Coping with Eating Disorders at University

Watch
Calliso
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Content Warning: Eating Disorder discussion

Hello everyone! My name is Annabelle, I'm 18 years old and I'll (hopefully, if results day goes well) be beginning undergraduate study this October.

I've exhibited Eating Disorder behaviours ever since I can remember, which manifested itself into restriction in my early teens, and has somewhat recently developed into bulimia. I find that my binge/purge cycle is heightened during periods in which I'm under stress at school, which in turn is also when I feel most insecure.

I've been feeling a lot better during this quarantine period, though of course I've experience the odd slip-up, and I was just wondering if anybody currently studying at university had any tips on how to remain in control without their regular family/friends support system. Alternatively, if you are also going to university this year, I'm interested in knowing how you plan to keep up with your own recovery.

It's especially worrying to me since I know I'll be living on my own, without my family, and have sole control over my finances (more specifically, food shopping). I'm particularly worried that if I tell people from the get go that I struggle with food, they may think that I'm attention seeking/too much to handle/weird; though, this may just be the insecurities talking. I'm sure that I'll be able to find someone to confide in, predominantly so that if they notice me slipping into old habits they'll be able to help pull me from that sort of mindset.

Then again, I don't want to have to rely on anyone, since I'd be putting quite a sizeable burden on someone who didn't ask for nor deserve it.

I do trust myself to make the right decisions, but it's easier said than done when you're actually in the situation. I have no idea how I'll feel when I the work starts piling on again.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Similarly, if you'd like to confide in me about your own struggles with food, I'm all ears!

Thank you!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Calliso)
Content Warning: Eating Disorder discussion

Hello everyone! My name is Annabelle, I'm 18 years old and I'll (hopefully, if results day goes well) be beginning undergraduate study this October.

I've exhibited Eating Disorder behaviours ever since I can remember, which manifested itself into restriction in my early teens, and has somewhat recently developed into bulimia. I find that my binge/purge cycle is heightened during periods in which I'm under stress at school, which in turn is also when I feel most insecure.

I've been feeling a lot better during this quarantine period, though of course I've experience the odd slip-up, and I was just wondering if anybody currently studying at university had any tips on how to remain in control without their regular family/friends support system. Alternatively, if you are also going to university this year, I'm interested in knowing how you plan to keep up with your own recovery.

It's especially worrying to me since I know I'll be living on my own, without my family, and have sole control over my finances (more specifically, food shopping). I'm particularly worried that if I tell people from the get go that I struggle with food, they may think that I'm attention seeking/too much to handle/weird; though, this may just be the insecurities talking. I'm sure that I'll be able to find someone to confide in, predominantly so that if they notice me slipping into old habits they'll be able to help pull me from that sort of mindset.

Then again, I don't want to have to rely on anyone, since I'd be putting quite a sizeable burden on someone who didn't ask for nor deserve it.

I do trust myself to make the right decisions, but it's easier said than done when you're actually in the situation. I have no idea how I'll feel when I the work starts piling on again.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Similarly, if you'd like to confide in me about your own struggles with food, I'm all ears!

Thank you!
Hi. I don’t really have any advice but just want to say good luck. I’m hoping to start uni in October too and struggle with anorexia. It will probably be challenging but so long as you seek help if you need and have ways to cope with situations and people you can talk to even if not directly about your ed hopefully it will be alright
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you gotten help for your ED?
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Could you try and arrange weekly counselling at uni for your eating disorder?

Counselling massively helped me to recover when I was at college, but I wasn't struggling by the time I went to uni so afraid don't really have any advice for that specifically Just try and get some professional help, call your friends and family whenever you feel like you need some support
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (154)
38.4%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.67%
Look for a job (14)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.24%
Take a year out (68)
16.96%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed