csmith20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Would be really grateful if anybody could help. I potentially want to study at university starting September 2020. I have a good idea of the subject and university in question, but haven’t arranged any student finance / accommodation. Is it possible to make a clearing application and still arrange finance to pay for accommodation and student loan with the time available? Or would I have to make a normal application next year ?

Also if you were to make that finance application and get a payout then decide “last minute” to not to go university , are you stuck with the money and have to pay it back with interest? Or can you return what’s left and pay off anything you spent? Don’t want to rush to make applications and then be trapped into something.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by csmith20)
Would be really grateful if anybody could help. I potentially want to study at university starting September 2020. I have a good idea of the subject and university in question, but haven’t arranged any student finance / accommodation. Is it possible to make a clearing application and still arrange finance to pay for accommodation and student loan with the time available? Or would I have to make a normal application next year ?

Also if you were to make that finance application and get a payout then decide “last minute” to not to go university , are you stuck with the money and have to pay it back with interest? Or can you return what’s left and pay off anything you spent? Don’t want to rush to make applications and then be trapped into something.
If you apply for student finance now (don’t delay) then there’s a reasonable chance that you will receive the basic loan amount paid at the start of your course. If you hope to get any income assessed loan then the household income assessment process takes longer and so might arrive a few weeks or months into term.

if you don’t start a course then SFE don’t pay out a penny.

accommodation availability is going to depend on where you want to study and your preferences for type of accommodation. There are quite a few places where students deferring are trying to find someone to replace them in accommodation - in some cases they’re willing to pay some of the rent in order to make sure they find a new tenant and avoid liability for rent for 9-12 months.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (160)
38.55%
Take autumn exams (126)
30.36%
Look for a job (15)
3.61%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.34%
Take a year out (70)
16.87%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
6.27%

Watched Threads