really help in terms of transfer, but I did Egyptology, and some of my friends on the archaeology course had ADHD and autism, so if you need any help or advice, I have quite a good understanding of adjustments available to them on the course.
Hi! Sorry for the slow reply. An idea of what adjustments I can expect would be really helpful, thank you! I haven't had any kind of academic adjustments before so I'm not 100% sure on what I'm likely to receive. Also, did they struggle significantly more than their non-autistic/non-ADHD classmates?
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! Sorry for the slow reply. An idea of what adjustments I can expect would be really helpful, thank you! I haven't had any kind of academic adjustments before so I'm not 100% sure on what I'm likely to receive. Also, did they struggle significantly more than their non-autistic/non-ADHD classmates?
I'll send you a direct message
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.52%
Confident (14)
9.03%
Indifferent (16)
10.32%
Unsure (38)
24.52%
Worried (80)
51.61%

Watched Threads